THE BOH.COM MEARLS
A mearls is a play-by-poll D&D game where you don't choose between pre-written paths: you write your own.  Why is it called a mearls?
 New Mearls!
You swear allegiance to King Constant insofar as it doesn't conflict with your existing oath. "You'll have to take one of the castles and hold it against roving orc war bands. One is ruled by a bandit wizard, the other haunted by something supernatural. I'll help you outfit an expedition when my family affairs are settled." And now let's take a short real-time break before the next Mearls chapter!
The game so far: (Character sheet)
Dec 21 15
"North of Jarth," says Constant, "lies the barony of Hilgrain: two ruined castles and a few empty villages, on the edge of the wild ruins. It's an appointment no one wants. If you tame it, you will be protecting my border and Redrill's. I can make you baroness of this land and mistress of its future wealth. If you don't want to owe fealty to two monarchs, I can appoint you its salaried governor."
Since Esmarine could't grant me Land yet, I'll take my chances with Hilgrain. Any rumors I have to know?
9
I will protect both your borders and swear fealty to each of you. Just grant me a small force and some money for supplies so that I can make my start.
2
Swearing fealty to two monarchs will cause problems for future generations. Salaried governor is acceptable.
7
Nothing bad can happen if we swear fealty to two monarchs. It's like having two best friends!
1
Dec 15 15
"If we share your western border," says Queen Esmarine, "we can reach Canticle without skirting the wild ruins." Constant replies, "It would be irreligious to bar your passage to the holy city. Jarth in exchange for Dennod, and your hand on the bargain." The monarchs shake hands. Constant turns to you. "Lady Mearls, we both owe your our kingdoms. What reward can I offer you? Lands? gold? magic?"
Adventure and thus the chance for all of those.
6
A Tavern at the new trading route
14
Land. It matters not if it's dangerous, cursed or strange.
21
Magic of course!
4
A personal Wizard Butler
4
An Adventurer's Academy at the new trading route
4
The legal right to punch anyone in the face, at any time, without repercussions.
4
Dec 1 15
A month later, you and Queen Esmarine are negotiating with King Constant and Helena. "I acknowledge you as Queen of Redrill," Constant sighs, "but I can't give up everything north of the Fire Plains. Crowther Grange, yes, Henslow, yes, but Dennod is the key to the north trade. Isn't there anything else you'd accept? A company of Spellswords?" Helena smiles: "Leander the Actor's weight in gold?"
Can we get the map again?
8
If Constant needs safe passage through Dennod why not give it to Esmarine, but Constant has a right of veto to whom it is given as a fief? Perhaps Leander wants to enrich his skills as a governor?
4
Are there any negotiable territories that would open trade opportunities for Esmarine?
9
Leave Dennod in one monarch's hand, but make unalterable law that merchants from both may pass through the city with whatever goods tax-free. Split the gross tax revenue from Dennod 70-30, with the greater share going to the one who doesn't have physical control. Maybe for the 30% monarch Dennod doesn't see a tax profit. May be easier to agree to this than one getting the whole dripping roast.
2
Nov 4 15
You and the King's knights (DM rolls 1d20+4: 23!) disarm the Duke's knights and send the peasants home. (DM rolls 1d2: 1!) The Duke lives, but his power, and his threat to Redrill, is ended. You completed like 9 quests! You level up to 6! You can learn a third-level spell of your choice (consult SRD to refresh your memory).
Tongues
11
Sepia Snake Sigil!
4
Dispel Magic
21
Wind Wall
6
Nondetection
5
Tiny Hut
7
Lightning Bolt
20
Shrink Item
3
Irene
4
I don't understand why we don't want Fireball. It is traditional!
6
Summon Explosive Cantaloupe
2
Oct 30 15
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 16!) Slowly the Duke's knights lower their weapons. The King drops to his knees and cradles his brother. Beside you, Sir Alden sighs. "Brother Brookside. If by ill luck the Duke lives, heal him." He appraises you. "Your potion saved His Majesty. Heart of a paladin but he couldn't out-duel a cat. You can only be the famous Lady Mearls. What now? We're outnumbered two to one by armed prisoners."
The villages around will need steel for their tools and workforce to help with the next harvest.
4
First they must all abandon their weapons. We must identify the leaders, but the common soldier should be set free to return to their homes.
7
Kill them all; make an example!
2
Those who swear loyalty to the King should be released with weapons and armour. Disarm those who won't, but let them free as well. Only arrest the leaders or those who fight back.
5
Everyone of them surrenders and gives their weapons over. Those who swear fealty to the King get their weapons back. The leaders of the war lose their arms, properties, and titles and must choose between exile or imprisonment.
4
Oct 27 15
You proffer the horn. King Constant drains the potion, swings his sword expertly, and walks out to meet the Duke. (DM rolls 1d20+2: 13!) The two (DM rolls 1d20+7: 8!) (DM rolls 1d20+4: 14!) (DM rolls 1d20+7: 23!) (DM rolls 1d8+2: 3!) (DM rolls 1d20+4: 10!) batter each others' armor. The Duke takes a minor wound. "I can continue," he gasps. (DM rolls 1d20+7: 14!) (DM rolls 1d20+4: 6!) (DM rolls 1d20+7: 27!) (DM rolls 2d8+2: 11!) A minute later, the King slashes the Duke down. In the distance, the Duke's men yell in horror. A few seem ready to charge.
Yell out "Amnesty for those who submit to the King's mercy. Death for those who continue to fight."
9
Wait for any mounted troops to get up to speed, then cast _sleep_ targeting the horses.
2
Return to my unit at the gate.
2
Let them charge. Our sons will plow their fields.
2
Heal the Duke before he dies; force him to publicly submit to the King.
5
Oct 23 15
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 10!) You shout, "Angelia! The TULIPS are on FIRE!" (DM rolls 1d20: 7!) She flinches. Tulip (DM rolls 1d20+4: 17!) looses her arrow and hits (DM rolls 1d8+4: 10!) (DM rolls 3d6: 12!). Staggering back, Angelia (DM rolls 1d20+7: 9!) slashes wildly at the king, who (DM rolls 1d20: 20!) deftly plucks her dagger from her hand. "Sir Alden, please restrain Lady Angelia with due courtesy, and see to her wound," he says calmly. "Spy, give me your magic potion. I've got a civil war to win."
Become visible and kneel to offer the horn.
19
I think the Mearls got broken a little back there, boss.
4
Oct 13 15
(DM rolls 1d20+3: 9!) Your speech elicits a wave of anger. "Beaten by a blasted mind reader," she thinks. "Just like in Temera." Lady Angelia suddenly appears, dagger in hand, reaching for the king. The knight slices at her (DM rolls 1d20+4: 13!) and misses. (DM rolls 1d20+4: 21!) Angelia snakes her dagger around the king's throat. "As you know, I have no antidote. Pour out your potion and I'll release the king."
Cast sleep targeting her
6
Use enchanter ability to distract her attention for the brief second that Tulip will need to strike.
12
MORTALUS! Rewind one scene.
11
and then do what?
3
Become visible and look at all the knights. "Seriously?"
2
Oct 7 15
She's thinking, "Can't run - that damned elf will hear me. Can't fight - break invisibility and get slaughtered. Can't let the king drink from Sir Alec's horn either. Think, Angelia! Paralyze the king and bluff about an antidote? Best option. Time's up, let's do this!" She creeps towards the king.
Break her invisibility the hard way. Burning Hands everywhere.
4
Tackle her.
4
Shout a warning to the King and directions for Tulip to shoot her.
6
Talk to her. "We know there's no antidote, Angelia. Please surrender. Giving your life here won't accomplish a thing."
17
Don't let her know we're reading her thoughts!
2
Talk to her. "Even if you succeed, our clerics will torture you until you die of old age. Then a druid will reincarnate you and we will torture you as a squirrel or whatever. When the wind erodes the bedrock above your cell you'll be moved. Only once our sun is extinguished will you be released to be tormented in hell."
2
perform a surprise cunt-punt on her sorry ass
1
Sep 24 15
You know the woman's location: she's creeping around near the king, keeping on the move. (DM rolls 1d20+3: 4!) Tulip has lost track of her and is listening carefully for noises. Now that you've located her, you could (among other things) read her thoughts. The King says, "Lord Alden, if this woman kills me, you must lead this army, crush the rebellion, and execute my brother in the name of the Queen my wife."
Read her thoughts
15
Light her up with Burning Hands - she'll smolder for a bit, I expect, and Tulip will be able to see that.
8
Cast sleep targetting her.
10
SSplash her with liquid light
5
Sleep is a bad move because she could be an elf or level 5. A splash could miss. Burning Hands is save for half so she's boned.
8
MORTALUS
7
ifjgFlin
2
cFlFJsXny
1
Sep 21 15
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 12!) Your spellcasting is covered by the disembodied voice of the woman from the Duke's bedroom. "I can stab the King before any of you can stop me," she says. Tulip, arrow on bowstring, says, "I'm not so sure about that." The knight draws his sword but doesn't know where to strike. You finish the spell. You can either try to pinpoint the woman's location or read her surface thoughts.
Read her thoughts and slowly lie down.
15
Pinpoint her location and prepare to distract her attention with enchanter ability.
15
"Go ahead and stab the King. I refuse to be ruled by anyone with less than 5 Hit Points."
7
But who knows what level thief she is?
1
Note to self: research silent spellcasting
Sep 15 15
"The Duke's men have a history of using these potions," you say truthfully. "If two combatants have equal advantages, the winner is chosen by fate." The king considers and says, "Very well. Give me the potion." (DM rolls 1d20+4: 22!) Tulip approaches and says quietly to the King: "This is none of my business, Your Majesty, but are you aware that there are two invisible people standing next to you?"
Spin like a top with arms out, hoping to connect with the second invisible person!
8
Detect thoughts
16
"Nope, just me. It looks like two people because of how powerful I am."
1
Sep 9 15
You skulk away, cast Invisibility, and race to the King. A knight is saying, "At least, Majesty, appoint a champion!" "No need," you say. The King and knight goggle: you add, "I'm Helena's invisible spy. Arthana is ours, Majesty; now drink this potion, beat the Duke, and we've won." The knight cries, "The King will drink no invisible poisons!" The King adds, "I'll accept no unfair advantages!"
what do we know of the duke's unfair advantages?
6
Tell the him the potion is not an unfair advantage, but will level the field, and due to his superior battle abilities, he is destined to win.
9
Swig the flask, dismiss the spell, and proclaim "Then let me serve as your champion!"
4
#2 and We can also delay until the Duke's messengers from Arthana telling of the loyalty of Arthana to the King. Then wait for the Duke's consort to convince to not pursue this folly.
3
Being born a King's son isn't an unfair advantage? Scrape turnips beside a hovel and you'll decide you like your unfair advantages just fine.
1
Sep 1 15
The King and Duke meet each other alone and talk quietly. Finally, each returns to his troops. The Duke yells, "To avoid a bloody civil war, my brother and I have agreed to single combat to decide the inheritance of the kingdom! If I lose, my brother will grant you all amnesty. If I win, we ride in triumph to Arthana!" Everyone cheers. Meanwhile, the King is arguing with all his knights.
We need to assist the king and update him on our triumph in Arthana. Let's use invisibility to get over to him and allow him use the drinking horn of melee mastery.
20
The king doesn't have like 20 wizards to all Dispel Magic and then Magic Missile the Duke? What kind of half-assed kingdom is this? We could do a better job. Assassinate them both.
5
Aug 26 15
You take the purse (10 gold). Your followers join 20 spear-armed militia in front of the gate. On the wall above you are 30 crossbowmen. In front of you, the Duke waits with 20 horsemen and a flag of truce. An hour later, a distant cloud of dust resolves into 30 approaching horse, led by the King in gold armor. At his side is Tulip. They stop before the Duke, just out of earshot.
Trick the lost knight into stepping forward and follow him, aparently to hold him back.
5
Trust Tulip and the King. Hold back here to see what happens from a more useful position (flanking the Duke.)
16
Quietly start rumours in the ranks that the Duke is about to abandon the milita.
9
Aug 21 15
"Excuse me, sir," you say, "we've heard rumors that we're standing against our King. We're not sure where our duty lies." (DM rolls 1d20+3: 15!) The knight looks startled. "Henslow militia certainly is an ethical bunch. And armed with swords too! Not paladins in disguise, are you? Ho ho! In this case, duties to Duke and King cancel each other out. Follow whoever rewards you best." He offers you a clinking purse.
Seduce him.
4
Use distract attention ability to get everyone's attention. Yell to everyone "The traitorous Duke has been offered mercy and will withdraw. Consider if your life is worth a few coins and the shame of treason when the King arrives!"
6
We're not actually with the militia, everybody here should already be on our side (ideally), except the lost knight. Smile politely, accept the purse, and go with the knight to the front gate. That will be a good place to observe and influence what's coming. [Who is here, exactly?]
8
"A paladin must be a good man. We're loyal to our King despite having the choice. And we're not alone in fighting the Duke. If you care most about wealth, consider the fate of whoever sides with the losing Duke and the rewards the winning King will bestow."
4
Aug 17 15
You return to your camp and rest. Over breakfast, you tell your friends about your mission. Your sergeant says, "If that was Lady Angelia, the Duke will listen to her. Guess we won't be fighting today. Have a sausage." You're still eating when (DM rolls 1d12: 4!) a knight comes by. He says, "You the militia from Henslow? You're with me in front of the main gate. Get armed. The enemy will be here by noon."
"You first, sergeant!" Let's see who our enemy is supposed to be.
1
Let's obey his orders but try to position ourselves some place where we can easily disrupt the Duke's troops' lines.
3
Share our intelligence with the Knight before doing option 2.
12
Option 2 only. This is not the same knight we saw in the chapel.
2
By the way, is there a reason we're in front of the gate instead of in, on, or behind it? Shall we blunt our swords and take off our armor before the battle also? If every officer we have will sabotage our chances with the intensity and creativity of this knight, our cause is hopeless.
1
Aug 14 15
This (DM rolls 1d6: 2!) young woman is standing vigil. (DM rolls 1d20: 8!) Detect Thoughts reveals that she is struggling with her conflicting loyalties to the duke, who knighted her, and the king, who's never spoken to her. A typical knight might be the match of 5 lesser soldiers; the Duke has a dozen knights in his retinue, so his army of 50 is stronger than its numbers suggest.
Disguise Self as a member of militia, and approach the card game. Expose the city gaurd and start a fight.
2
Use Charm Person on the knight if we can do so without being observed.
3
Enter the chapel and introduce myself as the King's lawful agent. Plead that a chapel is not the place for violence but that the knight should tell her colleagues that they should support no armed action until the King has the opportunity to address their grievances upon his arrival. Say that the Duke has agreed to a truce until that time and any orders to the contrary would be unlawful and duplic...
5
We are wounded and nearly out of spells. This is valuable intelligence, but right now we need rest and to share it with our allies.
8
Enter the chapel under Disguise Self as a squire. Sit to pray next to the knight. After a bit, ask for advice on exactly the question the knight is pondering, giving the reasons why on each aside - but heavily favoring the king's position and mentioning the duke's coup. See if the knight will change her own mind. Mention: I have faith even though God has never spoken to me.
3
Aug 12 15
(DM rolls 1d20: 12!) Windows in the barracks are open. You fly through undetected. There seem to be about 40 soldiers, plus the handful out on night watch. Most are asleep, but a knight is praying in the small chapel, and in the cafeteria, a city guard sergeant is winning money at cards against a handful of country militia. Looking over his shoulder, you see he's got cards tucked in his sleeve.
Use Detect Thoughts on the knight. How rare are knights, and how tough does this guy or gal look?
13
We only have a few minutes of flying, lets gets back to camp and get some healing.
2
Aug 4 15
You cast Fly and leap off the roof. In the darkness, your escape is easy. Are there any more stops you wish to make in town? Below you see the temple, city gate, mayor's house, barracks, warehouses, and some moored ships. Or will you return to your followers' camp and rest?
Return to camp and rest
6
^^^ We are flying and we have Burning Hands left! Let's see if we can set some ships afire and burn through their mooring ropes at the same time.
8
The mayor should know about the duke - let's wake him!
2
Let's safely survey the barracks, try to get a feel for the Duke's numbers or see if anything's afoot.
13
Jul 30 15
(DM rolls 1d20+3: 10!) You flick a finger. One guard glances behind. The other guard shouts "Intruder!" and fires her crossbow. (DM rolls 1d20+2: 11!) Her aim is wide but the bolt curves towards you, drawn by your armor, and hits you solidly for (DM rolls 1d8: 7!) damage. You (DM rolls 1d20: 20!) glide to the rooftop and disappear in the shadows. The inn has second floor balconies and an inner courtyard. The nearest building is across a 15-foot jump.
Cast fly and make our getaway whilst keeping the building between us and the archers.
8
Follow the guard who shot us and keep him constantly distracted for the rest of his life. Never again shall he remember an appointment or anniversary!
3
Say "Mortalus" and instead of jumping out the window, disguise yourself as the woman with the hat of disguise and walk out the room the way we came.
6
Jul 27 15
(DM rolls 1d20+3: 16!) The woman offers no resistance as you swing out the window in approved swashbuckler fashion. (DM rolls 1d20: 13!) As you cling to the second-floor window ledge, a voice below shouts "Halt!" Two guards below the window are pointing crossbows up at you.
[Question for DM: Do we have any more uses of Sleep?]
Our armour attracts arrows so we have to be careful. Move along the ledge and get out of the line of fine until we can get down and run into the darkness.
1
Use Enchanter ability to distract their attention for a second - long enough to slip away into the shadows.
10
"Quiet, you fools! The Duke desired merely a twosome this evening. Bring my horse or the finest trampoline available immediately!" I voted for this one.
3
[We recalled Sleep on July 14th, but I'm loath to spend it right off...] They're both in range of Burning Hands. Scorch them down, duck around a corner, and Fly away!
2
Back in, shove the Duke under the Bed so there's place for me, and on with the hat of disguise!
3
Say "Mortalus" and instead of jumping out the window, disguise yourself as the woman with the hat of disguise and walk out the room the way we came.
1
Jul 22 15
(DM rolls 1d20+3: 18!) She considers for a long time. "You may be right, but Max won't surrender to a shadow in the night. I propose this: When the King arrives, I'll convince Max to delay battle until we get news from Arthana. If it's really turned against us, I think I can convince Max to surrender instead of raising rebellion in the north."
"What if you can't convince him? Do you take responsibility for the dead this will bring?"
5
Question: Have things actually gone poorly for Arthana? Things have gone badly for the Duke in Arthana but very well for you.
2
"Four of the Duke's riders will arrive tomorrow from Arthana, they will confirm the truth of what I say. If the Duke pursues this folly many deaths will occur, alas, perhaps his..." Take our leave via the window.
17
Jul 21 15
The woman sounds shaken. "You have my attention. Keep talking, and make it good. How do you know so much about us? If not the King, who sent you?"
I identify as a Spellsword. "The Duke has already lost his support in town. Leading villagers to a battle means butchering them." I prepare to grab her and teleport with her to the Princess in case she attacks me.
5
The King has already destroyed the Duke's power in Arthana and is only a day away. Hartwin and the Duke's other allies have been neutralized. You can escape back to the Sea Cities and the King is willing to let his brother and you live.
17
Oh man I totally woulda voted #2 but you have weird boxes in there which I can't abide.
2
Jul 17 15
You cast Sleep. You hear regular breathing from the bed. (DM rolls 1d20+4: 10!) You sense someone behind you. (DM rolls 1d20+3: 10!) You feel something sharp against your side. A woman's voice whispers, "Try another spell and I'll carve out your liver. Who might you be? King Constant doesn't employ assassins." You don't think the woman knows about the mithril armor between her dagger and your liver.
[Clarification: We're visible after casting Sleep, correct?] Yes.
1
Act unconcerned. "And here I was wondering how the Duke hadn't already been murdered. I'm freelance. I was hoping to offer my services in a suitably scary way."
3
Say "I am no assassin but the King's lawful agent. I come to arrest the Duke for treason and you best step away before you suffer the same fate."
3
This must be the Duke's lover (Lady Angelia) as referred to in the perfumed letters we found hidden in his quarters. Say "If Ethelinde and Starmoor ever wish to return to their island you should listen carefully to what I have to say".
22
Jul 14 15
You close the door. It's pitch black. (DM rolls 1d20: 17!) A woman's voice says, "What was that?" A bed creaks.
Cast sleep on the voice and recall it with the pearl.
11
Wait quietly for our eyes to adjust to the dark. Be careful that we don't block the door.
9
Jul 10 15
You open the door and invisibly slip inside, growling, "Pipe down, you two." (DM rolls 1d20+3: 15!) One of the guards peers past you into the dark room (DM rolls 1d20+2: 9!) and says, "Apologies, your Grace." From the darkness, a bleary voice, gruffer than yours, says, "Who tha? Wha' is it?"
Sleep the Duke, tie him up and explore the room.
4
Quietly close the door before the guards do too much thinking.
15
Cut off the seeeerpent
1
#2 and then #1
2
Jul 7 15
You use invisibility (DM rolls 1d20: 14!) and approach the Duke's sleeping chamber on the third floor. His door is closed. The two guards in front of the door look bored but alert: one paces to the stairs every few minutes to look and listen. What do you do? Also, which of your first-level spells do you NOT have memorized: Sleep, Light, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Burning Hands?
(Don't need Disguise self because of the hat.) Use enchantress charisma check to distract the guards and the magic hand to open the door and enter.
2
Light. We'll have to carry this out in the dark anyway. Mandra has the disguise hat.
4
Don't memorize Light. Open the Duke's door, while invisible gruffly tell the guards to quiet down (in a masculine voice, as if they woke the Duke), enter the room closing the door behind me.
15
Jul 1 15
"Hmm. The Duke eats in the inn's common room with a dozen guardsmen. He sleeps on the top floor with two guards before his door and two in the courtyard under his window. Of course, I've stayed at this inn and I had to climb from that room to the roof once. The Duke goes everywhere with armed cronies: yesterday they inspected the gate and my tents and visited the elven forest. Any ideas?"
Use invisibility to sneak into his room with Mandra. Have her drink some memories to see what she can find out. Stab the duke in his sleep.
4
Use invisibility to sneak in and then the hat of disguise to make myself look like the duke. Sleep him and tie him up and then summon the guards. We will have his own guards escort us with the bound duke to a "private interrogation."
15
Have Prismaticus find Lord Hesperus and get him drunk. What information we can gather may help us plan how to get to the Duke.
2
How do we know it's the real Duke and not a body double? Who are his wizards and priests?
3
Jun 29 15
You disguise your troops in Henslow's ragged militia uniforms and ride to Dennod. (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) You reach the town gates at twilight. A lone carpenter is setting up a series of ill-constructed tents. You recognize your old ally Prismaticus, almost unrecognizable under a giant hood. "Mearls!" he says. "Look at me, reduced to working for a living, AND for a traitor. Is it time to strike against the Duke?"
"Yes, let's remove the head from the serpent. Do you have intelligence about when we could smuggle him out?"
12
"Yes, let's remove the head from the serpent. Do you have intelligence about when we could dispatch him?"
4
"Yes, let's remove the head from the serpent. Do you have intelligence about when we could cut off his serpent?"
2
Jun 25 15
(DM rolls 1d20+3: 5!) "We're with you," says Anna, "but the Duke appointed many of the barons up here, and the common people don't care much who's king. The Duke could field 50 soldiers tomorrow and 500 in a month. Of course, if the King is really riding to Dennod right now, it could all be over in a few days, one way or another."
Thank Anna and take our leave. Turn to my group and say "I think more direct action is called for. If the Duke is mustering forces then he will not know all of the soldiers in his camp. Let us infiltrate with the goal of kidnapping him. Without the head, the insurrection will fade away."
12
Swift action is needed. If we can catch the Duke between our force and the King's before the Duke can raise troops we may have a chance. We have to be careful infiltrating because Lord Hesperus may recognize us.
6
Rally the countryside to the King's cause and hurry to reinforce the Princess. The Duke will be caught between the hammer and the anvil, as he lays siege to Redrill and the King falls upon him from behind.
4
Switch sides to join the Duke
1
I'm gonna need a magic ring and at least four hobbits.
1
Jun 22 15
(DM rolls 1d6: 2!) (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) You make good time to Henslow. The village chief, Anna, is delighted to see you. "Yes, we know where the Duke is," she says. "Our Margaret the weaver just returned from Dennod. She says the Duke and his men rode in and commandeered the inn, and he's raising an army. He's already recruited the Dennod militia and he's planning to raise the local village militias: that includes us."
"What is the Duke saying to recruit your militias? We have broken his support in the capital and he lies about any allies remaining to him."
9
Send messages to the villages, that the King is the Duke's target and to hide and/or evacuate.
6
Make a stand in Henslow, don't let the Duke advance any further...
2
Whatever we do in Henslow we should send a messenger to the Princess to give her time to prepare the castle against an attack.
2
Make a stand, plus send a messenger
1
1
1
Jun 18 15
The fire races closer, until you're riding by a sheet of grassfire a mile away. (DM rolls 1d20: 19!) (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) The fire ahead of you abruptly dies: you've hit the burned-out trail of another herd. (DM rolls 1d3: 2!) For the next few days, you ride safely northwest in the new herd's charred trail. You can leave the safe path and head straight for Dennod or Goizabel's cave or the elf forest or Henslow Village, or follow it to Redrill.
Head for Henslow, I think they owe us a few favours. No point visiting Dennod if the Duke has already come and gone.
13
Let's go to Redrill where the princess is.
2
Ride to Henslow, with all due haste!
2
Ride up behind the herd and capture some fire cattle!
1
Stop for a quick jerky treat snack.
1
Jun 15 15
You spend a few minutes watching. (DM rolls 1d6: 2!) The light seems to be brightening and shifting left. (DM rolls 1d20+4: 6!) "I know nothing of fire cattle," you admit. Timmins guesses, "They're cutting south across our path? I've heard wildfire expands behind them in a V. If we race north, we might skirt the edge without losing too much time. Or we could go back to the road till the fire passes - lose the rest of the day."
North it is, then.
18
Use the gift of the inevitable (Mortalus) and re-decide from [jun 10] one of the other two options.
2
Disbelieve the illusion of the fire and smoke.
2
Jun 12 15
The next morning, you ride northwest, over lush prairie, with Timmins, 12 spellswords, and Mandra, who's magically disguised as a spellsword. "I understand most travelers never see a fire cattle herd," says Timmins, "but if you do, it's best to stay ahead of it." (DM rolls 1d6: 6!) After a few hours of travel, you see smoke ahead of you, and a bright line on the horizon, 10 miles away. "Bad luck," says Timmons.
From what angle is the smoke? Can we move at a tangent to try and skirt it?
4
#1, and a nature check what a fire cattle herd fears the most
11
nature check result: monsoon season
1
Jun 10 15
It's six days ride to Redrill: three days north to Dennod and three days west along the river. You can cut northwest if you brave the Fire Plains. The King is a day's ride north. The Duke could be past Dennod by now. He might be ambushed by Goizabel or led astray by Prismaticus, or he might have stopped to rally troops. Which way will you ride, and will you bring Mandra and the spellswords?
brave the fire plains w/ Mandra and the spellswords
9
(char sheet is missing the notes on old quests/visions/etc.) Have the spellswords and Mandra follow the six-day path. Use my power to teleport directly to Princess Redrill.
7
[hm, where is our elven scout roaming?] Tulip is riding with the King. Prismaticus is with the Duke. Hugh and Louis are riding to Goizabel to prepare an ambush.
Jun 3 15
(DM rolls 1d20+3: 5!) The noble lists some names: all people that Helena is scheduled to arrest today. You take his hat and hustle him to Helena's office. "Good work: you got Marquis Orvain! With my arrests, that's a clean sweep of the Duke's major supporters. The city is solidly pro-King. I can put a dozen spellswords at your disposal." Where to tomorrow: Redrill? catch up with the king or the duke?
Since we have a shortcut to Redrill, we should catch up with the duke - and Mandra should wear the hat, just in case...
18
time to check in at Redrill
2
[The magic word for Time rewind is Mortalus, and the Pearl also protects against Memory theft from Mandra and her kind]
May 29 15
He makes a break for it (DM rolls 1d20+2: 15!) but you and Jasper grab him. You drag him into the privacy of the alley. He sighs. "Very well. I know which way the wind is blowing in the city. Let me go at the nearest city gate and I'll promise not to return. And you'll earn a thousand gold. Two thousand."
"I want names, not coin. Talk, and your king will consider mercy."
2
Two thousand, and Jasper brings him to the gate and collects that fancy hat of him there - just in case he has the desire to return...
2
#1 and take his magic hat
15
Look fixedly at the finest bits of his jewelry and clothes, then comment mildly. "I'm sure you'd fetch a lot more if we ransomed you. That's a very distinctive dueling scar on your note- it's a clear identifier."
1
May 26 15
As you grab the merchant, he shrugs off his hat, and becomes the noble from the theater. He (DM rolls 1d20+5: 18!) delivers a ringing slap on your cheek. "Unhand me, baseborn villain! There. I have insulted you in the presence of witnesses!" (DM rolls 1d8-2: 1!) (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) (A stablehand is scurrying by, not making eye contact.) "Unless you are a craven rogue, you must challenge me to a duel!"
Challenge him to a duel.
3
"We do not lower ourselves to your level. By the authority of the king you will hang for treason". Get him back in the alley.
8
Send Jaspar after the stagehand, turn to the noblewoman: "We will settle the matter of honor after your trial for treason!"
7
(Hm, the character sheet is broken) Offer him a sip from the fake drinking horn: "Are you shure you are up to it?"
3
"Where I'm from, if I kill you right now I gain your women and absorb your powers" *snort* "Such as they are. Throw yourself to the ground and lick my boot before I expand my harem at your expense."
1
May 22 15
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 19!) The merchant is totally the same person as the old lady. He's saying, "What an experience! Let's go into that tavern there and I'll tell you about it."
let's grab him together with Jasper and get him back into the alley
18
May 20 15
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 20!) You caught the distinct shimmer of illusion when he threw a hood on. You and the spellsword sergeant, Jasper, tail the old woman out of the theater. She glances behind; (DM rolls 1d20: 11!) you're not sure if she saw you. She jogs out of sight down an alleyway. A second later, a startled-looking merchant stumbles out of the alley (DM rolls 1d20: 14!). "Sorcery! Witchcraft!" he shouts, pointing behind him.
I'd like to do an knowledge arcana check and sense motive to see if the merchant is in fact the other person in disguise with some type of magical aid.
12
Order Jasper to detain the merchant and proceed cautiously into the alley.
2
May 13 15
Leaving spellswords on guard, you watch the audience. The noble in the private box looks startled to see the curtain rise on living actors. The audience is loudly overjoyed by Leander's clever digs at the Duke. During the last scene, as the audience weeps through Paladinus's dying speech, a servant whispers to the noble. As he leaves his box, (DM rolls 1d20: 17!) he shimmers and becomes a cloaked woman.
follow her
8
Was it a spell or some sort of item-based ability? Bring a spellsword and follow her acting as regular theatre patrons.
15
May 8 15
You grab a prop (DM rolls 1d20+3: 18!) - Paladinus's cape from the play - and flourish it, repeating a line from the first act: "Murderers! Your doom is among you!" The guardsmen look wide-eyed at you. Your allies attack, (DM rolls 1d20+2: 16!) cutting down two guards and (DM rolls 1d20+2: 16!) Sleeping another. The other two back out the door and flee, shrieking, "Paladinus!" "Round 'em up?" asks a Spellsword.
Roll the bodies
1
Round 'em up.
8
"No, I need you at my side. We have to concentrate on the nobles now."
15
May 5 15
Two of you stand at each entrance. A stage door's knob turns stealthily and Redrill guards burst in from the street. Your two spellswords (DM rolls 1d20: 6!) try to slam the door but the guards push inside and (DM rolls 1d20+5: 7!) slash wildly with glistening daggers. Mandra and the other two spellswords leave their entrances and race towards the fray. You're at the other stage door, 50 feet from the fight.
Jump up onto the stage and fire magic missles into the guards.
4
Use a charisma check to distract attention and break the momentum of the fight.
4
#2 and watch out for the poisoned daggers if they have them.
9
Apr 28 15
Leander leads you backstage. You notice that it's accessible through two back doors as well as the stage. You explain that five Redrill guards are on their way. "You're ambushing them? I'll have our costume designer patch that third uniform," says Leander. "We have plenty more costumes if you want them. Where will you be, and should we actors wait in the green room or should we hide?"
We'll let the first two guards come through and then slam the door on the rest. Have the actors ready to continue the second act while we take out the trash.
8
Apr 21 15
Two of your four spellswords can don disguises as Redrill guards. You can take some time to repair a third uniform, but you'd run a small risk of being late to the theater. Each spellsword has one more spell memorized, Burning Blade, but glowing swords may interfere with the disguises. One of the spellswords still has a glowing sword charged with Sleep.
Let's head first to the theatre and try to fix the uniform there
10
Send two guards with the spell memorized in the uniforms to the meetup. Go with the rest back to the theater and hope we can repair the uniform there.
9
Apr 13 15
(DM rolls 1d4+1: 5!) (DM rolls 4d8: 14!) The guard staggers under your magical onslaught. You lock his gaze (DM rolls 1d20+3: 21!). The spellsword jumps across (DM rolls 1d20+3: 8!) clumsily and (DM rolls 1d20+2: 20!) slashes the guard with her glowing sword. He slumps down, asleep. You and your four spellswords have now put three guardsmen to sleep. What now?
Secure the guards and see what can be salvaged from the uniforms into suitable disguises. Are the barracks far enough off that there is time to bolster the disguises, or do we need to rush back with whatever we can scrounge now?
15
#1 and lets get back to the theatre.
9
Apr 10 15
The guard readies his sword to impale the spellsword if she jumps across. It's an impasse; the spellsword can't jump safely but the guard can't knock down the door. Meanwhile, you bash on the ground floor door. (DM rolls 1d20: 7!) It's locked tight. From inside, (DM rolls 1d20: 16!) (DM rolls 1d6: 2!) a child's voice yells, "Leave me alone or I'll freeze you all to icicles!"
Yell "Here is an evildoer who wants to hurt us, if you freeze him, I'll give you a bottle of light!"
7
A quick mutter and magic missiles streak towards the guard, attempting to distract him long enough for the spellsword to jump safely across the gap.
13
In the name King let us in or be party to treason.
2
Apr 7 15
(DM rolls 1d20: 8!) The guard escapes down the alley. You and two spellswords give chase. The guard races up an unseasonably snowy outer staircase along the left wall of the alley and bangs on a stone door at the top, yelling, "Murder!" No one answers. As you follow him up the steps, he (DM rolls 1d20: 19!) jumps across the alley, lands on a second-floor balcony on the right side, and begins hacking at a flimsy wooden door.
Send one spellsword back to strip and bind the other guards. Send the other across the gap, and I'll come up from the ground floor. Make a note of where the snowy doorway is... I remember an emerald prophecy.
14
Use Charisma to distract the guard from hacking at the door while the spellswords close the distance. (and make note about the doorway!)
3
Apr 2 15
"We'll have to cut 'em up a bit to get past their wards," says a spellsword. They murmur arcane words; their swords glow blue. The guardsmen back away and draw their own blades as the spellswords advance. (DM rolls 1d20+4: 22!) Swords clash! Two guardsmen are wounded and drop to the ground, snoring. (DM rolls 1d20: 2!) The last guardsman yells and darts for an alleyway.
Cut him off before he gets into the alley with a spellsword in front and behind. "Stop running and you and your friends will live."
20
Magic Missile the fleeing guard, and give chase if necessary.
5
Mar 26 15
You skulk after the three guardsmen as they jog through town. (DM rolls 1d20: 11!) In a poorly-lit street, one pauses and looks back uncertainly, as if he heard something. Mandra darts forward into the shadows and the spellswords draw their swords. One asks you, "Should we sleep 'em or burn 'em down?"
Sleep 'em - we need unscarred uniforms
25
Burn 'em. We're protecting the King, and we don't need any false flags now.
6
"Neither, I'll take care of this." I use charm on the guardsman that paused.
6
Mar 23 15
The guardsmen get outside. You hurry Mandra and your four spellswords after them. (DM rolls 1d4: 3!) The guardsmen are splitting up: three heading into town and five towards their barracks. Arrest them now or wait till they split up?
We wait till they split up - so we can exchange them individually with the spellwords.
1
Gang up on the three, we can use their unifroms to ambush the others when they return.
19
Mar 19 15
The nobleman is saying, "This jest may laugh us out of the city, but if we act fast, we'll have the last laugh. You three stay with me. The rest, go into the city and come back with poisoned daggers." He's thinking, "If the curtain rises on poisoned actors, that catchphrase plays into our hands." Eight of the guardsmen leave the private box and head for the main exit.
We need to arrest the eight guardsmen - and perhaps put some spellswords in their uniforms?
11
recall Sleep and cast it on the eight guardsmen.
1
We need evidence - leave the spell swords and follow the eight. Use the pearl to recast sleep once they have the poisoned daggers on them.
3
Our sleep spell probably will not take care of eight guardsmen at once. Share what knowledge I have gained with my allies and warn (but don't alarm) the actors. What ever happened to that servant?
5
Mar 16 15
She drops. Nearby theatergoers slump in their seats. (DM rolls 1d20: 11!) As the Duke, Leander recaptures attention with an ad-libbed monologue about a love affair with a snake. (DM rolls 1d20+5: 24!) At intermission, the exhilarated crowd bursts out of the theater, repeating the Duke's new catchphrase, "goodness snake!" (DM rolls 2d8: 11!) A dozen Duke's men have gathered in a private box. A nobleman appears to be giving them quiet orders.
Stroll over and call the nobleman a snake.
6
Cast Detect Thoughts - gather intel until the noble thinks of something he's afraid of or embarrassed by.
3
Detect thoughts on the nobleman and his retinue. Likely we may have to act after the end of the play.
9
Mar 13 15
You wave a spellsword after the servant. Your other spellswords cheer. (DM rolls 1d20: 7!) Leander can't be heard in the din. A red-faced guardswoman trips over people's legs as she approaches you, hand on her sword. She pushes a spellsword and yells, "Quiet, traitor, or draw sword!"
She wants to be quiet? Well, she can have it - use sleep on her. (Any chance her sword hase some worth? take it...)
3
Cast sleep on her, and arrest her in the name of the king.
13
Use enchanting charisma to convince the guardswoman she should leave and go home.
2
Mar 5 15
You dispatch Louis (DM rolls 1d20: 8!) and take 5 spellswords and Mandra to the theater. (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) You pass heralds yelling, "Special performance at the Rose! Leander plays two roles!" The theater is unusually crowded, with many nobles in attendance. Leander plays the Duke of Aventus as a scheming, treacherous caricature of Duke Maxen. A few guardsmen stand and boo. A noble sends a servant towards the exit.
put the noble and his servant to sleep
2
Have a spellsword waylay the servant outside in the dark, find out his task and discretely indispose of him for a while. Have our allies make noise and cheer Leanders performance.
19
Mar 3 15
(DM rolls 1d20: 11!) You commandeer a packhorse from the King's baggage train and follow Hugh and Louis. You arrive to find a dispirited Louis at the gate, being glared at by suspicious guards. "They got away. We argued with the guards but we didn't have the authority to shut the gate. The riders left three minutes ago. Hugh went ahead to keep them in sight; he'll chalk-mark any signposts he passed."
"Flight will be quicker!" Cast fly and invisibility on myself and start after them at top speed.
7
"I'll follow them on horseback!"
1
Send Hugh and Louis to ride through the night to King Goizabel and ask him to lay an ambush with his hobs. Then go to the king to warn him and remind him to watch out for his Emerald Munificence. We shall stay here.
9
Feb 27 15
Horses clop into the courtyard. You and Helena go out to see the King, Tulip, and a few dozen horsemen filing out the gate. Helena yells, "Good hunting!" A few minutes later, Hugh and Louis ride up. "We drank Frederic under the table and spied on the Master of Horse. He arranged the horses for the King, and now he's sending (DM rolls 1d4: 4!) four fast riders to warn the Duke. They headed for the east gate."
To the east gate! A sleep spell will halt them in their tracks!
6
#1 and send Hugh and Louis ahead to delay them and have the gate shut.
14
Feb 25 15
"We strike tonight," you say. Leander says, "Good! See that you have guards in the theater: the Duke's men will be mad enough to murder by act 2. And bring another 2950 gold." You return to Helena and tell her that you've arranged some propaganda. Helena asks, "How many troops will you need for the theater? I have 30 spellswords and was planning to use them all for arrests."
Let's use all 30 for the theatre, in case things get ugly. Be on hand with Mandra to help out.
2
how many exits are there to the theatre? a small group inside with us
6
Split them; 20 for the theatre to protect the actors, and 10 to start the groundwork for arresting nobles. If we can quietly grab a few early, so be it.
4
We don't care about the rabble, it's the nobles we need to be certain are neutralized. Send most with Helena, keep 5 or so with us.
9
Feb 17 15
Leander considers you carefully. Finally he waves back his wizard, drains a giant wineskin, strips to his shorts, and steps on the scale. "177 pounds." The banker and some spellswords begin counting out 2950 GP. Leander says, "Now we're in this together. If you defend us from retribution, I can play Dance of the Clowns to make the Duke laughed at by every tongue in Arthana. When do we strike?"
As soon as everything is in place.
1
[I have no idea. Can somebody check what we've arranged so far? Maybe we should have Leander wait for a signal?]
2
Coordinate with Helena, work with her to arrest the nobles after the play, then get to Redrill ASAP via tree teleportation.
11
"Your performance will occur tonight. Perhaps there is a rumor that the king himself may be there incognito. The name of Leander will be written into legend." Our troops will strike tonight before the king departs.
6
"Never!" I run him through with my sword and spit on his corpse. "Only a fool would trust a man with so little integrity."
3
Feb 11 15
(DM rolls 1d20: 16!) The next morning, you head to to the theater with six Spellswords, two chests of gold, and a giant scale. (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) Leander, looking hung over, is standing next to a Bank of Tiamat agent and the wizard your men bribed. Leander says, "Mearls. I've lived my life among liars. If I do my part honestly for once, and help your king, will you pledge your honor that I'll get the other 2/3 of my gold?"
"Your test of honesty is already strained but you have the opportunity to redeem yourself now. Disavow any trickery, treat me honestly and follow our bargain. The gold will be yours in equal measure to the honesty you show."
12
"If you deal fairly and honestly with me, I pledge the same to you." Give him a chance to change his mind about having the wizard Enlarge him.
11
Not sure what he's up to here, so let's cast Detect Thoughts.
3
"This is not a time of bargains, it is a time of upheaval. The sea shall rise and scour the earth, leaving nothing the same. The spoils are divided among the victors by their king, in proportion to their contributions. We are none of us kings, who perch atop the only islands in that sea.
1
Feb 9 15
Hugh and Louis dress foppishly and go in search of Frederick. That night, your spellsword agent reports: "I followed Leander: first he went to the Bank of Tiamat, where it's impossible to eavesdrop. Then he invited some actor friends over for a feast. He said that he had a new patron who paid actors by weight. When they were drunk, they sent a messenger to search for a wizard to cast Enlarge."
"haha - we should intercept the wizard and pay him to cast Shrink instead."
12
Spread the word that I am such a wizard. We should infiltrate that feast.
8
Add a time delayed enlarge spell on the food. Near the end of the feast, everyone will throw up.
2
Feb 4 15
"Very well. Our challenge will be arresting nobles under the noses of the Duke's Guard, who outnumber us. Meet me tomorrow afternoon; we'll strike in the evening. Dismissed." Meanwhile, do you have orders for your other allies? Tulip is preparing to ride with the cavalry; Mandra the tick woman is skulking nearby; and your men-at-arms Hugh and Louis each have a fast Maravian horse.
hough and louis follow the gold, each with liquid light to mark it if an emergency rises. My ear is all Mandras.
8
Lord Du Gast and his son Frederick are likely targets. Let's have Hugh and Louis scout for them under the pretense of some horse racing. Mandra can strike later that evening if we need more information.
12
Hugh and Louis kidnap the nobles' first sons, that way we don't have to arrest the nobles.
3
Feb 2 15
You and Helena pore over troop lists. "After your meeting with Leander tomorrow, the King will ride north to Redrill with thirty horse against the Duke's twenty," she says. "Meanwhile, I'll stay in Arthana and try to capture the Duke's foremost allies. If either strike fails, we have full civil war. I'd like you to second the King's cavalry, unless you think you're of more use in the city."
I should stay here in the city to deal with any trouble from Leander and the Duke's other conspirators. But let me send my companion Tulip to fight for the King, as I have other ways of getting to Redrill quickly.
14
As above, but pass Tulip the charged dagger, then make her a potion of light and some sleep-drugged food.
4
Jan 30 15
"Bring a scale. I'll eat all I can tonight." Leander shakes your hand. You return to Helena and describe your bargain. "Nine thousand gold to flip five dozen troops," she muses. "Mercenaries might be cheaper, but Leander's influence makes it a good bargain. I'll gather the coin. Lady Mearls, take two spellswords to make the payment tomorrow. Make any preparations you need to keep the money safe."
"if you can put a discrete spellsword to follow Leander. if I can buy him, so can others. Let us see who he shares news of this venture with."
5
#1 and discuss remaining ways to thwart the Duke with Helena.
3
#2, and we should expect an ambush. Leander may yet try to have the gold of the King and the Duke
10
#3: we need some easy to break phiols so we can use liquid light as a marker
2
Jan 29 15
(DM rolls 1d20+2: 13!) "Hmm... does a royal assignment come with my weight in gold? My influence is worth every ounce. Half a dozen nobles and knights are in love with me; I virtually command their troops. Furthermore, the day before the civil war begins, I can stage a satire that will make either the Duke or the King a laughingstock: your choice."
"If gold alone is your price, then gold it shall be. 1/3 tomorrow, 1/3 when you betray the Duke and make him a laughingstock, 1/3 when all is done."
12
"If you are so easily bought, I could never trust you. You disappoint me. Farewell."
2
"What guarantee do I have that you would not keep the gold and your considerable influence?"
4
#2, send him to sleep and let Mandra feast on his Memories.
2
Jan 28 15
"Indeed, I think you'll ask more now than the coppers you used to sing for," you say. (DM rolls 1d20+5: 22!) He looks startled. "How the devil? No spy would learn that, nor any spell I know of. Well, if you know my most-guarded thoughts, you already know my price. The Duke has promised me twice my weight in gold...someday. I won't betray him for more someday promises. Pay me half that in cash and I'm your man."
How large is Leander? He might be 170 pounds, which would be 8,500 GP.
3
"Perhaps something more permanent than ephemeral cash might better suit you? The drama of the coming civil war is sure to draw audiences for years to come. I could likely convince my allies that yours company would have sole right to perform for a decade."
7
"I have more Money at hand than the Duke and can't promise you that. But I can offer you a royal assignment. Does that sound like your tune?"
8
"The Duke may pay you eventually, should he succeed. If he does not, the hangman will choose your last performance. Let me evaluate your worth, and make a fair offer. You can always return to your doomed deal with his Grace."
1
"I think we can work with that! Here's my proposal. We'll give you a third in 24 hours and you tell us how you'll betray the Duke. You get the next third when you do the deed, and the final third when he's captured or dead."
1
Jan 23 15
Just to be clear - do you want to bring in Mandra to attack Leander and try to drink a new memory? or introduce her and describe her powers? or have her describe the memory she already drank from Leander? or something else?
I want to have Mandra feed on Leander.
2
Introduce her in her full glory, let her explain where we met, her powers, and perhaps describe the memory she drank.
3
Simply describe the memory that she drank. We don't want Leander to know how we know. Instead we let him imply that we know all the other things as well.
17
Jan 20 15
"'Then dear Iolo, let me, losing, conqueror be.' Apt quote. Although Iolo stabs Gwenno in that play." (DM rolls 1d20: 11!) Leander gestures to a chair. "Let's drop our masks. I suspect that you're not a lovestruck noble, and you suspect I'm not a simple thespian. I think you want something from me, and I'll tell you frankly, I'm perfectly willing to entertain offers."
"No masks it is. I want you to drop your support for the duke."
4
First, let me introduce you to my comrade, Mandra. then #1
8
Leander, you have the adoration of the crowds and rich rewards from your patrons. What could I possibly have to offer? But you sent 50 men to support the duke against the king and this is treason...
5
Jan 8 15
"Oh! I forgot to mention. Mandra drank a memory," Timmins shivers, (DM rolls 1d6: 3!) "of Leander as a hungry beggar child singing for coppers. Make of that what you will." You find your way to Leander's room backstage. "Ah, the mysterious Lady Mearls!" Leander flashes a gorgeous grin. "I heard you put on quite a performance this morning. The Duel, a Comedy in One Act. Am I your next conquest?"
Oh my dear Sir, you do flatter me too much... peace is of the nature of a conquest; for then both parties nobly are subdued, and neither party the loser.
12
"I do not seek conquest, only the betterment of my hosts here. I am outrunning a prophecy and believe that you have a part to play in bringing destruction to all around us. Pray tell, what is the nature of your allegience to the Duke?"
7
"Yes. Please disrobe."
4
"Rather I'm yours, dear Leander." (charm)
11
Jan 5 15
You shop, rest, and transcribe your spells. It's afternoon when you find Timmons. "Ready to tackle Leander?" he says. "I sent him word that an exotic baroness is dying to meet him. How are you planning to play it? If you're going to play the lovestruck admirer, you'd better see the play. If you want to get him alone, you should see him now before his other fans arrive."
"I'll see him after the play, even if I have to follow him home."
3
Let's give Mandra the chance to meet him, let's see him now.
11
"Let's play it as an exotic baronness from beyond the north mountains who's heard of his reputation, but never seen the play. Then we can finagle another meeting for afterwards..."
7
Jan 2 15
As you speak the name, you feel yourself ascending like sand through an hourglass. You're back standing before Helena. The last few hours were undone, but you retain your new understanding of basic cavalry tactics. Timmins is saying, "You could rest, or you could brush up on your officer training. Have you led mounted troops before?"
"Well, I have some basics, that should suffice. Best I'll rest." Send Timmins to buy some copper bolts and a Crossbow; prepare sleep as level 3 spell and transcribe the new ones.
17
No, I haven't. So I definitely need to brush up on my officer training. (And hopefully I'll roll better this time.)
4
Dec 22 14
After a cavalry officer course, which involves giving complex hand signals while galloping, (Con check: (DM rolls 1d20: 2!)) you're exhausted and the various signals are swimming before your eyes. Timmins appears, looking rested, and says brightly, "Shall we tackle Leander? I sent him word that an exotic baroness is dying to meet him. He's in his dressing room. Mandra says - Mearls, are you quite well?"
*hide a yawn* "Nothing which can't wait. Actually, did I tell you about Mortalus?"
17
Is there a stimulant like coffee or tea available? If so, drink some before seeing Leander. Stay on our feet!
11
No, I should have rested. Perhaps we can delay a few hours before we meet. Always keep them eager you know.
8
Dec 16 14
Helena gives you the scrolls. "Learn these at your leisure--if you allow yourself any. You look as if you hadn't slept. The King rides against the Duke in two days, and I need you rested. I want you to command a dozen spellswords." Timmins adds, "Leander won't be awake till after noon anyway. You could rest, or you could brush up on your officer training. Have you led mounted troops before?"
We've led troops, but not mounted ones. I think I'll rest and trust that the corporal/sergeant/etc will be able to fill me in.
9
Brush up on military training and tactics. Time is limited, we can sleep when we're dead.
15
"Of course," I say.
1
#1. We need to recover our spells before we meet with Leander.
1
Dec 15 14
You and Timmins return to Helena's office and give your report. "Admirable," she says. "Lady Lynette flees in disgrace, leaving her knights without direction. As a bonus, you dispose of two lesser members of the Duke's guard. (+1000 XP: level up!) I promised you a spell scroll: take two. Fireball? Fly? Knock? Wizard Lock? Web? or one of our unique spells like Shocking Sword or Parry Arrows?"
Knock and Fly
5
Fly and Parry Arrows
4
Fly and Shocking Sword
2
Fireball and Shocking Sward
1
We are following an investigator's path, so Knock would be helpful. Also our armor makes us vulnerable to arrows, so Parry Arrows would be useful.
5
Fireball and Fly. We need some heavy blasting magic just in case, and Fly is just too useful plus being an excellent escape spell.
2
Shocking sword! (And let's pick one at a time.)
3
Dec 10 14
"It is dawn: I can find him still asleep and taste his memories," suggests Mandra. Timmins says, "Or, here's a less creepy idea, we can wait till he wakes up and talk to him."
"Each of you are wise my friends... we should do both and thus be forewarned when we speak with him. In the mean time let us speak with Helena and let her know of our success this day."
17
Do as Timmins suggests, wait until he wakes.
1
Do as Mandra suggests, and taste his memories. Then we can make a decision about whether to follow Timmins advice.
1
Dec 8 14
"I have tasted many memories of Leander," says Mandra. "His acting in Dance of the Clowns is the most still and beautiful thing I have seen in any memory. I have not met him but I know where he sleeps backstage: I drank a memory from one of his lovers. Mearls, you must not hurt him."
If we can discover why he supports the Duke, perhaps we can persuade him to change sides?
6
9
"As you are my faithful servant, I grant you this boon. And by my rightful full name, Michelina Jasmine Hyacinth Mearls, I swear it. I will not hurt Leander. But we must discover why Leander supports our evil enemies. Are you ready to drink his memories again?"
5
Dec 5 14
As you conceal Sir Alec for later disposal, you pocket 20 GP and a cameo ring worth 100 GP. Timmins draws your attention to a gaunt cloaked figure. It follows you into the woods. It drops its hood to reveal the proboscoid face of a tick. It's Mandra, your grotesque ally of days gone by! "I have waited long for you in Arthana," she says, "feasting on blood and memories. I offer you my service."
Introduce Timmins to her and ask her, if she knows anything about Leander.
11
Cast "Protection From Evil" on Mandra, just to be safe. You don't know this but you can probably get it in the spellsword barracks.
10
#1 above, but decide that there are many ways to honorably dispose of a corpse once all are done with it... we did just loot for coin, so what other uses Sir Alec may prove useful?
2
Dec 1 14
"We'll disappear for a good long while," murmurs Percy. "And I'll make money along the way. I won't forget this opportunity, friend." As Percy hustles her off, Lady Lynette calls, "Do your best to excuse me to the Duke!" The crowd disperses. Your aide, Timmins, appears and says, "Milady, I just heard a cloaked person asking after you. Won't show his face. Sinister voice. He's on his way here now."
Does the draught from the horn still work? "Well, time to prepare for the theatre, isn't it?!
3
Let's find a place with some more privacy. After we see his intentions I think we'll need some rest before a night at the theatre...
6
#2, but let's honorably dispose of Sir Alec's body... and do a quick search of his body and his rooms.
10
Nov 24 14
Alec's Dex: (DM rolls 1d20: 1!) Sir Alec tumbles clumsily and lies helpless. "Cowards get no quarter," says Lynette grimly, and butchers him. The spectators gasp. Lynette limps to you. "My lie about a foot injury has come true," she says. "But much as I love the Duke, I think I'd better not be in town when he returns. Can you help me to a horse?" Hearing the word, the Hon. Percy sidles up and clears his throat.
Collect the horn back and raise an Eyebrow towards Percy. "You have a suggestion?"
8
Assist her and add "Mr. Percy you are a man of honor, can you get Lady Lynette out of town on one of her Waketon chargers? (Wink) Get her South to the coast and safety".
18
Step back and say: Perhaps it is time for us to reconsider our relationship.
1
Nov 19 14
Smirking, you hand Sir Alec the real horn. He takes a swallow and throws it back at you. "Thief! Murderer!" he shouts. Lady Lynette interrupts, "Come, sir, I am waiting. On guard." Sir Alec raises his sword shakily, and then turns and runs. Lynette lopes after him and (DM rolls 1d20+6: 12!) (DM rolls 1d8+4: 6!) wounds him in the side. Alec turns and (DM rolls 1d20: 20!) (DM rolls 2d8: 9!) gets a lucky gash on Lynette's leg. He tries to run past you.
"Fight as a man or fall as a coward Sir Alec, the crowd awaits your answer!" (I think the previous comment was to hand back the false horn, no bonuses for Sir Alec?)
10
Stick out my foot and trip him. "For shame Sir Alec! Fight now or be known to all assembled here as a coward!"
15
Ignore Sir Alec, for the moment, Lady Lynette is my real target here.
1
Nov 18 14
Lady Lynette draws her sword and says, "With all my heart. Duke Maxen, my liege lord, first and always!" Half the crowd echoes the sentiment. "I'll drink to that," drawls Sir Alec. He uncorks the fake drinking horn, shakes it, and then stares at it in horror. "What is this? Whose idea of a joke is this?" He hurls it to the ground.
Wait for the fight to end and then arrest the victor for treason.
5
fill the horn with water: "Is there something wrong with it?" and give it back.
6
Ignore Sir Alec and continue!
3
Snicker at Sir Alec and continue.
1
We can't arrest anyone for treason (#1) for fighting a duel, merely eliminate the Duke's supporters. Lady Lynette and Sir Alec were told directly by the Duke not to fight, so let them kill each other and be done with.
2
Nov 10 14
"Sir Alec won't try anything. I've seen to it that half the city knows about the duel. We'll have an audience," says Lynette. You secretly drink the contents of the horn. You feel invincible! You reach the appointed place. Sir Alec is there, (DM rolls 1d20: 1!) looking confident. A dozen nobles lounge around the clearing. The Hon. Percy winks at you. "The principals are assembled! Shall we begin the duel?"
"Yes, there's no time like the present."
6
(I must out the traitors as part of this) "M'lady - shout your allegience to the Duke to all assembled and then let us begin!"
17
Nov 6 14
Dex check: (DM rolls 1d20: 4!) You swap the drinking horns. As you're climbing out of the inn, the drainpipe breaks with a screech of metal. You take a minor tumble. As you escape into the darkness, someone opens their shutters and yells "Who goes there?" It's almost dawn. You race to Lady Lynette's house. She frowns as she sees you. "Mearls! Why did I choose you as my second? Oh well. Any final preparations?"
(Is detect thoughts still active?) No.
5
"My Lady, your father the Squire of Cowford would be proud of your defence of the family name. But we should not trust Sir Alec or Mr. Percy, perhaps a few men in case of an ambush." In secret, sip from the horn.
14
If I were a sneaky noble I'd pass around the rumor that all my power comes from my drinking horn (which secretly just poisons anyone who drinks from it) ... just sayin'.
1
Nov 4 14
(DM rolls 1d20: 14!) Sir Alec's room seems to have all the accoutrements of a not highly-literate man about town. His drinking horn is on a chair along with his sword and dagger. (DM rolls 1d20: 14!) The fake horn is alike in shape and color, though it doesn't have the embossed laurel leaves and shields. The real horn sounds like it has an ounce or so of liquid in it.
Hmm... let's glue some Laurel on the fake, fill it with liquid light and do the exchange. And how difficult is it do render the sword unusable?
2
Is there anything in the room we can use to fake the laurel and shields?
3
Replace the original and leave the sword alone. If we tamper with his sword he'll know it was because of the duel as opposed to a common theft.
8
Regarding the laurel: doesn't the tavern have a kitchen?
1
Oct 30 14
You find a backdoor into the kitchen and a drainpipe to the second floor. Sir Alec reels off to bed at 4. At 4:30, you (DM rolls 1d20: 7!) shimmy up the drainpipe and peek in a few doors. You half-awaken one of Sir Alec's gambling companions, mutter "wrong room," and shut the door. In the next room you find a snoring Sir Alec, alone in bed with a wine jug. You cast Sleep. His snoring deepens.
Search the room for the horn - if found cast shocking grasp into the fake and put it in the same spot.
3
Carefully search the room and see if we can find anything in addition to the horn (documents, etc). If Sir Alec has the horn on him, compare it to the fake before we try the switch.
14
Oct 27 14
(DM rolls 1d20: 11!) The horn costs you 50 GP. It looks nice, but you have no idea how close it is to the original. You peek into the Blue Iris's main room at 2 in the morning. Despite his dawn appointment, Sir Alec is still in there, throwing dice with the Hon. Percy and two nobly-dressed women. Timmins whispers, "Wait for him to go to sleep, or go in now?"
"We have a few more hours before dawn. Let's scout around for an entrance and exit point and when they retire I'll deepen their sleep with a spell."
18
Oct 24 14
"It's a normal tavern. Bar on the first floor. It's usually riotous with well-born guardsmen until about three in the morning. Private rooms on the second floor. I'm sorry I can't draw you a map; I've never studied it with an eye to burglary. I'll leave that to you. See you at dawn." He salutes you and heads towards the nearest path.
Hm... First, collect the forgery. Then to the Blue Iris. Perhaps we can use the liquid light as a distraction?
7
#1 and let's bring an ally for backup, Timmins might do nicely.
13
Oct 21 14
Percy laughs. "Oh, I don't have the drinking horn. It's been on Sir Alec's belt since he won it from Baron Tomor in a card game. You'll have a job to get it off Sir Alec without him noticing. I'm perfectly willing to provide a distraction right before the duel, or you can try to rob him while he sleeps at the Blue Iris tavern. Either way, I get my horse."
I can't say I care much for Mr. Percy. "Well we all know how horses do tend to wander... After the duel is done to our satisfaction, be in the woods behind the stables at midnight". We'll plan the unpleasant accident later.
3
#1 and "tell me more about the Blue Iris."
13
Stab him in the throat, lean in close and whisper, "There's your drinking horn, you bastard."
1
Oct 15 14
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 19!) "We all want fairness," says the Hon. Percy. "In the name of blind justice, perhaps I can find a means to convince Sir Alec to look away at the proper moment. By the way, I know Lady Lynette has a fine stable. I'm a bit of a horseflesh enthusiast myself..." Thoughts: "If I can get one of Lynette's Waketon chargers out of this deal, I could pay off my debts. Two, and I'll be rich again."
Mental note: Prepare to let Percy be caught as a horsethief after the fight. "Since Lady Lynette is so eager about that horn - may I have a closer look? I'm curious what is so special about it..."
19
Oct 10 14
Knowledge: Drinking Horn check: (DM rolls 1d20: 12!) You describe your glimpse of the horn to a jeweler, who begins work on a rough copy. Later you meet the Hon. Percy in a glade in the park. "Your note says I'd find a conversation with you interesting," he says. You scan his mind with Detect Thoughts: (DM rolls 1d20: 4!) "I hope this is a bribe. It must be a bribe. Unless it's an ambush. Gads, I hope it isn't an ambush."
Mental note: Percy is broke. "You know, Lady Lynette wants this fight as fair as possible, and she needs to see you putting down that interesting horn of yours - or both of you taking a sip..." *wink*
6
"You should know that you are surrounded by stealthy allies of mine. This is not a threat but you should be aware of this fact while we discuss matters of mutual benefit. What is your opinion of the Duke's campaign?"
6
Oct 7 14
"Very well, the park at dawn!" (DM rolls 1d20: 16!) As Sir Alec turns, his cloak swirls and you catch a glimpse of what could be a drinking horn at his belt: it might have gold or copper bands but you don't have time to make out any other details.
"Lady, Sir Alec is likely to bring some mountebanks as support. Can you have men hide nearby in case of treachery?" Then go get help from Helena in substituting a fake horn for Sir Alec's tonight.
7
I must discover where the Hon. Percy holds his allegiance. I will send a note asking for a private meeting and use detect thoughts to suss out his true feelings. This can happen while the fake horn is being produced in secret.
14
Oct 1 14
Sir Alec says, "Milady Mearls: my second, the Honorable Percy Hilgrain." The Hon. Percy smirks and kisses your hand: "And what exactly is Milady lady of? Some borderland keep, perhaps?" Alec smiles and wags a finger: "Now now, be polite to each other. As our seconds, you must pick a private place for the duel. I'm sure Lady Mearls knows many fine hidey holes for disreputable deeds."
Oh, indeed, but we trust your taste in such matters.
2
The onyl disreputable deed will be those which you bring upon yourself. Lady Lynette you are the injured party here, some quiet corner of your estate? (Don't let them pick the location).
6
"The central park! Lady Lynette's vengeance will be public!" or, more precisely, her total defeat will have the greatest impact.
11
Remember that Sir Alec is also an ally of the Duke as well, best if we can do away with the lot of them!
2
In the park in front of the Duke's place in town. Make this a personal statement: one of your hands is being severed today.
4
Sep 29 14
You follow Lynette to the Blue Iris tavern. She mutters, "There's Sir Alec, preening in front of his friends. Don't see Baron Tomor." She draws her sword. "Sir Alec! You spoke ill of my family! Prove your words with steel!" A startled guardsman arises, putting a hand to his sword and another inside his cloak. A quiet negotiation follows: the duel is tomorrow at dawn, with you as Lynette's second.
Time to find a duplicate of the drinking horn and replace the original. Disguise self and some charm will be just what we need here.
10
True, but first let's find out, what the guard hides under his cloak.
4
Sep 26 14
"True, Sir Alec isn't half the fencer I am. But then, no Guardsman is, except Baron Tomor of Crowther Grange, and that's just because of his magic drinking horn. Claims to be our best fighter, but he's feeble as a kitten until he sneaks away and has a nip from his flask. Alec and Tomor gamble together at the Blue Iris. Perhaps they've entered some blue-blooded aristocratic alliance against me."
How does this horn look and how hard is it to get a simile? That could be a lever to turn the Lady...
1
"Well then, let's make the mistake his! Respond to the challenge, I will take steps to delay the Baron so that you are victorious. You will restore your honor and by removing an enemy of the Duke will stay in his favor." Of course I won't, I will work with the two to have her killed.
2
#1 and #2. It may actually be a chance to eliminate some enemies and make away with the magic horn.
14
Sep 24 14
Lady Lynette leaps out of bed and begins flourishing a longsword. "My father trained me. Squire of Cowford, best swordsman in the county. He wasn't a noble like Sir Alec's parents, but Duke Maxen recognized my family's quality when he made me a baron. Behind my back, Sir Alec said my parents were dung-eating peasants! I'd like to carve out his tongue and make him eat it."
A cad like that can't have many friends. Who is Sir Alec allied with in court?
6
"Why would he say such a thing when you are known to be so very deadly? Perhaps he has allies at his back and was looking to goad you into a mistake." (My purpose is to subvert the Lady's influence or remove her from the picture, perhaps she can tell me what can help that.)
9
Everyone's family has a humble past, if you go back far enough. It's great deeds that people remember! You need to give everyone something else to talk about. Do you have any ideas? I fancy myself a scholar of history.
2
Sep 22 14
Lynette counts on her fingers. "I've beaten four, no, five Redrill Guards. I'm the best duelist in the city. After Lord Hesperus, his Grace forbid me from drawing a sword on a fellow Guard. Says it's bad for morale. And, let's see, I must've fought a dozen Spellswords. Killed one of them. Oops." She grins. "His Grace never complained about that."
Why is that? What have the Dukes dealings with the Spellswords been?
2
"You must have had a remarakble swordsman as a tutor. I can't even hold a knife without cutting myself." Dramatic pause. "Just out of curiosity: How did Sir Alec insult your lineage? Perhaps there are ways to make him apologize..."
17
Sep 19 14
Saving throw: (DM rolls 1d20: 4!) Lady Lynette blinks. "Want to see something funny?" She throws back her sheets. "See, my leg is fine. I just can't leave the house for fear of running into Sir Alec. He insulted my lineage. Honor demands that if I see him, I challenge him. But the Duke personally forbade me from dueling with another Redrill Guard." She shakes her head. "I don't see a way out."
"Oh, another Guard? Whom did you duel already?"
9
Your honor and lineage very important. I am sure that the Duke will forget this little transgression when he understands the nature of the insult!
3
Sounds like the correct answer is for you to convince someone to insult his lineage for you, then ensure your foil wins the duel. If Sir Alec is publicly shamed, his opinions won't be taken seriously.
1
Sep 15 14
You are escorted into Lady Lynette's room. A dozen swords hang on the walls. She's lying in bed. (DM rolls 1d20: 17!) She's hiding muddy boots beneath the blankets. "Well, what's going on in Dennod?" she asks you. "If it's about taxes or judgments, I can't ride down for the monthy assizes until my blasted leg heals up."
My lady, we have just come from the North. The king of the elves is attacking Dennod and the surrounds. The Duke and his troops have left for the North and we fear he will be ambushed!
3
Cast _charm person_ on Lady Lynette. (We've got the Gift of the Inevitable and we've never used it. I want to take a chance!)
12
Charm Lady Lynette and proceed to ask her, "I'm terribly sorry to hear about your leg. What seems to be the problem? Perhaps I could be of some assistance," while uncovering the muddy boots. Perhaps if we knew what she was trying to hide, we'd have a better chance of getting her to help us
4
Sep 10 14
Timmins takes you to Lady Lynette's estate outside the city walls: courtyard, fountain, flattering statue of Duke Maxen, two ducal guardsmen loitering outside. A butler says, "Milady is unwell and sees few visitors. Who may I say is calling?" (And are you wearing your Spellswords badge?)
Obi-Wan him: I am Lady Mearls, and I am here on behalf of the King. (Timmins surely wears his badge, but mine is a little bit hidden)
3
I am Lady Mearls, and I bear important news from the town of Dennod in the Lady's estates-for her ears only. (Our Spellswords badge is hidden).
16
Sep 8 14
(DM rolls 1d20+2: 6!) "I have not read of an ice queen, but I will gladly fight beside these elves who oppose tyranny. We ride in three days," says the King. Helena urges him to keep the mission secret until then. He agrees and dismisses you both. "That gives us a deadline," murmurs Helena to you. "I will try to turn Lord du Gast. You deal with either Lady Lynette or Leander. I'm assigning you ten spellswords."
"Since me and Leander are unknowns in this game, that seems like a good match. I just hope my sword skills significantly improve by that date." Give Helena one vial of liquid light, just in case...
1
Lady Lynette will be an easy target, using Detect Thoughts and diplomacy-charm skills.
11
Sep 3 14
(DM rolls 2d6: 8!)"In this vision, I die protecting the rightful Queen of Redrill?" The King brightens. "This is a path worthy of the paladin kings of old. I will march out with my army and defend Redrill Castle against my brother." Helena protests, "But in this path, you and the princess both die!" "We will change the vision," says the King, sitting straight for the first time. Helena looks at you helplessly.
My lord if this be your wish it will take time to prepare the army. Let Helena and I do what we can here to safe guard your position and then ease the way for the you and the army to Redrill.
4
Inform the king about the ice queen saga and our ally in the forest and ask his advice for how this fits into the plans for war.
16
Sep 2 14
At the theater, the actors are still asleep. You bribe the manager to let you backstage before the evening performance, and return to the palace. You and Helena meet with the King and show him the Duke's papers. (DM rolls 1d20+8: 18!) "This is unforgivable treachery," says the King sadly. "What shall I do? Start a bloody civil war? Tamely abdicate? Assassinate my kin? Every path leaves me with stained honor."
"May we speak privately?" Fill him in about the vision and Princess Esmarine.
13
My king, you shall not go quietly into that good night, but call for your sister, as we may need her strength. While the Duke is away besieging Redrill, we will dissemble his base of power and funds.
5
Kill king, usurp throne
2
Aug 19 14
Timmins takes you to Helena's secretary, who shares his notes. "Lord du Gast, Master of Horse, has grown rich by dangling the cavalry's loyalty before king and duke in turn. A King's man today, or so I thought. Lady Lynette was a back-country squire until granted title by the Duke, a loyal member of his entourage, in bed with a medical complaint. About Leander's politics we know exactly nothing."
"Do we have time to investigate in the Argent?"
9
Lady Lynette in bed with a medical complaint? Sounds rather dubious, perhaps a visit in disguise as a peasant seeking aid for Henslow is in order?
7
Go to the Dance of the Clowns, maybe with Timmins, observe Paladinus and the actor Leander, before and after the show.
3
Equipment?
1
Aug 18 14
(DM rolls 2d6: 10!) You and Timmins fence. "Oh, Leander is a very fine actor over at the Argent! He's playing Paladinus in Dance of the Clowns. Half the noblewomen are in love with him. I didn't know he was political." He lowers his sword. "You're as bad a fencer as most wizards when they join the Spellswords--myself included. You'll need a few months of training. Master Gallius will train you in the evenings."
"Can you take me to the archives? I'd like to review the dossiers for Leander, Lord du Gast, and Lady Lynette."
11
Let's hope we don't have do make a fool of ourselves in front of the King... "Timmins, how about a short stroll to the Argent, before we have to appear at court?"
9
Aug 15 14
You have dinner at the barracks and then retire to your private room. You transcribe and memorize Detect Thoughts. You also study your bundle of notes on Shocking Grasp. (DM rolls 1d20+4: 23!) You now know how to charge a copper object with a Shocking Grasp spell - it will fire when touched. (100 XP) Timmins meets you the next morning. "We meet the king at noon," he says. "Is there anything you wish to do first?"
Can anyone tell me anything about Leander? Perhaps while taking an hour of basic sword training?
10
"Timmins, where can I look over the Royal Spellswords' files? I've encountered Lady Lynette's village and spoken with Lord du Gast's son, but I have no knowledge of Leander; I really need to learn more about all three."
9
Take a piss, cast Detect Thoughts, and emerge to question Timmins about stuff while we check to see if he's a secret traitor.
1
Aug 11 14
Helena smiles. "As your superior officer, I won't sell to you, but I will reward success. Separate the Duke from an ally. Hmm... Lady Lynette, Lord du Gast, and Leander the Actor each contribute 50 or more men to the Duke." Helena summons a guardsman. "Timmins! You are now Major Mearls's aide. Show her to her barracks or wherever else she wants to go." Timmins bows politely: "Sir, where to first?"
"To the barracks - first some basic swordtraining, then I need to rest." How does Timmins look?
3
To the barracks - rest and spell transcription first!
14
"Timmins, where can I look over the Royal Spellswords' files? We've encountered Lady Lynette's village and spoken with Lord du Gast's son, but we have no knowledge of Leander."
3
Aug 8 14
"Understood." Helena swears you in as Redrill intelligence liaison and acting major in the Royal Spellswords. "This badge grants you authority and entitles you to a room in our barracks, and we'll give you training in this sword if you want it. Wear the sword and badge at noon tomorrow when we meet the King. Until then, your time is your own." She also hands you a Detect Thoughts scroll.
let's ask Helena if she's willing to sell the scroll of Knock, then get everything transcribed into our spellbook.
15
Head to the barracks for safety, sleep and a chance to study.
8
Aug 5 14
You return the evidence to Helena. (Have 1000 XP!) "Astonishing! We'll take this to the King tomorrow," she says. "As a token of thanks, please accept a spell of your choosing from my library: Knock, Wizard Lock, Web, or Detect Thoughts. And I'd like to offer you an officer's commission in the Royal Spellswords, if it doesn't interfere with your oath to Redrill."
Web. We need as many escape contingencies as we can get.
2
Knock, and let's find out if she is interested in the receipe for liquid light in exchange for Lock.
2
Detect Thoughts - investigation > combat here. Lockpicks and iron spikes are cheap. Invisibility's aces for escaping. "Can I sign up for a short-term commission? Lady Redrill shares the King's opposition to the Duke, but once the rebel is thrown down...."
15
#2, plus commission if the pay is good and a certain freedom of action is allowed.
5
Detect thoughts - see about the exchange of spells - and get more information about what the commission entails.
1
Detect Thoughts. We also need a safe place to rest and recover our spells while we are in Arthana.
1
Jul 31 14
(DM rolls 1d20: 18!) Merchants in the Sea Cities deposited 100,000 in various accounts. Duke Maxen withdrew 20,000, and various of his vassals withdrew the rest. Very discreet. All the information you've learned will help Helena gather evidence. If you steal the Duke's papers, it will prove her charges, at the cost of alerting the Duke.
Perhaps we could return later with forged papers, and swap them for the Duke's originals? Would we say these papers are being used daily, weekly, or are they long term storage? Daily.
6
Copy down the accounting in a blank page of our spellbook.
1
The Duke is away trying to destory Redrill castle, and his plan goes into effect in three months (the golems). If he returns early (because a green dragon ate his baggage train) he'll be alerted. Make notes and leave the rest undisturbed.
3
Fortune favors the bold! Take the papers, prove the charges, and force the Duke's hand before his pieces are in place for his grand gambit.
8
Time to talk to the Duke and betray Helena.
1
Jul 23 14
(DM rolls 1d20: 5!) On the desk is a recent letter: "I agree to your terms. I and my golems fight for you starting Nov 1 for the horn of blasting, 10,000 GP quarterly, and first pick of spoils. HARTWIN." (That's in 3 months.) There's also a polite rejection of alliance from the bishop of Canticle and some Bank of Tiamat receipts. The bookshelf contains military texts. The chests appear to be locked.
This bishop seems like a possible ally. What do teh receipts say? Is our little Napoleon whealthy or poor?
19
leave everything as is, uncover the bird and apologize, and leave. This is enough to get some allies.
9
See which chest is heavier, then unlock that one with the dagger. Maybe we can steal some of the items the Duke needs to seal his alliances. The dagger is out of juice.
2
Lick chest
1
Jul 21 14
Luck roll: (DM rolls 1d20: 15!) There's a war banner above the desk. You snip a string and it flutters down over the cage. Bird Int check: (DM rolls 1d20: 6!) The bird's squawks of "Hey! Maid! Come back and clear this away!" are nearly inaudible. The papers, bookshelf, desk, and wooden chests are at your disposal.
First a quick scan through the papers and over the desk - anything unusual?
3
1 plus bookself. Search any desk drawers , and examine the chests without opening them yet.
12
Jul 18 14
You step out, cast Invisibility, and step back in. The bird (which seems to be made of glass) ignores you. Without moving any papers around, you can see that the top sheet is a scrawled troop list. It adds up to 400 infantry and 200 cavalry in various places in Arthana; 80 elves; 200 infantry and 7 ships from the Sea Cities; and, in different ink, "Hartwin and 5 golems."
Cast magic missile on the bird. It's made of glass, so it can't be too tough.
1
Is there a way to let something like a tapestry fall on the cage to cover it?
12
Make notes of all of the troop numbers and locations and keep searching without disturbing anything.
8
Jul 15 14
You put your cleaning supplies in front of her curtain (it's the best you can do), unlock the door with your dagger, and peek inside. It's a messy study. There's a desk strewn with papers, a lamp, and a dusty transparent bird in a gold cage. There are bookcases and two iron-banded chests. The bird turns to you and squawks, "No visitors allowed."
A talking bird? What manner of sorcery is this? Slay the beast and loot the fiend's lair.
2
Transparent? It must be a guard or ward. Cast invisibility on ourselves and see if the bird ignores us while we search.
10
Take a brush and start to undust the bird: "No wonder, any visitor would turn around in horror from this mess!"
11
(can't we close this question?) Right.
1
Jul 10 14
The letters are from "Ethelinde" to "Starmoor," two mythical lovers often used as pen names by lovers, and speak of stolen embraces on "our island". (DM rolls 1d6: 6!) The woman stops playing the recorder and goes into her room. You enter the main room and peer through the keyholes of the locked doors. It's dark beyond the mud-track door. Beyond the other door, you see flickering torchlight.
If we cannot be seen by the woman, use the dagger on the door with the flickering torchlight. Make sure that when the door closes that it doesn't lock us in.
3
Use the dagger to open the mud-tracked room, as there shouldn't be anybody on the other side to see us.
3
Prop our broom (or something else tall) in front of her door so it will fall over and make noise if she comes out, then #2.
5
#3 There is no door to her room, just a curtain.
3
Jul 9 14
You notice that the portal is in a frame, like a mirror or painting. It seems to be removable. You close the trapdoor, wedge it, and move the bed back on top. (DM rolls 1d20: 17!) You rifle the room and find nothing else of note. Still unexplored: two locked doors (one with tracks), lady's locked jewelry box, perfumed letters, portal.
Let's have a look, iv the jewelry box only contains jewelry - and let's take those letters for later...
1
Flip through the letters, noting names.
4
#2 and then head back to the main room (before we arouse suspicion) and continue with our "cleaning", trying to find a way to get into the locked rooms.
12
Jul 2 14
Your mop extends into the sky and tries to fall up at you. You look closer at the hole. It looks like a portal to an upside-down clearing ringed with cypress trees. A gull flies underhead.
Sniff the air... do we smell sea? (Is it a sea gull) Are we near the seashore in our original location?
6
If we are by the sea the doorway might be a link to the Sea Cities of Lady Angelia, and may be a way of bringing in foreign troops or treasure into the castle. Wedge it shut for now and continue with our search.
11
Toss the right leg through the hole; we'll make the Frost Queen's hand draw us a map of where it is later.
2
Note from anon: There is a map at almost the very bottom of the page (show history). Arthana is not within 30 miles of any coast.
1
Jun 30 14
The woman comes in. (DM rolls 1d20+4: 12!) She watches you cleaning for a moment, shrugs, and goes back and begins playing again. You open the trap door. There's a hollow space in the floor about 2 feet deep. At the bottom is bright blue sky and slowly moving white clouds.
Stare, slack-jawed.
1
Carefully stick my mop through the hole. Could we be looking UP from the ground somewhere else?
7
Carefully determine where in the world the trap door exits. Then finish cleaning and ask the woman if she wishes us to clean the other locked rooms.
4
#2, watch to see if the mophead is affected differently by gravity.
4
Jun 27 14
There's no door, just a curtain. The ledger holds the names of various minor lords and knights, along with their quarterly payments to the Duke. The total looks like a modest income. In order to open the trapdoor, you need to move the bed. (DM rolls 1d20: 3!) It squeaks across the floor. The music in the other room stops and you hear approaching footsteps.
Quickly mop around the trapdoor and mutter about mud everywhere.
12
Use our Enchantress ability: "no, I was just singing a song about a squeaking mouse under my breath!"
2
Unblock the door and hide behind it. Capture the girl with and hand over her mouth and tell her not to scream and she will not be hurt.
1
Jun 25 14
The door ahead is locked too. (DM rolls 1d20: 4!) The far bedroom is a lady's chamber, with drawers of fine clothing, a small locked jewelry box, instruments, and books of romantic ballads. The next bedroom contains men's clothing ranging from plain to luxurious, loose jewelry, a ledger of accounts, and a satchel of perfumed letters. (DM rolls 1d20: 20!) Cleaning under the bed, you find a trapdoor held down by the bedframe.
block the door and examine the bed and the trapdoor
3
Pocket the ledger and letters for later examination and carefully examine the trapdoor. Has it been recently opened?
6
Glance at the names on the letters and ledger.
3
Block the door, peruse the names and details of ledger, then open the trapdoor.
7
Jun 23 14
The door's locked. (DM rolls 1d20: 4!) The woman begins playing her recorder. She's looking at her music but you're in her field of vision.
"Excuse me, Milady, do you have a key to this door?"
4
Stall for time by cleaning/searching the other rooms: first the door ahead, then the bedrooms, keeping an eye and an ear on the woman so we can sneak to the muddy door and unlock it.
8
Jun 18 14
(DM rolls 1d20: 5!) An hour later, disguised as a chambermaid, you carry a brush and bucket past six lounging soldiers and into the Duke's suite. A woman sits on a couch, holding a recorder and frowning at a book of music. There's a table with eight chairs and a fireplace. Muddy footprints lead to a door on the right. Hangings shroud two doorways to bedrooms on the left. There's a door ahead.
start cleaning the muddy footprints and work into the door, closing it behind me and then doing a quick search of the room. Put the bucket in front of the door to distract anyone entering by spilling it.
12
#1 but ask permission from the woman and see if we can determine who she is.
5
Jun 17 14
Helena casts a spell on her dagger and gives it to you. "The touch of this blade will open a single lock. The Duke's suite has two guards at its locked rear door. Some of my spellswords can quarrel with them and give you a chance to sneak in. Another option: we go in the unlocked front door. Lots of guards, so it's more of a declaration of war. Or if you have another idea, let's hear it."
How supersticious are those guards? Perhaps some liquid light can distract them enough...
1
Can we sneak up and ambush the two guards quietly. Once tied up we would have access until a patrol comesp
3
Who mops the floors or collects night soil there? We just need to detain them while I assume their likeness with _Disguise Self_, take their keys, and I can enter. I'll save _Invisibility_ and the unlocking dagger for if I need to escape.
10
"There is no need to let the Duke know that we suspect him. I'll sneak in using your dagger and then I'll wait for a second distraction in a short time to sneak out again."
3
Jun 13 14
"Lady Angelia of Temera is ambassador from the Sea Cities, but she spends all her time with the Duke. And her twenty chests of luggage are kept locked. We could try to search her suite - or the Duke's, for that matter, while he's away. Also, several of the Duke's Redrill Guards have taken money from the Bank of Tiamat - loans? withdrawals? payments?"
Since the Duke's suite is probably less guarded, let's see if we can find something written. And twenty chests uf luggage seem a little bit too much, they are next on the list.
8
Disguise self would be a good option here unless we have a legitimate reason to be in the Duke's rooms and even if we did word would potentially get back to the Duke unless there was no suspicion.
7
Jun 11 14
"Since the Duke was kind enough to build me a gallows, I'll return the favor," says Prismaticus. "I'll find Mandra and have her warn the princess." Helena says, "Where do we begin? The Duke has mysterious access to funds; friends among the barons; shadowy allies abroad. The King has my Royal Spellswords - outnumbered and watched by the Duke's guards; a hero sister far away; and you."
who are his friends? what is known of the shadowy allies?
3
"Let's investigate where his money is coming from. I surmise that it comes with strings attached- we should follow those."
11
We should investigate the barons first; who gains from deposing the king and/or enthroning the duke, and who doesn't (potential allies).
1
Jun 6 14
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 16!) A grateful Prismaticus gives testimony. Helena says, "My spies confirm your story of the Duke's treachery. I hereby commute your death sentence to a year of service. Infiltrating the Duke's retinue as a carpenter is a fine start." To you, she says, "With the Duke away, you and I might strike quickly against his followers, despite the King's hesitancy. Unless you must go defend Redrill?"
What sort of quick strike did you have in mind? I've got fast horses; I can beat the Duke to Redrill even if he has a day's head start. [Is this a reasonable assumption?] Yes.
3
Tell Prismaticus about his Green Munificence and have him tell the caravan that he knows of a "short cut" through the woods... We shall stay here and destroy the Duke's support base, but first get a warning message to the Princess.
1
Number two, and if all is finished, we can teleport with the necklace.
7
Number two, but also specifically: tell P-man about the prohibition against cutting wood but he should not tell the caravan. P-man should try to get as many men to cut wood (fires, materials) as possible without doing it himself.
6
Jun 3 14
"We can't be ready for at least three hours," one peasant is saying. Another adds, "And we can't reach Dennod in 5 days neither, nor Redrill in 10, beatings or no." The foreman shouts, "Tom! Still short 200 pounds of salt meat. Barnet! If the pavilion is lost, have the tailor whip up a half dozen tents. Boggs! Find that carpenter and get him on a mule, drunk or no. His Grace demands a carpenter."
It looks like the Duke is on the march to Redrill. We can send one of our men on with a fast horse later, but let's save Prismaticus from the gallows first!
1
We have a three-hour deadline to disrupt or sabotage the caravan, so let's go with Helena promptly. (I'm thinking the carpenter is a good weak point; they'll need him if they want to build siege engines at their destination.) We'll send a man on *two* fast horses- he can switch off.
5
Let's go with Helena and see if we can smuggle in Prismaticus as a carpenter.
9
May 28 14
"That's Duke Maxen, brother to King Constant," says Helena. As you skulk out of sight (DM rolls 1d20: 17!), Maxen and his horsemen start filing through the gate. Lord Hesperus shouts at a herd of mules and commoners: "The supply train had better follow us within the hour or you'll all get beatings!" Helena taps her foot. "Lady Mearls, are you coming? This mountebank won't interrogate himself."
Dawdle after Helena, but look very carefully at the supply train for hints as to its destination (warm furs? Coracles? Massive piles of food?) and try to gauge the mood of the peasants - or better yet, eavesdrop.
8
1 plus look for a way to delay or cancel the departure of the supply train.
10
May 21 14
"One of the Duke's guard made the accusation," says Helena. The king nods. "Helena, question Prismaticus and delay the execution. Bring Mearls. Dismissed." Helena takes you through a courtyard. A mounted noble--the strong man from your dream--is marshalling a troop of 20 cavalry and yelling about severing treasonous heads. You see Lord Hesperus, who you once stole from, but he doesn't notice you.
Whisper: "Helena, who is that mounted noble? I'm not sure, but his face seems familiar..."
11
#1 and stay out of sight of him and Lord Hesperus.
11
May 19 14
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 19!) "Follow me. Helena!" calls the king. You and a woman with a sword follow the king to a private chamber. "Helena, this 'Lady Mearls' repeats your accusations. Is she one of your spies?" Helena murmurs, "Not one of my spellswords, Majesty. Lady Mearls, can you find proof of Duke Maxen's treachery? It's vital to the interests of the kingdom."
Prismaticus has a note, that I was able to - borrow when the Elves were about to be bought. And who brought him before court, by the way?
9
Cast Sleep.
2
Your Majesty, the Duke means to move soon. The deal was to have been completed by Lord Hesperus who has now disgraced himself to you and failed the Duke. Perhaps he should be our target of Helena and I, and his testimony the evidence we need.
3
May 16 14
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 7!) "A wild tale, corroborated by a convict." The king pinches the bridge of his nose as he reads. "I pray it's a lie, so I need not choose between some long-lost heir and my own brother. But honor demands diligence. Varrell! Send a scout to Redrill!" A flunky scuttles off. "We'll get your swindler's testimony before the execution. The scout'll return in two weeks. If you'll return then...?"
"What of Prismaticus? His testimony is absolutely nessesary. Surely something can be done."
2
I request a stay of execution until you have verified Prismaticus's testimony and duly weighed his contributions to the realm.
4
"Prismaticus has sworn fealty to me; I am honor-bound to him. I appeal to you for mercy."
1
Either #2 or #3 and lean in and very softly say "The Duke of Redrill sought an assassin from the Elves to kill you with money he borrowed from the Bank of Tiamat."
10
3 then 2 and finally whisper 4
3
May 12 14
(DM rolls 1d20: 8!) Success! When the seneschal next comes in, the fop whispers and drops coins into his hand. The seneschal leads the two of you past gold doors. He announces, "The Hon. Frederick du Gast and, uh, a friend!" You're in a rich chamber bristling with guards. At a desk is a tired-looking man in monkish garb, marking his place in a book. He looks like the "weak man" you saw killed in a vision.
Kill him now and subvert destiny!
1
Is he the king? If so, "My liege I am Lady Mearls. I bring important news that may help you in these trying times... (Try to turn up the charm and explain the "reappearence" of Redrill as an ally).
4
#2 and show our letters from the Princess. "There is another in the city who can vouch for the truth of this, but he is due to be executed in but a few hours..."
8
May 5 14
(DM rolls 1d20: 13!) "I have free access to the palace - at least as far as the bedchambers of the court's beauties," says the fop. "Along the way I hear things. For instance: the Duke engages in a diplomacy with Lady Angelia of Temera of which his wife would not approve. I could also tell you news about the King and Queen that the Duke would give much to know, but, like you, I keep my best secrets for trade."
"Could you get me into the palace? I could pay in secrets."
4
Perhaps we might meet at some future point to exchange secrets of benefit to both of us. For the moment I will decline you kind offer whilst I wait for my men and perhaps the audience with the king if it comes...
4
Charm the guy. Speak loudly "Thank you so very much for the invitation dear!". Wait until he is called to enter with him to see the King (what's his name?).
11
Apr 30 14
You dispatch Hugh and ask the foppish courtier for help. (DM rolls 1d6: 5!) "My uncle is the Master of Horse, so I am no stranger to the corridors of power," he boasts. "With his support, you'll see the king in minutes. I can't introduce you in person, since I'll be seeing the king in minutes, but I'll write you an introduction." He inks a pen. "Your name? and what will my uncle gain from helping you?"
Lady Mearls, and I owe him a personal favour.
2
"You promise much for one also waiting... but my name is Lady Mearls and information is my stock and trade and I keep it closely guarded. While we wait pray tell me the news of the city."
14
Nephew of a shoveler of horseshit! Surely an introduction from you would be irresistable to the King's eye. *Draw him in close* Do you believe yourself the caliber of man who can survive the unerring Magic Missile? Perhaps you should leave and make an appointment for another day.
3
"Oh? Why are you here to talk to the king?"
1
Apr 28 14
"Yes, his name may well be Prismaticus or something of the sort. His execution is not till dusk, so we have a few hours of leisure. Do I detect a glimmering of magical talent about you? Perhaps we might go to my house for tea and an exchange of magical secrets." Meanwhile, the chamberlain enters and taps a waiting noble on the shoulder. They glide pass a guard through a gilded door.
Can the execution happen without the king? If not, we have to get to him...
2
"Alas perhaps I may meet you for tea later and we can talk of such things then..." We need to find Mandra. Send Hugh to look for her and Prismaticus' cart while we wait for an audience and gather information from the courtier.
13
Perhaps the rose-perfumed courtier had a better suggestion?
2
Apr 25 14
The old woman's clothes, which you'd taken for mourning, are actually black velvet with skull buttons. She smiles broadly. "Some traveling charlatan who tried to swindle a noble with false cures. I hope to get his head. Heads say interesting things. I learned of a treasonous plot from another beheading victim, and now I'm here waiting to tell the King. And waiting. And waiting."
You must indeed be skilled in the... interesting arts... my Lady? Do you happen to know the charlatan's name? (Let's hope it isn't Prismaticus, we may need him).
13
"Ah, a most excellent way to keep ahead of what's happening! Might I ask how who is to be slain, and how you plan to retrieve their head? Usually those end up on pikes."
8
"Heady stuff, good lady! I do hope this foul plot is headed off before it comes to a head.
1
Go with her to the beheading.
1
Apr 22 14
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 5!) "I am addressed as Milord Chamberlain, not Good Sir, and many nobles have done well to take my counsel. Very well! Wait here till you're summoned." He stalks off. (DM rolls 1d4-1: 2!) A rose-perfumed courtier says, "Milady, if you seek the King, I offer my aid." An old woman adds, "I think none of us will see the King today, dear, no matter how sweet we smell. Take a walk with me and view the beheading."
Oh, a beheading? Who is the poor soul to perish?
3
Ask politely who is to be beheaded.
9
Politely decline both offers. Then wait for a moment to slip away and follow in the chamberlain's footsteps, listening for any indication of whether the messenger's been received yet. Perhaps there will be a chance to interrupt the audience if we're sneaky.
8
Hear what the courtier has to say.
5
Apr 18 14
(DM rolls 1d20+6: 11!) "This way, milady." You are led to a gilded antechamber where gentlefolk wait for an audience. An excessively fancy major domo questions you: "I had thought Crowther Grange still belonged to Baron Tomor, one of my lord Duke's men. Would you like to explain your error to the Duke, or Baron Tomor perhaps? or wait here in hopes that the King might find himself at leisure for such a puzzle?"
"Since the title was rewarded to me by the Princess, only the King can settle this!" Use the first opportunity to teleport with the King to Esmarine...
3
My good sir I shall explain it to the king himself. I am sure he would take it poorly if I discussed it with any ears before his... (Watch for the strong and weak men we saw in the vision, it may be the Baron or the Duke...)
14
"The Duke and his lackey Tomor are faithless usurpers. I will not speak with them, except to denounce them to their faces in the strongest possible terms."
1
Apr 16 14
(DM rolls 1d6: 6!) You rest overnight, ride at dawn, and reach Arthana's golden gates in the afternoon. Travelers tell you that a courier on a foam-flecked steed arrived an hour ago and galloped up the main street towards the palace. When you try to follow her, palace guards stop you politely: "Milady, with whom is your business?"
Begone! I am Lady Mearls, Baroness of Crowther Grange!
2
My business is my own. Anounce that Lady Mearls, Baroness of Crowther Grange seeks an audiance.
14
Redirect their attention to a nearby hapless merchant, and ride on.
3
charm them.
2
Tell them my business with succinct candor and a winning smile. [Beat] Then step past.
2
Apr 15 14
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 15!) You get the horse and ostrich sellers into a price war. You get both Maravians for 600 GP. Once out of town, you and Louis fly past road traffic and draw admiring glances. (DM rolls 1d6: 2!) By nightfall, you're halfway to Arthana. If the courier rides at a sane pace, you'll catch her tomorrow. If she drives her horses to exhaustion or trades for fresh ones, she'll win the race, unless you do the same.
Ride on at a steady pace
10
Leave Louis to follow up on foot so we can swap off between the two horses and make better time.
6
Pat my horse on the neck, "I apologize my friend but we must fly. " drive the horses to exhaustion. Ensure that they are stabled finely on arrival.
4
Apr 11 14
You say your goodbye to your guide, Jascon, and wander into town. Your geas ends. Horse quality: (DM rolls 1d20: 20!) Crit! (DM rolls 1d12: 6!) Two fierce northern traders lead a pair of fine Maravian racing horses (400 GP each); a girl is saddling a fiery-looking war ostrich (600 GP); other steeds are 50-200 GP. You learn that the messenger is a day ahead. She missed the market and traded for an ordinary riding horse.
How much are the Maravinian horses and the ostrich? We've got 795 GP and a 100 GP necklace, and fine steeds are pretty fungible goods. Can we get 'em all for under 650 GP? Now with prices!
3
We have to overtake that messenger. If I think I can ride that warbird, then that's it, otherwise one of the racers. Louis and the oak-folk should rendezvous with me in Arthana.
2
We aren't skilled enough to ride an exotic ostrich (Dex 10). Let us buy regular hourses, regroup with Tulip and be on our way. We will also need our gold for when we reach Arthana.
4
Trade for the two Maravian racing horses fairly, and use Charm to obtain the Ostrich.
4
Try to barter the racers down, otherwise just get one and let Louis and the oak catch up to us later.
4
Apr 9 14
"It would take quite a map to pinpoint two trees in a mile of wood, much less the entire elven forest," smiles the man. "If you wish to find me again, light a fire where you camped tonight. I roam there often. If you have no further need of my guidance...?" (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) Louis says, "Carts on the road. Today must be market day. If we don't take this guy's shortcuts, maybe we can buy better horses."
Get his name before he leaves. Let's get fresh horses and see if we can see any sign of the messenger. We don't want to be here long, or get caught up in local troubles.
11
Apr 7 14
"Race you to Arthana," Tulip grins. She and an oak vanish into the woods. You, Louis, the horses, and the other oak follow the green-robed man through the arch. You feel the geas settle on you: you can't cut living trees. The man leads you out of the forest. In the pre-dawn light, you recognize the town of Dennod. "We may part ways here if you wish," he says, "or I can show you further shortcuts."
State, "I wish I could take you up on your offer, but I have business I need to attend to..., Perhaps another time?" Continue on to Dennod.
5
"Could you draw me a map of those shortcuts? They sound quite valuable to me, but I am pressed for time. If you need to show them to me, how might I find you again?"
13
["cut no living tree till you leave the wood" ... "The man leads you out of the forest. " .... so is the geas lifted?] Good one! You'll have to go farther out of the forest to end it.
3
Apr 4 14
You follow the man into the wood. You come to a huge inverted V where a leaning ash tree is resting on another. Tulip murmurs, "My magic necklace is pulsing. I can't teleport while wearing this thing." The man doesn't hear; he's saying, "Split, ash, let pass those who'll cut no tree. Now step through all! Even your oaks can pass through here, though few other tree gates would accommodate them."
I give the leg to Tulip and let her find a non-teleporting way; if one of our wooden friends wants to accompany her, that's good. Then I enter.
12
Suggest that Tulip remove her necklace then redon it once we pass through.
5
Apr 3 14
The trees shuffle forward. The green-coated man looks startled. "You are better defended than I thought," he says. "As for shortcuts: not far from here, two crossed tree trunks grow into a natural arch. Step through and you'll find yourself under another tree arch, not ten minutes from Dennod. I could show you the place, for a geas: cut no living tree till you leave the wood."
Then lead the way, please, we follow on your heels, Sir!
16
"How do I know that you are speaking the truth?". We don't want to find ourselves half the world away from here...
2
There's no way this could come back and bite us! Sounds like an excellent plan!
3
Attempt sense motive, and make cooresponding choice.
3
Mar 31 14
(DM rolls 1d20: 9!) "I am dangerous, yes," the man admits. "Especially to those who threaten my forest. But I've aided many a traveler to Dennod, in exchange for favors: burn less firewood, perhaps, or spare the next wild animal you hunt. If you seek the safety of Dennod's walls, I will lead you past an ambush ahead. If your destination is further, I know shortcuts that can save you many days of travel."
Let our tree companions make themselves noticed and say "a shortcut is exactly what we need - and perhaps a place to hide something dangerous"
2
#1, but let's not mention the dangerous cargo until we know more about our benefactor.
16
Burn ... LESS wood? Truly your ways are foreign and obscure.
3
Mar 28 14
You beckon the man over. He walks over to you without entering your camp. He's a handsome man with a cheerful face and a red beard. Tossing away his flower, he says, "Few sleep by the elven forest in these troubled days, and fewer under a full moon! Don't you know there's a town not two hours away, where you'd be safe from fairy mischief? Though, tonight, there are dangers enough along the way!"
Pardon kind sir, but are you not alone in the woods as well? Are you one of the dangers we should fear or could you assuage our honest desire to protect ourselves.
15
This town sounds like an excellent place to escape the dangers of the world. Would you be so kind as to lead us to it? We will need flowers to sniff as well.
3
Truer words were never spoken. (draw dagger) Now just drop your coin purse there and be on your way. Pray you don't meet another 'danger' less friendly than me.
5
there is strength in numbers, and we have yet to see a reason to fear this forest. If you feel nervous, come share our fire.
1
Mar 26 14
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 18!) By bedtime, you've transcribed Light, and also learned how to cast Light into a liquid: the spell will activate when it's splashed. You make one test potion. Tulip stands guard when you sleep. (DM rolls 1d6: 6!) (DM rolls 1d20+4: 13!) (DM rolls 1d20: 16!) She shakes you awake. There's a man pacing silently through the woods, 50 feet from your camp. He's wearing a green robe. He's alternately peering at your camp and sniffing a flower.
[How many light potions do we have?] Let Tulip hide nearby and call at the man. Two potions.
8
Invite him into the camp and share your rations. Good hospitality is a powerful tool.
7
Sneak out into the woods and take him by surprise.
1
Mar 24 14
Anna gives farm horses to you, Tulip, and Louis. Hugh rides up smartly on a fine steed. He takes 100 GP for changes of horse and canters west along the river road. You and your trees follow at a walk. (DM rolls 1d6: 3!) Dusk finds you far from Dennod. You could ride on and arrive late, or make camp and have time to study your Light or Shocking Grasp notes.
Make camp and study shocking grasp notes.
6
Make camp and study Light - it's a powerful offensive spell that also has great utility.
13
Push on! Study later.
4
Weak farm horses! Carry them, force-march through the night.
1
Mar 21 14
(DM rolls 1d20: 8!) Anna says, "The messenger'll be in Dennod now, milady. You might just catch her halfway down the forest road if you outspend her on fresh horses, or if you cut across the Fire Plain for a bit. If you ride straight across the Fire Plain the whole way, you'll beat her, if you aren't burned to death." Hugh pipes up: "There's exactly one fine horse in the stable, ma'am, and the rest nags."
Fire Plain? That sounds like a good place to loose the body parts!
6
Our tree allies can't travel on the open plain, but maybe we can skirt the edge. Send Hugh to ride the good horse to pass the messenger and then on to warn Prismaticus in Arthana. The rest of us will make for Denod...
14
Mar 19 14
You return to the village. Your tree companions wait in the woods. Anna, the new leader of the town, greets you. "Hail, hero! Did you smite the goblin menace?" Hugh and Louis join you. "Lady Mearls, that Arthanian soldier rode back through town yesterday. She didn't say what she'd learned up at Redrill, but she'd ridden her horse hard. She traded her horse for a fresh one and rode towards Dennod."
"Well, the goblins are without a shaman for the time being - but they are searching for a new one. If you know some magic user, you could cooperate. And do you have any dangerous dungeons around?"
4
"The goblins will not harass you further, but do not provoke them. They can still defend their home with magic and fire."
1
#2 and add "We must get to Dennod or Arthana before the messenger, do you know of any faster route?" (Perhaps we can find a place for the hand on the way).
10
Mar 17 14
Your two soldiers are in the village, which is a few hours south. The Elf King is a day's march north. Straight to the elf king or stop by the village?
Get soldiers first, the forest may not be safe for a whole day's travel.
5
Why are we trusting the Elf King? What's his stake in Redrill? He bribed the goblins to attack humans, right? Can we make allies with him by trusting the destruction of the body parts to him?
3
Number 1, and perhaps the villagers can give a hint...
12
Mar 14 14
Knowledge check: (DM rolls 1d20: 8!) Tulip says, "Your guess is as good as mine. You could ask the wise people of my elf tribe, or a wizard in one of your cities. Or just throw the hand in a ravine!"
Ravine it is. Lead the way Tulip.
4
Hm... Would the hand fit on a dragon? Maybe on a claw-tip.
4
Let us ask your tribe. Maybe they know of a dungeon we can hide it in.
11
You, start a fire. You, gather water. Tulip, I'm counting on you to find a stewpot. What this hand needs is some good 'taters.
3
A ravine isn't safe. Let's take it to the city and ask one of the high priests where something this dangerous can be hidden
1
Mar 12 14
(DM rolls 1d20: 18!) Two goblins escort you out of the caves into the goblin forest. As they shut the door behind you, Tulip strolls up to you. Behind her, two big oak trees detach themselves from the forest and silently approach. Tulip leans against one of the oaks. "Our reinforcements from the elves. We'd better put back that hand and leg if we want to keep them."
If we want to keep both of them, we need new hiding places. Perhaps something invoking blocks of cast iron?
3
The fairy folk said that the hand should be hidden at the end of the northeast tunnel, beyond the moth men.
4
"The hand isn't safe here anymore with those meddling goblins; do you know another place here, Tulip?"
11
Mar 10 14
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 13!) Panic erupts. Goizabel's guards charge the little goblin, hacking with their weapons. Goizabel looks angry. "Mearls. You want hand, take hand. My hobs not trust it now," he growls softly. "But without magic, we no help you in war. If you find us new shaman, we help you." He presents you the leg and the glowing hand, now covered in goblin blood. "Now go in peace."
Take the parts and go find our elves
5
"Goizabel, I just don't want to discover in a month that your tribe are all thralls to the Witch Queen. Trust me on this." Then bag up the body parts and go find the elves.
12
Get back to the village and our allies, we've been gone too long.
7
Mar 7 14
You pour liquid light onto the hand. You yell. "The hand! It's glowing!" Goblins awake and draw weapons. Goizabel yells, "Mearls, what is this?"
Yell: "The hand! It's glowing! And it changed me!"
11
Wave and say, "It's ok, Gary sent us!"
2
Laugh, and say, "Ha ha ha! I just poured light on it. Scared ya didn't I? C'mon you layabouts, lets go kill some elves!"
2
Yell "The hand just lit up and tried to cast a curse on me!"
8
Mar 4 14
You cast Sleep, rest, and prepare your spells. Your Disguise spell has worn off. (DM rolls 1d6: 3!) You creep past the sleeping goblins to the little goblin with the sewed-on sentient hand. The goblin is asleep on the threshold of the garbage room. The hand is drumming its fingers softly.
Paint the hand with liquid light spell, stand back and screech in horror
12
Continue outside and head back to town.
10
Carry the sleeping goblin away from camp.
10
Feb 28 14
"You sleep in throne room with us. Honorary hob," says Goizabel. While the hobs plan their war, you settle away from the garbage room and study your new spells. (DM rolls 1d20+4: 5!) (DM rolls 1d20+4: 13!) You scribe Shocking Grasp to your spellbook. With more study, you could learn Light and other magical secrets. Everyone goes to bed: Goizabel surrounded by his hobs, and the little severed-hand goblin by the garbage room.
Aid their sleep with the sleep spell. And how do we recharge the Pearl of Recall? Go to bed.
3
Cast sleep, then prepare Charm, Disguise Self, Invisibilty and recharge the Pearl of Recall with Sleep.
15
Let's sleep and await a better opportunity after the hunt.
1
Feb 24 14
Goizabel points at you. "Offer you ally. I rule five hobs and fifty gobs. Send for us when you march to war. Leave me magic hand. It saved my life. It is our shaman now." He points at an uneasy goblin, whose own hand has been severed and replaced with the Snow Queen's hand.
Very well, but give me the leg...
9
"Fine. It has been a long day; I need to rest." Let's try to bury that 'shaman' when everyone is asleep...
11
Attempt to get hold of something material that confirms the goblins' allegiance.
1
Deal
1
Tell the little goblin, "Take it easy, you got lucky. The last guy got the head but we didn't sew it on in time."
1
Feb 20 14
You get the light potion ready. You're led into the chamber. Goizabel lounges on a wooden box, conferring with four other oversized goblins. Small goblins scuttle about; one is torturing a big bound goblin. Goizabel stands up. He wears a mace and a sword. "Mearls! You not drown by elf tricks! Tomorrow we march into elf forest! Will you kill elves with us?"
No!
2
Congratulations King Goizabel. I cannot fight the elves with you, but must return to my own people.
15
Yes!
3
How much are you paying!
5
Gotta get my elf-killin' fix...
1
Feb 19 14
With Goizabel about to try a coup, let's cut back to Mearls. "Follow!" orders the goblin. You follow, with one goblin ahead of you and one behind. Tulip is nowhere to be seen. (DM rolls 1d6: 4!) You are led to a dark cavern entrance. The smell of death is strong within. You hear an agonized scream and a low goblin guffaw. One of your escorts goes forward to announce you; the other holds you at swords point.
[nice cliffhanger] Use one vial whith liquid light spell to enlighten the situation.
1
Ok, we're still disguised, but get ready to use the light potion.
10
Shout "God of All Goblins Save Us!". Since we are down to one guard let's see if we can distract him to look at the noise. If he does, jump him.
2
Feb 18 14
Goizabel bled into the sword (10/12 HP) and slashed (DM rolls 2d8+3: 14!) for 14 damage. The king, swaying on his feet, weakly waved his mace and groaned, "Fire!" (DM rolls 1d20+3: 20!) There was a twang and a cry from the trash room: the sound of a would-be sniper tripping Goizabel's snare. A stray arrow flew from the trash room (DM rolls 1d20-2: 14!). Instead of hitting Goizabel squarely in the back, (DM rolls 1d6: 2!) it nicked his arm. (8/12 HP)
Time to behead the King
1
Finish off the king. Yell at at Uncle Koldo to protect my back and for Argi to get the sniper.
17
Feb 14 14
Goizabel let his clawed hilt scratch open a vein (11/12 HP). His sword flashed red into the Goblin King (DM rolls 2d8+3: 14!) The king staggered back, recovered, and swung his bull-headed mace (DM rolls 1d6+3: 7!) (4/12 HP) It vomited hell-water, which (DM rolls 1d20+2: 20!) Goizabel avoided. In his pack, the severed hand writhed (DM rolls 1d8+1: 8!) and healed Goizabel (11/12 HP). The king's eyes widened as Goizabel's injury closed. Goizabel's turn.
(that means that goizabel hit right?) Yep, both hit!
5
Summon the power of the blade and strike again.
11
Summon the power of the blade again and slowly cut over the Kings throat.
9
Say to the king: My great magic will always heal me, and nothing can withstand my fuming sword. Leave now with your life, and the clothes on your back, and your scum. I will burn your throne and make a new one from the bones of my enemies.
1
Feb 12 14
In Goizabel's pack, the severed hand quivered. The king readied himself to take a hit. Goizabel could strike normally with his sword, or invoke its magic: in exchange for drawing blood from Goizabel's hand (1 HP) the sword would glow hot (1d8 extra damage). Or he could take out the hand and see what it offered. Or should he wait to see what secret magic the hand might summon?
Take out the hand, but hidden to the king.
3
Summon the power of the blade, pause dramatically to give the hand time to do anything it can do from where it is, and strike.
14
summon the power of the blade , ignore the Snow Queen's hand, and strike.
4
Strangle the king to death with one long, laborious attack which he is not allowed to dodge.
6
Feb 10 14
(DM rolls 1d20: 4!) Only Goizabel's Uncle Koldo and blood brother Argi moved to his side. The other six hobs stood by the king. No chance in pitched battle. "I challenge you to succession by battle," said Goizabel. The king smiled and picked up his terrible mace Baphomet. He whispered to a goblin, who scuttled away. "We will each endure three attacks, no dodging," said the king. "You strike me first."
Let's try to break his main hand - with his other hand the blows might be survivable.
5
Whisper "Hand, if you wish for power, protect me now"
9
Walk up, spit on my hand, and slap him in the face.
2
"I demand we settle this with strength alone! No weapons! No Armor! Just our BARE HANDS! ROAR!...Or are you afraid to face me? You hide behind your mace?"
3
Call for the ballista.
1
Feb 4 14
(DM rolls 1d20: 18!) (DM rolls 1d6: 4!) Goizabel followed Ganix. All he learned was that Ganix's whip raised magical blisters when he flicked his goblins' feet. Finally Ganix returned to the throne room, where the king and the other hob nobles were pawing through a pile of goods. "Who claims the treasure and wives of Txomin the shaman, two days missing? Who claims the treasure and wives of Goizabel the hob, two days missing?"
"I do. I also claim the throne!"
11
5
"Stand aside, weak king. A servant of the elves is not fit to distribute wealth and wives, nor claim an Heir!"
4
Jan 31 14
Goizabel waited out of sight along a patrol route, hoping to find Uncle Koldo first. (DM rolls 1d2: 2!) Unfortunately, Ganix was the first to come along, leading his patrol of five goblins. Ganix was a schemer. Hard to say whether he'd join Goizabel or betray him to the king. (DM rolls 1d20: 20!) Goizabel was well hidden. He could easily come forward and parlay, stay out of sight, or ambush a potential enemy.
What do I have to offer in terms of political favors? Do I have any holdings or treasures I could bribe Ganix with? Not now, but as King you could offer silver, goblins, or the title of Heir.
2
What does the King deny Ganix? Power? Wealth? Women? Respect? Ganix wants to be named Heir and then assassinate the king.
3
Stay out of sight and listen for any clues as to where Ganix's loyalty might lay...
11
Let's wait for Koldo.
4
Jan 30 14
At noon, Goizabel (DM rolls 1d20: 11!) snuck into the throne room. If there were a duel, it would be here. The king was snoring on his treasure boxes. Goizabel set a trap in the adjoining garbage room where a sniper might watch a duel. Trapping the throne room itself would be riskier: six of the hob nobles slept near the king. Ganix and Uncle Koldo were absent, on patrol in the caverns. What next?
Sabotage the king's weapon?
7
We need to know if we will be supported in a coup. Feel out a few that I think I can trust.
12
#2, complain about the defeat, the lost silver and the lost ballista.
4
Jan 28 14
(DM rolls 1d6: 2!) On his first outing, Goizabel visited his camp in the forest. (DM rolls 1d6: 2!) He checked on his snares and found a deer. He ate, took meat for later, and took his snare equipment, just in case. He returned to the pond, camped overnight, and made ready to kill the goblin king. But how? Would his friends join him in a coup? could he ambush the king? would the king honor the dueling code? What to do?
He would set up the snare at the dueling place just in case the king doesn't honor the dueling code.
9
There's no honor among thieves-- especially goblin thieves. Gather a few allies and ambush the king.
5
We want to maintain the dueling code, so hopefully whoever challenges us next will also honor it. Gather friends to counter a possible ambush, but play the duel straight.
1
Jan 24 14
"Follow," orders the goblin. You follow. Now let's find out how Goizabel is doing! After he wrote you the notes and left the forest cavern, did he go straight to the goblin throne room, or was there anything he did first?
He clearly went to get food and check on us- did he discover anything else on this first outing?
8
He'd find family and friends who'll support his challenge. Otherwise the king's family will see him dead before he can strike down the king.
4
He went straight to the throne. No messing around.
2
Jan 24 14
(DM rolls 1d6: 6!) You climb the ladder with Tulip behind you. Three goblins are ransacking the once-tidy workroom where you found the arcane supplies. They draw swords when your head emerges from the trap door. One spits out a piece of dried meat and, waving a sword at your face, says something in Goblin, and then, in bad Common, "Mearls yes or no?"
Mearls yes!
17
Say "Mearls" in Orcish
4
"who asks?"
4
Jan 22 14
"We will find you," say Nin and Dair, and march into the woods. You dive into the pool. You swim past the red portal (DM rolls 1d20: 16!) and emerge in the underground cavern. (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) (DM rolls 1d4+1: 3!) Goizabel is gone. Next to a burned-out campfire, notes are scratched on the floor: "GET FOOD, BACK SOON." Then, "YOU KEPT WORD, FIND MY BROTHER. I KEEP WORD, GET HEAD OF GOBLIN KING. IF YOU NOT DROWNED, FIND ME ON THRONE OR DEAD."
Are we still disguised a goblin? I think so!
1
What do we think how long we were away, and how old are the notes? It seems to you like you were gone for only a few minutes, but the campfire's ashes are cold.
4
Go looking for Goizabel, new King of the Goblins (I Hope) .
7
OK, this is bad. If time moves differently in the fairy realm, the messenger may have gotten to Redrill and back. We need to get back to the village ASAP.
1
let's put the body parts back before we do anything else (using the same precautions to bypass the traps) You'd left the body parts with Goizabel. They're gone with him!
4
Jan 17 14
"If you take both pieces with you, I will also give you my warrior Nin, that each may have a guardian. As for avoiding the dangers of the astral sea: look before you leap." You duck your head into the pool. (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) No monsters in sight, but a new portal drifts close by: (DM rolls 1d16: 7!) a dark circle with a red corona. Dimly you see a king on a throne, and small courtiers scuttling. Beyond is your home portal.
We can return and explore here later. We should be getting back. Lets take the guardians and commit to returning the Frost Queen's bits to where we found them.
16
Focus on the home portal before entering.
7
Jan 15 14
"The leg was in its rightful place, in the southeast tunnel behind the fire trap. The hand, which you found in some goblin hole, should be hidden at the end of the northeast tunnel, beyond the moth men. You can stun them with bright light. Thank you for your help. In exchange, my warrior Dair will serve in your army. In your world, only you can speak to her, for you have drunk the emerald wine."
We shall take the two pieces we have and hide them in distant, more secure places. Thank you for your generosity and understanding.
2
Time to return to Goizabel, take a rest and sort the notes on Light and Shocking Grasp.
4
#1 and 2# and ask how to avoid the dragon turtle.
7
#2, and ask how to avoid the dragon turtle.
2
"Why were they all hidden here together? Would it be better to replace them or to scatter them afield?"
4
Jan 13 14
"If you find a way to end Mother Frost's immortality, then all twelve of her oak tree guardians are yours: but for that you'd need to be a powerful wizard indeed. If you simply return her hand and leg to their original hiding places, I will give you one of my guardians. If you hide them in even more secure spots, I will give you two guardians."
Exaplain where the hand and leg were found, and confirm that these were the original hiding places.
9
"I think it is time for me to return to the surface - I'll contact you when I got rid of Mother Frost one way or another." Fill in Tulip about the monster that was after her.
2
what if we fed her to the Dragon we met?
8
We still don't know anything about "Mother Frost." Ask, "Why should we work with you to prevent the rise of Mother Frost? It sounds like she could give us more powerful aid."
2
Jan 9 14
The elf says, "My motive is not hidden: I guard lest Mother Frost rise again. For your aid, I will give you what little help I may. If you seek greater armies than I command, you might treat with the Greenroot King, whose prices are dear: he collects promises. Or Thorn, whose motives are dark, and who hungers for secrets. Do any of these alliances interest you?"
Perhaps, I need more information. Who are you fairy folk, what is your relationship with Mother Frost exactly?
6
"I think I was forced to trade a secret with Thorn; his Emeraldness might not like being put to sleep the way I die.And I am bound to Redrill, so making promises light lead to a conflict. Is there a way to ultimately put Mother Frost out of the equation?"
11
Jan 7 14
The elf narrows his eyes. "You would earn the wood elves' enmity. Also mine. Also the Greenroot King, whose castle you see on yonder hill above the trees. Friends? The Frost Queen, if you bind her with promises. She'd raise for you a powerful army of ice men, frost wolves, and the rabble of the frozen south. Is your Princess set on such fell allies, or would she look elsewhere for friends?"
"No, my princess has not committed to alliance with the Frost Queen... but if the Frost Queen is as evil as you say, why was she not slain, but instead kept alive in pieces?
3
No, my princess has not committed to alliance with the Frost Queen. What is the Frost Queens scepter and what risks come from bringing the parts of her body this close to it?
1
"Redrill would prefer allies bound by mutual goodwill and common cause, but thus far most who have even offered aid have asked too dear a price or hidden dark motives. Are you any different?"
15
Redrill should rebuke such an ally. If Redrill falls and this land is plunged into darkness, or Redrill allies with the Frost Queen and plunges into winter everlasting, is the same. Do you suggest any alternatives?
2
Jan 6 14
"You speak true: those who have drunk the emerald wine cannot deceive each other. Now let me tell you a law of this land, true for all, good and evil. If you answer me a question, I must answer one of yours, and so on until one of us has no more questions. Ask me a question if you wish."
"If I were to help this Frost Queen and bring her back, what allies and enemies would I make?"
17
Why would the Frost Queen's body parts still hold their life even though she is said to have passed long ago?
4
"Nah, I'm good." Drain the cup and walk out.
1
Jan 2 14
In the pool you see your eyes are changed: emerald green with no pupils. The lead elf, who has similar eyes, smiles and speaks to you. You understand his words now. "I will not ask what you saw in the wine. That is your truth. But tell me this truth: why do you come to the guardians of the Frost Queen's scepter? Do you come to raise her or kill her? or are you lost?"
"It seems, that I found her hand and a leg - and all are quite alive. For now, I seek allies for princess Esmarine of Redrill - but the Frost Queen doesn't seem trustworthy, neither are the Elves in the woods."
21
We did not seek out the Frost Queen, but came across her hand by chance. We braved the dangerous waters below neither to kill or raise her, but to know what details have long been lost to our world.
1
We came for more of that wine!
1
You are guardians? Then we are kindred in this truth - we are Guardians of the Princess and Kingdom (is it a kingdom?) of Redrill. This Frost Queen is naught to us unless she have some bearing on my duty. Is the Frost Queen friend or foe?
3
Dec 28 13
There is a struggle. The frail man staggers back clutching a mortal wound. The strong man savagely slashes the Princess down and then weeps at the weak man's side. You know that this will come to pass within the year unless you intervene. From the winy vapors you gain 1000 XP. You level up to 4! Your INT increases by 2. What other attribute increases?
CON? Will a 12 give a bonus to HP?
3
If it's +2 the CON would be nice otherwise, CHA.
15
cha, we make lots of those rolls
12
Dec 25 13
An elf presents you with a jeweled cup. You taste the emerald wine. Forever will all other wines taste like vinegar, for you have drunk of the wine of the immortal elf kings. In the dregs you see a vision. You and Princess Esmarine stand before two men, one strong, one frail. The strong man raises a sword at the Princess, but the weak man grabs his sword arm. As they struggle, do you intervene?
Do we recognize either of these men? Are they wearing anything distinguishing? Does the Princess seem older? They wear noble crests: the weakling a lily, the other a lily and acorn. Same age.
From our first adventure, I recall that the Redrill crest was an acorn motif...
1
Do a knowledge local, history and nobility check for those crests.
7
Do not intervene - simply allow the vision to play out. Then we can decide from there.
9
While everyone is distracted, pick the princess's pockets.
2
Use Charisma to distract the swordsman.
1
Aid the weaker man and protect the princess
1
Dec 23 13
You drop your invisibility and greet the elves. Tulip says, "These Fairy Folk say that we have arrived on their festival of giving. We may ask for one gift that is within their power. They will let you drink their emerald wine of enlightenment, or cast upon you a spell that will last forever, or give you a magical trinket of their choosing."
Perhaps we should ask for something to help perserve Redrill. Like a piece of information to make an ally or the ability to charm monste
2
Only a fool would pass over enlightenment for a trinket. Ask for a drink of their wine.
9
How about permanent Regeneration.
4
"Tulip, do we have any reason to question the... motives behind their gifts? I'd hate to have.. say, a polymorph spell cast on me forever. I'm rather fond of this body. Also is there anything we should give them?"
3
Number 4, and add "which one would you choose?"
3
Dec 19 13
You head to the surface: "Goizabel! Chased by a mind crushing leviathan, OK now! Gotta go!" and dive back in the pond. You swim for the green portal, keeping an eye on the receding one-eyed monstrosity. Does it notice you? (DM rolls 1d20: 15!) Yes! (DM rolls 1d3: 3!) You're close to the green circle when the monster snakes around and heads towards you, jaws wide. Wrecked in its gullet is a metal ship.
Quick! Cast invisibility on myself and hide!
2
Swim straight down the beast's throat to the ship!
2
Obi-Wan it and head for the circle
5
Negotiate.
1
Cast Invisibility and keep heading towards the green circle.
9
Dec 18 13
Your magic missile plinks the vast creature. (DM rolls 2d6: 7!) It pauses and turns its head to regard you with a single black eye. Save: (DM rolls 1d20: 17!) You fight down the urge to flee gibbering before its senseless entropy. It turns back towards Tulip. Swim check: (DM rolls 1d20+4: 24!) The distraction gives her time to escape. She disappears into the distant green circle. Foiled, the monstrous creature drifts lazily up and away.
Go to the green circle.
6
Go back up to get some air and tell Goizabel that all is OK, then go to the green circle.
12
Return to the surface, abandon the quest for the green circle for now.
2
Dec 13 13
(DM rolls 1d6: 2!) You're out of rope. You dive in the water. (DM rolls 1d6: 6!) (DM rolls 1d20: 14!) You're staring at the tail and underbelly of a colossal dragonlike creature, swimming overhead. Ahead of its teeth and mammoth pincers, you see Tulip's tiny form, a dagger glinting in her fist, swimming fast for the green circle. (DM rolls 1d6: 2!) You'd guess that the creature will catch her before she gets there.
Well it's been nice knowing Lady Mearls.
1
Go for the green circle!
3
Can we cast magic missile underwater? If so get the attention of the creature with a well placed shot to the rear and then get out before it can catch us.
9
Magic missile the creature and ready the charged bronze dagger.
2
Dec 12 13
Rope around her waist, Tulip jumps into the pond and disappears. (DM rolls 1d6: 5!) After a minute, the rope goes taut. Then it slackens. It floats back to the surface - it's been untied or cut.
What do we see in the water? And is there a new plant that appeared? Everything appears the same. You don't see Tulip.
8
Well don't split the party. Extra rope if we have it but go in after.
17
Grab the end of the rope, into the pond quick!
5
Do we still have the receipt for the rope? Oh, drat! you did, but the ink ran when you jumped in the pool!
1
Dec 9 13
"...and that's why the gods don't wear pants," you warble. Tulip smirks. Goizabel says, "Good song." In the reflection, the helmeted elf has wandered back to his original position, and the oak tree behind you has returned to the side of the pond.
Let Tulip get into the pond from the shore nearest to the new position of the tree - same precautions as before.
11
Enter the pond ropeless, and swim for the green circle. I like the idea of entering the pond closer to the tree.
5
Why are we here again? Can we leave. Let's leave the elf pond be.
3
Dec 5 13
Your swim back to the surface is made easier because someone is pulling the rope. Goizabel yanks you out of the water and pounds your back, shouting, "You disappear! are you drowned? are you elf changeling? Quick, say something elf would not say!" (DM rolls 1d20: 2!)
Sing the chorus of the most irreverent, bawdy tavern song we know.
8
We're still disguished correct? I don't remember you dispelling the goblin disguise.
2
"Yes, I love you, too."
6
Burp Loudly in his face.
5
"I'll pick up this check."
2
Dec 4 13
You swim to the end of the 50-foot rope tied to your waist. (DM rolls 1d20: 6!) You might be halfway to the green circle, but it's really hard to tell. (DM rolls 1d20: 9!) Your lungs are starting to sting a little, but you could probably make it another 50 feet, maybe more. (DM rolls 1d6: 3!) You feel a single tug on the rope.
Come back up for air and to see what the tug is about. (Also, is that 50 feet down, or off to the side-are we getting the bends?) Hard to tell. You feel neither gravity nor water pressure.
19
What direction is the growing, golden glow coming from? The golden glow is to your left and the red glow to your right.
1
look back to see what tug is about, then go for golden glow
2
Swim back and tell the others what we saw, and let them know that if we investigate further, we have to go ropeless
2
Dec 2 13
You hand your pack to Tulip, tie a rope around your waist, and dive into the pool. You're deep in an ocean spangled with stars. The elf reflection, which seemed so close, has shrunk to a distant circle ahead, ringed with green light. There are smaller circles: a tiny red dot to one side, and, elsewhere, a small golden glow, growing slowly larger.
Head toward the elf and his green circle!
8
Move slowly towards the green elf circle, and wave for him to come closer.
6
This place is fancy. Should we take off our shoes? I feel like we should take off our shoes.
1
Nov 25 13
The elf reflection considers for a moment and then gives you a come-here gesture. Reaction rolls: (DM rolls 1d6: 4!) "If you jump in, I jump in," Tulip shrugs. (DM rolls 1d6: 2!) "Here is trap we looked for," Goizabel smirks. "Come drown yourself because wet elf says so."
I tie a rope around my waist and give the other end to Goizabel. If I gesture to Tulip that it is safe, she will follow, else they try to pull me out. Deep breath, eyes closed, walk in.
6
Same as above except send in Tulip first, since she speaks elvish.
3
1, but leave the bag with the hand and leg on the surface.
16
1, 2 & 3
3
No, 3, 1, and 2 twice!
Nov 20 13
Tulip comes over and says something in Elvish. The reflection answers silently. (DM rolls 1d20: 19!) Tulip watches his lips. "It looks like he said, "Are you a friend of Mother Frost?"
"Tell him we are here to find out more about her."
22
Tell Goizabel to watch out while Tulip and I speak with the reflection: "I try to collect her parts, yes" and symbol to him that I'd like to try to kill her.
6
Yes
5
Shake our head emphatically. Don't say "No" as the hand may "hear" us some how.
1
Nov 18 13
A tree has silently appeared behind you. It is pointing a branch at you. Tulip has backed away and is pointing an arrow at it. (DM rolls 1d20: 17!) Goizabel is brandishing his flaming sword and grinning wickedly. None of the other trees have moved. (DM rolls 1d20+2: 13!) The reflected elf looked like he was speaking Elvish, but you only know the three most common Elvish words, "yes", "no," and "festival."
Tell Tulip to aim at the reflection and try to speak with him. I try to listen to the water, and Goizabel is with his sword ready at the tree that moved.
9
Grimly flip off the tree and say "No Festival", draw weapons. Badass!
5
Ask Tulip to speak to it, and try to read the lips of the reflection. Let's get some information before jumping into battle. I think the icky hand is the bad guy.
6
Nov 15 13
You stare into the pond. You all look the same, except that no black moths circle Goizabel's sword. Instead of a ceiling, there's a night sky behind you. (DM rolls 1d20: 5!) (DM rolls 1d6: 4!) "I have no idea who these people are," says Tulip. One of the white-cloaked elf reflections walks up to your reflection, draws his sword, and says something. You can't hear it.
Back out of view of the pool. "What are the reflections doing now?"
4
Did a tree move when the elf moved? Yes, a tree has come up behind you.
6
toss a pebble on the elf's reflection
2
How about an educated guess at lip reading?
6
Let's move away from the tree that came up behind us.
2
Nov 13 13
You walk over to the pond, which is next to a couple of oak trees. The trees cast no reflection in the pond: in the place of each tree is a motionless elf in a white cloak and fanciful helmet. Big silver-white butterflies flitter around inside the reflection. (DM rolls 1d6: 2!)
pour some light spell in the pond
4
Look for a fallen branch to craft a crude 10' pole and probe the surface of the pond.
2
Ask Tulip is she knows anything about the elves, their arms or armour.
5
We probably shouldn't touch illusionary branches until we know what's up... Is each butterflies a "reflections" of one moths? Can we view the reflection of one of the doorway oaks in the pond?
2
Does anything else reflect differently from how we see it? Including our party members, the body parts, and each of our pieces of equipment?
5
number 3 and number 5
5
Nov 11 13
(DM rolls 1d20+2: 13!) The three of you manage to rotate the stone disc about eight inches before it gets stuck. The trap square corners are now pointing nowhere particular. (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) The grinding stone disturbs the black moths in the trees. A few of them fly in circles around Goizabel; a few dart past and plop into the pond.
(inches or degrees?) Let's have a look at the pond.
4
flee
2
Let's investigate the pond, but keep an eye on the copse of oaks to the north.
12
Nov 7 13
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 13!) You draw a glowy map. There's a central cave (the stone disc is in the middle, next to the stairs up) with four diagonal tunnels. After listening for some time, Tulip hears a snapping sound from under the stone. It happens again a few minutes later. (DM rolls 1d6: 2!) It sounds like a little explosion, like a twig crackling in a fire, or a spark of lightning, echoing inside a deep well.
Smash the stone disk.
4
Can the X stone be rotated so that it faces towards/away from the tunnels?
10
We should split up, cover more ground that way. Elf NW, Goblin NE, Human SE, Hand SW.
1
If the hand can freeze water, we could, possibly freeze something directly to the disc and attempt to pull or twist it open. "Hey hand.. Can you Freeze water?"
4
Nov 6 13
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 10!) You and Tulip search. There don't seem to be any deadfalls, mechanisms, or pressure plates that you can find. The stone disc is flush with the stone around it, and you can barely slip a fingernail between them. From here, you can see that there are tunnels to the NE, NW, SE, and SW, each flanked by oak trees, and a stand of trees to the north. There's a pond to the northwest.
Investigate the oak trees for these watchers.
3
Press ear against the disk to try and identify the sound that drew our attention to it.
5
Can I use the liquid light spell as some sort of Ink? Then now is the best time to start making a map. And I'd assume, that the head is in the north, so our next way should be for an arm. Goizabel and Tulip should listen to the disc.
6
How do oak trees grow underground? Do any of our company also find that odd? Tulip finds it odd.
1
Mark a tree trunk with a big arrow chopped into it with Gozie's sword, showing the way back out. Watch to make sure it doesn't heal over or do anything weird. Check trees for more eye traps like before.
1
Nov 4 13
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 12!) The goblin brushes away leaves, revealing a yard-wide stone disc set in the floor. Runes circle the disc. "MOTHER FROST'S HEART MUST NOT BEAT AGAIN! May Hart's belly swallow those who seek her." At the center of the disc is the cartographic symbol for a trap, an X inscribed in a square.
Check for traps.
10
Who labels their traps as traps? Clearly there's no trap this time, and we should open it recklessly! With our tongues, if possible.
3
Ignore it, and continue back out of the dungeon.
2
Pretty sure we should leave this until we get our government's approval. Secure body parts as strongly as possible in our packs, leave dungeon.
5
Oct 31 13
You fall back while Goizabel approaches the noise with his sword. (DM rolls 1d20+2: 16!) No creatures are visible. Tulip says, "It sounds like the noise is coming from under the leaves." Goizabel taps the ground with his sword blade. It echoes like hollow stone.
too bad we don"t have a showel with us so we have to dig with our hands...
1
listen more closely to try and identify the sound before brushing the leaves away and examining the stone if it seems safe to do so.
6
Look for twigs that may have been snapped by an opening or closing trap door. Or for patterns in the leaves from the same.
9
Oct 30 13
"I STARTED A DYNASTY THE SAME WAY ANYONE DOES: I CONQUERED. MY ARMIES WERE THE SNOWS AND THE WOLVES. YOU SEE, I AM POWERFUL IN WAR. BUT I WAS A MOTHER TO MY PEOPLE. I PROVIDED THE ELVES WITH DEER. THEY NEED NOT HUNT. THEY WERE FREE TO FROLIC AND SING." (DM rolls 1d20: 6!) (DM rolls 1d6: 6!) Behind you, in the darkness to the west, you hear a crackling like branches being broken.
Let Goizabel loudly go forward while hiding with Tulip in order to catch that follower.
10
Prepare for combat - look for a defensible location and shine the light to the west to see what is there.
12
Oct 28 13
(DM rolls 1d20+2: 9!) Tulip bows. You gather the party and go northwest. The big leaf-strewn central cave, lit only by Goizabel's sword, extends west into the darkness. There's a passage going northeast, flanked by black-barked oak trees, where Tulip had said she had seen watchers. (DM rolls 1d20: 7!) No one there now except big black moths flying among the branches.
"Hand, I can't help but notice you referred to yourself as 'Queen of the Elves', do you care to elaborate on this? How did you become queen?"
11
Anything unusual about the moths? From here, all you can see is that they're hand-sized.
10
Head north-east keeping our eyes on the trees for an ambush.
5
Oct 25 13
The Hand writes, "I RULED THIS FOREST AS QUEEN OF THE ELVES. I SHARED A PEACEFUL BORDER WITH REDRILL." You shrug and drop the leg pieces. The hand scuttles over, gathers power and (DM rolls 1d8+2: 10!) jets a billow of snow at Goizabel. All his wounds are healed. Tulip whispers, "There was a Mother Frost, a witch who enslaved the elves. Freeing her may be unwise." The hand writes, "THE REST OF MY ARM IS NORTH."
Whisper to Tulip "having her around in pieces may be unwise as well." Grab the remains of the shaman and go north.
9
So, it seems that the current King of the Elves (who we know is kind of a jerk- doing assassinations, bribing goblins to attack human towns, etc) has a powerful enemy in Mother Frost. Is the enemy of my enemy my friend? I think we should head to Redrill and consult with Princess Esmarine
7
Frost queen eh... we're going to need fire... lots and lots of fire. Where's our mysterious watcher?
1
"History is written by the winners. We'll deal with this disposed queen without preconceptions... but we will be careful." North we go.
4
Third suggestion above, but first head North to finish gathering the body parts.
2
This is all fine, though I think we may be relying too much on our once a day "undo that action" power. Have we used it today?
1
Oct 24 13
"WHEN I WAS WHOLE, I COULD RESURRECT. UNITE MY BODY AND I WILL RESURRECT YOUR BROTHER, ALONG WITH ANY OTHER MINIONS WHO DIE ALONG THE WAY. I WILL RAISE AN ARMY TO FIGHT FOR YOU. I WILL FREEZE YOUR ENEMIES UNDER BLIZZARDS. ONCE I AM QUEEN IN MY OWN LAND, I WILL MAKE AN ALLIANCE WITH YOUR KINGDOM. I OFFER YOU THE HAND OF FRIENDSHIP!" It crosses out "HAND" and writes "GIFT".
Give it the leg pieces. Hard work will eventually bear the fruit of powerful allies.
4
Find out where her kingdom was/is going to be, and if it doesn't conflict with Redrill, give the hand the leg pieces.
5
"Big talk for a hand. You've piqued my interest, so your parts are coming with me instead of burning her and now. Now show me you can deliver something beside bluster - heal my ally."
3
"Thanks Hand, you've made these promises before, we haven't forgotten. Heal Goizabel and stop wandering off." Speak to the newly released Foot. "Foot. If Hand gets out of line, kick it as hard as you can." Gather up all the remains (including the Shaman's body) and head back out.
2
Who were you and where was your kingdom?
2
Give the leg pieces to Goizabel.
1
(Wait just a minute here.. I can do the math, okay? Right now, I'm down an ally because you decided to take matters into your own ha.... never mind! Clearly, We can't trust you to look after our interests, whereas We've helped you get this far. So who's to say you won't burn us again?
2
Its name is now The Hand of Friendship. It seems OK with this.
1
Oct 23 13
(DM rolls 1d20+2: 13!) Goizabel considers, and nods. He addresses the hand: "So, hand? Can you resurrect my brother?" The hand writes in the dust: "GOBLIN, YOU ARE HURT. GIVE ME THE LEG PIECES AND I WILL CAST A HEALING SPELL TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER AND FRIENDSHIP." (BTW I added a Quests log on the character sheet. You helped Goizabel find his brother, and you found a body part for the hand: +700 quest XP.)
SWEET!
3
"That's all well and good, but you didn't answer his question. Better be straight with us if you want our help."
14
Give the leg pieces to Goizabel and read the writing aloud to him if nessecary.
9
We get quest XP for problems we create? Ask Goizabel if he has any more family members. D&D characters: creating and solving problems since 1974.
2
Oct 21 13
You give the amulet to Tulip and walk away. It's still blocking your teleport: it must protect a wide area. You tell Goizabel why you won't destroy the animate body parts. (DM rolls 1d20+4: 8!) He says, "If you bring this thing to life, what next? kill it? or trade power with it?"
"Once we have all its parts, it will be in our power. I imagine I'll persuade it to write out as many spells and secrets as it knows in the hopes of being sewn back together, then we'll set it afire."
2
"I just want to have all of it in one place to kill it in one, efficient stroke. I don't like loose ends."
4
"We can't be sure that the other parts couldn't be restored without these - these are our best hope of finding the rest of the creature and putting an end to it for good."
6
Give an honest answer to Jim "We don't really know yet. But it's claimed it can raise the dead, so it might be able to bring your brother back"
13
Oct 18 13
(DM rolls 1d20: 2!) You bag the leg, do a quick search to make sure you missed nothing, and return through the fire to Tulip. She reads the amulet: "Who travels in a blink will be caught in my snare." (DM rolls 1d20+4: 14!) Come to think of it, the magical teleportation path that leads to Princess Esmarine seems to be distorted by the amulet. Goizabel says, "Let us bury my brother and burn that cursed hand."
Out of "earshot" of the hand, to Goizabel: "This hand is just one part of a larger body. I'd rather not have the rest of it as my enemy until I know where the rest of it is."
4
Number one, and give the amulet to Tulip.
15
Hand Goizabel the spell-trapped bag, ask him to untie it and go put the cursed hand in it, while we 'check out this amulet'. Get ready to Magic Missle Goizabel once he unties the bag and gets zapped.
3
Use two body parts to distract the eyes - since they don't burn - and get everyone into the tunnel.
2
Oct 17 13
The other two bags-o-dirt contain the upper and lower leg that go with the foot. Looks female and human. (DM rolls 1d20: 10!) (DM rolls 1d6: 4!) No other body parts, jewelry, or treasure.
Talk to the hand! Does it recognize these body parts? Tap once for yes, twice for no.
7
Let's finish bagging the body parts and have a quick search around. After that let's get out of here and have Tulip examine the amulet.
13
1 and 2
1
Oct 16 13
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 13!) The amulet is magic. You can't read the elven runes on the front. The back is engraved with a maze. The foot has righted itself and is trying a few tiny hops. There are two other bags.
Stow the amulet and open the next bag.
4
As above, but as we find body parts, torch them using the flame-eyes.
2
Slice open the remaining bags and begin assembling body parts.
2
Start storing the body parts in our own container as we carefully slice the remaining bags.
9
!!Ask Tulip to decipher the runes before we decide to help this undead wizard put himself back together!!
2
Oct 15 13
You slice one of the bags open. Dry dirt spills out onto the floor. (DM rolls 1d3: 3!) A severed foot plops out. The slender toes wiggle. There's a dirty silver amulet still inside the bag.
Looks like we found our remaining body parts... carefully lift out and examine the silver amulet.
17
Throw each bag between the fiery eyes. After they have been turned to ashes, sift through the contents for anything of note.
4
Slice open the remaining bags and begin assembling the body parts.
1
Oct 14 13
You try shaking the light potion, and then pour a drop on the ground. The little puddle flares painfully bright and then subsides to a dim glow. You search for traps or devices. (DM rolls 1d20: 20!) Crit! You discover a hidden runic pattern in the knotted twine tying the bags closed. Anyone who cuts or unties the string will trigger some sort of spell.
Cut one of the bags open without disturbing the string.
16
put the bags in the pack until finding a way to open them from a distance.
4
Leave the bags alone for the moment while we search the rest of the area.
2
Oct 10 13
Goizabel keeps his sword extended. Tulip distracts the right eye with another arrow after her first burns up. You duck under the flames and walk through unharmed. The passage continues several dozen yards, and it's getting darker, even with the light of the flames behind you. At the end of the tunnel, around a bend in a dark alcove, are what look like a pile of plump sacks.
Look for any kind of rune or switch or other way to reactivate the eyes.
4
Oh yeah baby, some plump sacks. Stop and listen, sniff, examine walls and floor, then poke the plumpest sack with the longest tool available.
4
1 and 2 above, and use the light potion if needed.
13
Oct 8 13
Goizabel points his red sword blade into the tunnel. Both eyes' flame gouts bathe it, but don't bounce backwards. (DM rolls 1d20: 14!) Tulip tries a silver-tipped arrow. The right eye's beam stays on the sword and the left eye switches to roast the arrowhead. It's starting to melt. Your most reflective items are your silver dagger and your elven chainmail.
Will the eyes still attack something below thier gaze, like on the ground? Slide a coin across the ground to test.
5
Let's leave the tunnel alone for the moment and explore the rest of the cavern.
1
Use the sword and another item on the left and right eye respectively. Then walk between them.
6
Huddle. Have we passed anything heavy but movable since descending? Could we move something from upstairs? And has the watcher followed us?
3
Oct 7 13
You toss a looped rope towards the corpse. The laser eyes track the rope and it catches on fire as soon as it enters the tunnel, (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) but the cord holds together (DM rolls 1d20: 14!) long enough to get the corpse halfway over the danger line. As the body gets a second searing, you pull it the rest of the way over the line. The sewed-on hand is twitching and smoking.
Put the corpse in the corner, so the hand can sit and think about what it did. Bad Hand! Time out for you!
3
Skewer the hand on a knife, remove it from the body, then slow roast it to cinders using the eyes.
2
We need something reflective to destroy the eyes. Does Goizabel have a shield or something shiny that might serve? Also we might question the hand for information about what's beyond this point using yes or no questions that it can tap out a response to.
10
We need to rethink why we're here. The hand is obviously evil, we can't go forward yet because of the eyes, we have unknown forces behind us, and now that the shaman is dead our mission is accomplished. Search the cavern.
3
Oct 3 13
You throw a cloak between the carved eyes. Both eyes shoot gouts of flame which play over every part of the cloak until it's totally incinerated. Beyond, the charred body is inching down the tunnel. It's being slowly dragged by the scrabbling fingers of one lightly-burned hand. "Brother," says Goizabel. He kneels and says a prayer.
Let Tulip pin down the corpse with arrows while I do investigate the eyes in order to disable them. Goizabel should check our back.
8
Lasso the corpse and drag the it back to us, avoiding the eyes.
10
Call for the hand to stop while Tulip and Goizabel watches our back.
6
Evil Hands, they just don't make them like they used to. Give them a fresh goblin to control and they go and get killed
1
Sep 30 13
Southeast, two big oak trees form an arch over a tunnel in the cavern wall. Over the tunnel, a stone plaque reads, "MOTHER FROST MUST NOT WALK AGAIN! May Hart's eyes slay any they see who seek her." On each side of the tunnel is a carving of an eye. A few feet beyond the eyes, a charred body is lying on the ground.
Check inventory, do we have any mirrors with us?
1
Investigate the body, be ready for attack and signal Tulip to watch the watcher just in case.
4
Toss a cloak over one of the eye carvings.
2
Looks like we found the shaman. Sorry your bro is dead Goizobol. Head back to town and have an ale.
4
2 and 3. Is the corpse freshly toasted? Still smoking!
12
Toss something through the arch, past the body.
2
Sep 30 13
You discharge the coins, carefully sheath the bronze dagger, prop the trapdoor, and descend. (DM rolls 1d6: 3!) Goizabel and Tulip follow. (DM rolls 1d20+4: 10!) You're in a big leaf-carpeted cavern. The stone sounds hollow under your feet. Tulip frowns. "A forest living in pitch blackness?" She studies the ground. "Someone recently passed southeast." Goizabel adds, "Tunnels all around. Someone watching from northeast."
Feign ignorance of the watcher, move southeast and lay an ambush.
9
Go west, then let Goizabel sneak up to the watcher while Tulip tries to find the track again.
3
Wave at the watcher to the northeast then follow the trail to the southeast.
2
Sep 26 13
(DM rolls 1d20: 17!) Your rig works: you generate little arcs of lightning between the knife and the coins. You discover that after each coin is touched once, it's no longer electrical. Zapping the potions or water doesn't seem to do anything. Cross-indexing your findings in the notebooks, you learn that the Shocking Grasp spell can only be stored in copper or bronze objects, not glass or liquid.
Are there any un-triggered coins? If so, find an empty glass jar with a lid, put a copper piece in it, and try to zap current from a wired coin into the jarred penny.
5
Find something to firmly wedge to trapdoor open (maybe a crate?) and descend.
5
That means our knife is charged. Touch all the coins with knife, then do #2.
14
Sep 25 13
Goizabel sits in front of the food crate and eats a bunch of food, including some that looks rotten to you. In Dungeon Robber style, he regains 1 HP. You search around and find thick leather gloves, a bronze dagger, a sewing kit with a spool of copper embroidery thread, a small bag with 10 GP in copper and silver coins, and several glass jars, some of which are filled with faintly-glowing liquid.
Do the glass jars match the description of a successfully brewed light potion? Yes.
6
Head down the trapdoor, carefully avoiding touching the copper coins.
2
Ok, put on the gloves, connect the dagger to the thread and the other end to the jars. Gingerly try to "recharge" the jars without getting ourselves killed...
9
take it all
2
Put on the gloves and cut down the coins on the trapdoor with the bronze dagger.
2
Sep 24 13
You take the spellbooks. (DM rolls 1d20: 2!) As Goizabel lowers himself into the tunnel, he brushes one of the copper coins on the trapdoor. There's a crackle and flash (DM rolls 1d8: 5!). Goizabel slumps. You and Tulip grab him and pull him out of the hole. After a few moments, he opens his eyes and curses in Goblin. (He's at 5/12 HP.) Tulip sniffs the air and looks puzzled. "Smells like a forest down there."
Is there something insulating around, so we could collect the coins? And let Goizabel eat some of the still usable food.
9
We can't afford for anyone to be hurt as we go deeper. Is there something we can short circuit the trapped coins with? Wire, water?
3
Quick find a bag of rats lol.
2
Can we take the trap door out of the floor somehow? rip it out?
4
Sep 23 13
You stow the books, don the specs, thread the rug through the stone trapdoor's bronze ring, and pull it open. The bottom of the trapdoor is covered with jingling copper coins dangling from inch-long threads. A furry belt is looped through the handle on the trapdoor's bottom. A vertical shaft descends into darkness. Iron staples provide easy hand- and foot-holds.
Send Goizabel down first and grab the spellbooks, too.
11
Drop a torch down the shaft.
3
Learn Light, then cast Light on a copper coin and cut the thread to drop it down the shaft.
4
Make a pile of everything worthless and flammable in the room except something to shove with, light it all on fire, and shove it down the shaft.
3
Sep 20 13
"We killed him," smiles Goizabel. "Can't have been much of a wizard," you reply. Indeed, looking through his spellbooks, he only knew the Light cantrip and the level 1 spell Shocking Grasp. His notebooks, though, show astonishing experiments in making both spells permanent. One notebook is open to a recipe for a "light potion." Wooden crates hold food (some rotten), clothes, and magic ingredients.
Keep the notebooks, open the trapdoor with goggles on.
6
question for the DM: how long to learn a new cantrip? A few hours.
Stop to learn Light, then goggle up and carefully open the trap door, from a distance with a stick or something, while wearing the goggles.
5
Same as 1 but open the door with a rope or some other device to keep us away from a mechanical or magical trap.
19
Keep the notebooks and the spellbook. Then go on from there.
4
Sep 19 13
(DM rolls 1d20: 15!) Dusty tracks lead to the mussed rug. You kick it aside and reveal a trap door. As you pick up dark glasses, Goizabel says, "This must be lair of wizard. Lived here when we came. We caught him. He threw things to blind us. Elf! That door has trap. Many dead goblins on other side." Tulip jerks away from the tapestry in the north door.
Open the trapdoor, but have Goizabel and Tupil ready to strike.
1
"Did the goblins kill the wizard Goizabel?" The wizard cannot be the owner of the hand... but that is for later. Finish our search of the room for anything useful and prepare to see what is benheath the trapdoor.
11
Same as 1, but put on the goggles first.
7
Sep 18 13
You open the door (DM rolls 1d20: 8!) and enter a cozy-looking but dusty study. Tulip advances to a tapestry-hung doorway on the far side and peeks beyond. There's a disarranged rug on the floor. Along the right wall is a bookshelf and a bed, and the left wall has an easy chair and a work table covered with stoppered bottles, glassware, and several pairs of dark eyeglasses. Under the table are wooden crates.
First I examine the bookshelf, then the table, while Tulip and Goizabel look for signs of the shaman
5
Are there recent footsteps in the dust? Let's each pocket a pair of the dark eyeglasses just in case as we carefully search the study.
12
Grab the dark eyeglasses, then check under the rug for a trap door under neith, after that check the bookshelf. Then do a general serch of the room.
6
Sep 17 13
(DM rolls 1d20: 2!) (DM rolls 1d20+4: 21!) You and Tulip listen. "I hear footsteps ahead, but not nearby. Should we wait here or sneak onward?" says Tulip. Goizabel replies scornfully, "No wait here, could be shaman. No sneak with sword glow. I see in dark more than elf, much more than human. I go ahead." Tulip shakes her head: "My people say, 'Send a goblin to scout on the enemy and you have one more enemy.'"
We go together, or not at all. Onward.
13
Ask Goizabel if I could make the sword glow.
7
Let G-Dawg scout ahead at a distance of approximately twenty paces. Far enough that we don't interfere, but not far enough for shenanigans.
2
Sep 16 13
As Goizabel advances on you, (DM rolls 1d20+2: 21!) you yell, "Here! Food!" and throw him your venison scraps. You summon Tulip. She tosses more meat to the glazed goblin. When he's done gorging, (DM rolls 1d20: 19!) he says, "I hear you behind, elf. You better tracker than sneaker? Where is shaman?" Tulip (DM rolls 1d20+4: 20!) glances at the ground and leads you east, to the second Zan statue. Behind it is a red door. Tulip signals for quiet.
quietly listen at the door.
9
Prepare to attack at a momments notice
6
Let Tulip do whatever, she's got dis.
7
Sep 13 13
You take the metal cornucopia and run back, where (DM rolls 1d20+2: 17!) (DM rolls 1d20+2: 13!) Goizabel and the dog are grappling. As you bring the cornucopia near, the dog fades into nothingness. Goizabel scrambles to his feet, ripping open his pouch and gulping down dried berries. "Food! I need food!" (DM rolls 1d20: 6!) He advances on you, sword glowing and eyes wild.
Toss the cornucopia to Goizabel.
8
Get food from Hugh to feed Goizabael. Once he's sated, search around and then put the cornucopia into the arms of the statue of Zan.
8
Give Goizabel the scraps and ask Tulip for something - perhaps even one of the dead goblins...
11
Hugh isn't with us is he?
Sep 12 13
Goizabel swings bloody-handed at the dog (DM rolls 1d20+4: 9!) and it bites back (DM rolls 1d20+2: 9!) but neither do damage. You run into the darkness, past the end of the dog's entrail-leash tied to a peg, and finally reach a second statue of Zan. In the dim light, you see that the goddess is holding a cornucopia.
Can we move the cornucopia? If so, let's get it to the other statue...
7
Grab the cornucopia and present it to the Hunger Hound.
10
take the cornucopia and use it against the dog
2
Sep 9 13
You shred your pack and scarf the venison. (DM rolls 1d20+2: 5!) (DM rolls 1d20+2: 10!) Goizabel and the dog stab and snap at each other, keeping each other busy. Your hunger fades. You realize that you've devoured several days worth of rations, and only scraps are left. Goizabel winds up for another big life-draining swing. As the sword flashes, you glimpse another statue far to the east.
Does the hunger relate to the cornucopia perhaps? Tell Gorzibal to keep the shadow hound distracted while we find out about the other statue, and quick!
11
Magic Missile the dogs entrails
2
When the dog tore at our throats, we suddenly became hungry, yet it did no damage. We should warn Gorzibal about this, and see what he knows
2
Magic Missile the dog again it is likely heavily wounded by now. Should we be able to shoot 2 missiles because we're 3rd level?
4
Sep 8 13
Cha check: (DM rolls 1d20+2: 5!) The dog growls, slavering shadowy foam, and leaps at you (DM rolls 1d20+4: 23!), knocking you over and ripping at your throat. You feel no pain and take no HP damage. You're ravenously hungry. If you don't eat in the next few seconds, you're sure you'll start to die. You remember the venison in your pack. Failing that, Goizabel is starting to look delicious. (DM rolls 1d20+2: 8!) Goizabel swings wide.
Tear into our pack and devour the venison.
17
Let's go for broke: Eat Gorizabel
6
Magic Missile the trailing entrails. This is a spirit of hunger.
6
Sep 5 13
(DM rolls 1d4+1: 2!) You blast the dog. Goizabel whirls his sword in a circle. Its hilt, a metal hand, digs its claws into his wrist. His blood pours up the blade. The gory sword flashes as it (DM rolls 1d20+3: 14!) slams down on the beast, (DM rolls 2d8+3: 10!) hacking off a big chunk of shadow. (DM rolls 1d20+2: 3!) The dog backs away from the blade: it's right next to you now.
I aim the magic missile on a wound I can reach.
5
Scold the hound in a stern arcane voice telling it to scam, blasting it with another magic missle.
2
Interesting, its attack did no damage to Goizabel and it backed away instead of attacking this round. Scold the hound in a stern arcane voice. "No! Bad dog! Sit!" (intimidate)
18
Assert your dominance by biting off its ear.
1
question for the GM: Is the character sheet correct? Are we out of spells? Oops! Fixed! All your spells are available.
1
question for the GM: really? Our Disguise Self spell didn't work and we're human? Oops! Re-fixed!
1
Sep 4 13
The shadowy creature is a large, partially transparent dog. From a wound in its belly, spectral red entrails lead behind it to the east. (DM rolls 1d4+1: 2!) You Magic Missile the creature as it leaps, charring its fur. At the same time, an arrow flies from behind you, passing through it with no effect. (DM rolls 1d20+4: 8!) The dog slams into Goizabel. The goblin staggers but stays on his feet.
It appears to be immune to physical attack. Order Goizabel and Tulip to retreat whilst firing another magic missile.
3
Ask Goizabel if he knows any way to dismiss the hound. If he doesn't, keep firing Missiles, and tell him to try using his magic sword.
5
Zap the hound with magic missiles and encourage Goizabel to use his magic blade. Signal Tulip to stay hidden. If the goblin kills the hound great! We defeated it together and can go help his bother. If the hound kills the goblin, great! Free sword for Tulip and we can help the hand.
16
Sep 3 13
You walk east. The rumble resolves into a low animal growl ahead of you. (DM rolls 1d20: 16!) You spot bared teeth in a slinking canine shadow. Behind the shape is a trailing red thread, like a leash, or a trail of blood. (DM rolls 1d2: 2!) The shadow is poised to spring at Goizabel, who (DM rolls 1d20: 14!) hasn't noticed it.
Magic Missile the shadow.
11
Magic Missile the red thread.
5
Run up and grab the 'leash'
2
Warn Goizabel quietly, and throw a venison provision in its path.
7
Let him die. He was going to betray you anyways.
2
Aug 29 13
Depending on how the cornucopia was designed, it would point either east or up. (DM rolls 1d20: 15!) You peer east. You see nothing - walls are too distant to be illuminated by the glowing sword - but you hear a deep, quiet rumble, like distant thunder.
go east
19
levitate up. Oh wait.... ok I guess we go east then.
9
Cup an ear against the wall, and ask Tulip to do so- can we tell where the rumble is coming from, or get a better sense of it?
1
I ask Goizabel, if he can lift me closer to the ceiling
2
Aug 28 13
Goizabel leads through an irregular cave to a place where you can turn either north or east. In the center of the intersection, dyed red by the glow from Goizabel's sword, is a statue of the goddess Zan. Her arms are curved as if she's meant to be holding her traditional cornucopia, but her arms are empty. (DM rolls 1d20: 13!) "Can't find tracks," says Goizabel. "North is goblin home. East--" he shrugs.
Where would the cornucopia normally point? That's our direction.
10
Motion to Tulip to check for tracks.
5
We go east.
5
Get coffer. Put coffer in statue's hands.
1
Find the cournucopia and place it in her hands
3
Aug 27 13
"No one return to tell us why no one return," sneers Goizabel. He waits impatiently while you open the door and peer into the room. It smells of death. There are three goblins lying in sleeping positions on furs. The goblins are dead, rotting, and emaciated, as if they were starved. The small, rusted iron coffer sits by one of their heads.
Ask Tulip to check the coffer for traps before opening it.
5
Search for a secret door, as there doesn't appear to be any other exit the shaman used. (Tulip is still following, hidden) Goizebal thinks the shaman went north down a passage past this room.
2
The coffer can wait. Follow the shaman to the north.
11
Chop off goblin heads - explain to Goizabal this is in case they arise as Undead - and continue down the passage. Marching order: Goizabal then me then Tulip.
4
Aug 26 13
(DM rolls 1d20+2: 21!) Your signals: Smirk, nod, beckon enthusiastically, point at eyes. Tulip nods and glides forward. You catch up with Goizabel. (DM rolls 1d20: 17!) He's kneeling inside the cavern, examining the ground. There's a passage north and a half-open door to the east: inside the door you see prone goblins and what looks like a metal coffer. "This way, I think," says Goizabel, pointing to the passage.
Before following Goizabel through the eastern door, we should examine the coffer and goblins carefully. It might be useful to know what put them in this state.
8
"Lead the way!"
5
Same as number 1 and also ask Goizabel 'why does no one return from this passage?'
9
Aug 23 13
(DM rolls 1d20+2: 11!) "Of course I go. The shaman is half brother. Human blind in darkness, yes?" He flourishes his red-bladed scimitar and it glows with a bloody radiance. "Here is light. Follow me and I defend you." He starts into the cavern. From her hiding place, Tulip is signaling you, asking whether she should follow.
Signal to her. 'yes, of course. Follow close behind and keep a watchful eye.'
22
What gave my disguise away? Good question. This goblin does seem well-informed on your movements.
6
Indicate for Tulip to stay, we may need a rapid exit...
2
I dunno if signaling is gonna be more complex than "Follow" or "Stay". Signal "Follow" (please roll this into the affirmative vote above)
1
Aug 22 13
(DM rolls 1d20: 4!) (DM rolls 1d20: 18!) (DM rolls 1d20: 19!) You run forward to get the shaman into the range of a Sleep spell, but before you do, he's disappeared. Beyond the neat little door is a dark, relatively unworked cavern. You'll need light to continue. Goizabel is approaching you, shouting, "No one comes back from that door! Save him!" Behind Goizabel, you see Tulip behind a tree, covering him with an arrow.
"we'll be the first." Go in after the Shaman.
8
#1 but insist Goizabel comes with us.
12
Aug 20 13
The goblin shaman opens the second door in the hill and goes inside. He's disappearing into the darkness. You hear a rustle behind you. You turn to see a muscular goblin running towards you from the forest, shouting "Stop him!" in orcish. You recognize this goblin as Goizabal, who had negotiated with you earlier for the goblin shaman's safety.
Stop the Shaman? Why? We're returning him for you...
13
In the words of Huey, Dewey and Louie. "We've tripped the trap."
1
I shoot a Fireball at the door and run towards it. As soon as Tulip meets me inside, I grab her and we teleport to the Princess.
6
Chase the shaman and immobilize him.
15
Aug 9 13
(DM rolls 1d20: 19!) The goblin shaman starts walking towards the repaired goblin door. Halfway there, he pauses, and then turns jerkily and walks towards the second door in the hill - the one you haven't explored.
prepare to put him to sleep if he knocks on it
5
Let him do his thing but prepare to react to anything
34
No, this is good, maybe it's a Goblin test to make sure it's the real shaman or something.
6
The hand is more in control of the goblin then we thought. It's taking him to the next part of its body...
31
so, let's see where the hand is leading.
5
Aug 8 13
You exchange knowledge with the hand. It says that its arm is on level 2 of the goblin cave, through the door you haven't explored. You Disguise yourself as a brutish goblin and escort the shaman home, with Tulip trailing. (DM rolls 1d6: 6!) (DM rolls 1d20: 17!) (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) Apart from spotting a distant Moon Girl, you reach the goblin dungeon without event. The damaged door has been reinforced with wood. (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) No guards are in sight.
Remind the shaman of the deal and send him to knock on the door.
8
Throw rocks at the door and prepare for a possible ambush since the goblins likely have a back door somewhere. If that happens, make sure the shaman is killed first.
2
Don't throw rocks at their door, honestly who brought you people up?
2
The shaman is an evil goblin, don't let him just walk away, his word means nothing to us.
2
Boldly enter the dungeon. While there are goblins that want the Shaman back and are willing to deal, and the Shaman has been terrified into obediance (at least while we're seem to have the upper hand) the Chief escaped and presumably won't easily give up his power. We have to go in.
3
Kill the Shaman and wear him Buffalo Bill-style. Infiltrate the dungeon before your Shaman-suit starts to smell too bad.... oh wait, nevermind the smell it's a Goblin cave. Still the stretch marks and stitches might give the game away if anyone looks too closely.
1
Aug 7 13
(DM rolls 1d20+2: 13!) That's pretty convincing! Through Tulip, the shaman agrees to give you a chest full of silver coins, and to move the goblins back into the elven forest, if the hand will spare him and grant him power.
I disguise myself again and we proceed to the exchange site. Tulip should hide somwhere just in case. Tell the hand the way to the castle - just in case, and it shouldn't bring that goblin with it...
2
Well, that worked out well. Send him on his way, inform Louis that the goblins will not be a problem any more, and let's get back to Redrill before that soldier does.
5
Same as 1 above, but ask the hand to give us details on the next closest body part before we leave, so we can also make good on our commitments to it.
15
Did the Shaman reveal any details on their payment from the elves that had led to them attacking the human village?
8
Aug 6 13
You ask everyone but Tulip to leave the hut. A short and bloody operation later, the surprised goblin shaman has one goblin hand and one beautiful human woman's hand. How well does the graft work? (DM rolls 1d20: 5!) The hand can only control the goblin's left arm, not the whole goblin, but it can try to block the shaman's actions. As a side effect, the goblin is terrified of you and willing to obey orders.
put the shamans hand in a jar with alcohol to preserve it for him and do the exchange.
10
Ask Tulip where we should sew the shaman's hand?
2
Tell the goblin he has been blessed with a totem that may open doors to powerful magics (likely true). If he fails us, the hand will strangle him in his sleep (also likely true). Interrogate him, then tell him he will make the village taboo to goblins & they owe blood debt to its folk.
12
Aug 5 13
During the goblin shaman's filibustering rant, you give the hand a pen. It writes, "CUT OFF THE GOBLIN'S HAND AND SEW ME ON. I CAN PREVENT HIM FROM SPELLCASTING. READ HIS THOUGHTS. MAYBE LEARN TO CONTROL HIM LIKE A PUPPET - I HOPE!"
Do what the hand says.
13
Always do what the hand says.
1
Discuss the hand's proposal with Tulip.
2
The hand is a distraction. So is the shaman. Send Tulip after the goblin and get ready to march with the villagers.
12
That is just too freaking awesome not to do!
1
This is an incredibly poor idea.
1
Let's name the Hand 'Vecna' and do as it writes!
3
Aug 1 13
"Alright, I'll try talking with him." Tulip takes off the goblin's gag and speaks to him. Charisma check: (DM rolls 1d20: 5!) It turns out the shaman knows a little elvish. Your knowledge of elvish curses is sufficient to translate the shaman's bug-eyed and convulsive rant, which ends with him spitting at Tulip. The hand in your pouch is trying to get your attention.
Take the hand somewhere private, and give it a pen.
24
Tell Loius to start rallying the village and preparing to finish things with the goblins. Tulip & I will track the sneaking goblin and see what is going on. The hand can wait.
2
#1, and we really need a way that the hand could morse to us...
13
Jul 31 13
"Will you come with me or shall I follow the goblin tracks on my own?" asks Tulip. "Why follow tracks? They probably go back to the goblin dungeon," objects Louis. "That rider could be back from Redrill in three days. We should take the direct route to the dungeon, preferably with twenty villagers and the ballista." From inside your pouch, you hear the hand snapping its fingers in approval.
Go with Tulip to follow the tracks and then come back and regroup with Louis and the others.
6
How about the Hand follows the tracks, and Tulip hides at the exchange site, ready to shoot the shaman when he believes to be save...
1
Too bad we haven't been able to interrogate the Shaman, he might be able to tell us why the Elves bribed them to attack the humans. Perhaps he speaks Elvish. Tulip, can you interrogate him? We might yet still be able to broker a peace or alliance between your King and our Lady.
8
The goblins may yet try to lay an ambush for us. Ask Tulip to go on ahead with an ally as she is our best scout, while we follow Louis's suggestion to reconnoitre in force.
5
I disguise Tulip, so she can take over the exchange, and follow Louis' advise. I teleport to the princess in order to warn her.
2
Jul 30 13
Louis wakes you at dawn. "The night guards said that a soldier rode through town before dawn. She asked questions while she watered her horse. Apparently the King of Arthana has heard a traveler's tale about people in Redrill Castle. She's riding to the castle to investigate." (DM rolls 1d20+4: 22!) Tulip adds, "When I came back from scouting, I found goblin tracks in the village. One goblin. Looked in windows."
We can't spare any people to track down the rider, we might best wait until she rides back through and go to Arthana which was our original plan. For now let us keep a careful watch on the goblin stronghold to make sure they aren't planning anything dire.
11
OK, let's do the exchange first, the rider hopefully takes the same route back. Does the hand know of a way to disable the shaman without killing him?
8
Asking the dragon about the hand may be our best bet of learning whether or not the owner was evil or not. But we should try to deal with the goblins first.
4
Jul 29 13
The hand extends a finger. A little spark of magic heals you of 1 HP. The hand staggers over to the pen and writes, "MAGIC TOO WEAK WITHOUT BODY. FIND MY ARM AND I CAN CAST CURE LIGHT WOUNDS. WITH MY WHOLE BODY I COULD CAST RAISE DEAD, FLAME STRIKE, ALL AT YOUR COMMAND." You nod politely, button the hand in your belt pouch, and sleep for the night.
Let's leave this till the morning. We're still waiting on the pact with Gorbizal to be completed and we need to rest and heal.
16
In the morning, ask the hand if it knows a way to block the shamans magic - at least for some hours...
6
Jul 26 13
Tulip (DM rolls 1d20: 18!) knows about the Hart: "That's an elf god, a stag. My tribe reveres the Hunter more, but neither god is evil. Their sacred chase turns the seasons." An old woman of the village (DM rolls 1d20: 15!) remembers a strange legend: in the winter days when Mother Frost ruled, docile deer walked into the village to feed the people. The goblin shaman (DM rolls 1d20: 1!) doesn't know Common or Orcish.
There's something fishy here. How can the hand still write? And why was its body cut up into many parts by what sounds like the followers of a good God? Sounds like necromancy. Get detect evil and cast it on the hand.
7
We know, that the elves use necromancy; the hand is necromantic preserved - ask the hand for a level 3 spell, and get a rest. Tomorrow we'll pay a visit to His Emerald Magnifience...
12
Does the goblin speak Elvish? They traded with the elves for their silver
4
As two, but also detect evil on the hand.
4
Well we sure don't have a Detect Evil right here and now, so nuts to that type of suggestion. Get a lockable box from the villagers or at least tie up a normal box, put hand in it, sleep until tomorrow.
1
Jul 25 13
The hand writes, "MY BODY IS IN THE CAVE OF TWO DOORS. BEFORE THE GOBLINS LIVED THERE, BEFORE THE EVIL SERVANTS OF THE HART AMBUSHED AND DIVIDED ME, IT WAS MY HOME. BODY WILL BE EASY TO GET. NO MORE THAN 3 OR SO PIECES AND THE GUARDIANS ARE PROBABLY DEAD. YOU ARE WOUNDED. COME CLOSE, LET ME GIVE YOU HEALING AS A PROOF OF MY POWER."
get a detect evil first
2
Ask for a level 3 spell instead, and me and my allies all need a rest. [This is a right hand we're talking about?]
6
Servants of the Hart, that likely means roayalty, possibly the elves.. we should ask the Tulip and locals about rumors and legends. We can also interrogate the captive goblins about this.
17
Get a coffer, line it with lead, place hand inside, lock coffer, seal with lead, bury it, and hope no one ever digs it up. Don't mess with sentient dismembered hands!
1
Jul 24 13
You scoop up the hand, take it to August's desk, and put a pen between its fingers. It drags itself over the page, laboriously scratching, in elegant script, "HELP ME COMPLETE MY BODY AND I WILL REWARD YOU WITH POWER. I WILL MAKE YOU MY RIGHT-HAND WOMAN." The hand crosses out the last three words and writes "SECOND IN COMMAND"
In command of what? Clearly this was a literate person, probably Cleric or Wizard. Maybe we should get a Detect Evil done on this thing. In the meantime, ask the hand "How many pieces, where, and how to reunite?"
12
Tell the hand "If death has no hold over you, than all the time in the world is enough for this work". Put the hand back in a bag from which it can't escape. This is some bad ju-ju and we have goblins and elves to worry about first...
4
OK, one hand in search of its body - I say challenge accepted, a whole body is easier to destroy... "I know the right personality to help us in your quest" [Question to the DM: is this a right or a left hand we're dealing with?]
2
Agree to help the hand, as it would be noble to help such a poor trapped creature. Tell it we're regaining our strength after fighting the goblin tribe, and are planning on questioning the Shaman in the morning. Can the hand write any info about the tribe and its missing body parts?
3
Jul 23 13
You tap Hugh (Tulip is out on patrol) and both of you follow the hand at a distance. (DM rolls 1d20: 13!) It looks like a white spider in the moonlight and disappears in the shadows, but you manage to stay with it. It's heading for the forest edge: maybe back to the goblin lair or some other forest destination. By the way, you don't have any spells memorized, except Magic Missile.
We could follow and get in trouble but possibly get more and better loot. Instead, Magic Missile the hand, retrieve it, and salvage the ring.
3
Whisper to Hugh "Let us not pursue this folly any further, be ready to pounce if it tries to get away" then magic missile the hand and retrieve it.
3
We're both weak and vulnerable, let's catch the hand and get back to the safety of the village quickly and quietly.
5
Send Hugh to take over for Tulip and follow the hand until it's clear wether it is heading for the lair. Then Tulip can pin it down with her bow.
3
Pick up the hand and take it back to August's house. Give it a sheet of paper and a pen/inkwell and see if it can write anything.
14
Jul 19 13
You roll over. Something flops out of your pouch. You peek through your eyelids and see that no one's near you. The severed hand has fallen on the floor. It crawls towards the door.
Stealthily pursue the hand until we can tell where it's headed.
11
Open the door for it and openly follow the hand.
6
Gently and silently wake one of our allies for back up and then follow the hand.
16
Jul 18 13
(DM rolls 1d20+2: 21!) Great success! "You can depend on me, Milady!" August is now Anna's loyal second-in-command. You suggest to Anna that she post extra guards around the village. You sleep in August's house with your group and the prisoner. (DM rolls 1d20: 3!) That night, you're awakened by a stealthy touch on your side. You're not sure if someone is trying to wake you or open your belt pouch.
Roll over, feigning sleep, to move the pouch out of reach. That way, whoever it is will have to reveal their intentions. If they persist in reaching for the pouch, raise an alarm.
10
#1, and prepare Sleep if possible.
7
Quietly whisper, "Yes, what is it?"
8
Slyly peek towards the touch while keeping it look as though my eyelids are closed.
1
Cast Sleep first and ask questions later - after everyone's hogtied.
1
Jul 17 13
Everyone cheers and votes for Anna, the wounded hero! August and Furze look peeved that they didn't win. Anna raises her sword. "Our fealty may be to Lady Lynette, but our hearts are with Lady Mearls! Command us in anything and we're at your service." The little remaining food is brought out for a feast. Anna says, "We can give you a house and servants, or horses and supplies if you must leave."
I think a house would be nice. I've always wanted a base of operations. What do you mean by servants?
2
Pull August aside and tell him "August, in the near future, there may be troubles with the Elf King, as well as the Goblins. The village needs a heroic leader right now, one they can turn to for inspiration in Dark Times." Counsel August and Anna to work together.
10
(Following #2 and add) We should be wary tonight, Goizabal now has to uphold his end of the bargin.
10
Jul 16 13
There follows a surprisingly complicated parliamentary meeting, with people invoking bylaws, August proposing a vote of no confidence in Furze, and a new election being called for. August turns to you. "As a noblewoman, you may stand as Lady Lynette's representative and propose a new leader of the village, from among your followers or the residents of the village."
"I suggest Anna; she is brave, and she knows you and you know her."
19
His Emerald Munificence will be a worthy leader of the town. You will all serve him well and he shall protect you henceforth, or perhaps eat you if he's hungry.
3
Solemnly hold up the severed hand and turn in a slow circle so everyone can see their new leader. lol
2
Jul 12 13
You and August go to the central bonfire. Anna, bandaged, is telling the rapt villagers how she stood back to back with Hugh and cut down goblins until she was overwhelmed. "And how many goblins are left to seek revenge?" asks Furze. August answers: "Less than yesterday. Perhaps now we should seek our own revenge? Lady Mearls, what do you think: can our militia wipe out the remaining goblins?"
"I can't give numbers, as we didn't get too deep into their lair; however, we have their shaman in custody and one goblin wants to exchange him for his Kings head - that is a good chance for an ambush."
5
"Revenge will only breed more revenge. I have planted a seed of rebellion among the goblins. Let us see if it bears fruit." Explain to the village about my pact with Goizabal.
7
(Following #2 and add) Let us see if our seed of rebellion bears fruit, that the goblins had access to a ballista and dark magical traps is a worrisome sign.
16
As #2 and #3, but also suggest we prepare for the chance that Goizabal double crosses us. Just to be safe.
3
Jul 11 13
Your party and August share his porridge and Tulip's venison. A villager comes to summon August to a council. "Will any of you come with me?" asks August. "Furze will not like it, but I hope that tonight we can choose someone less stubborn as village head. If a village meeting sounds too dull for a noble adventurer, tell me what happened with the goblins and I'll pass it on."
Hugh and I should go to the meeting and tell our story.
4
"I will accompany you. Hugh, stay with our friends, I do not trust Furze will not get up to mischef while I am away,"
17
Jul 10 13
Cha check: (DM rolls 1d20+2: 7!) "Goblin spies wouldn't know about Lady Lynette," murmurs the blond man at Furze's side. Furze replies, "Not now, August. Test them with cold iron. Keep them under guard. We'll have a council tonight when Anna wakes up." August shrugs and touches you all with his dagger. "Will you be my honored guests?" he asks. "You'll keep your weapons. Only your goblin will be bound."
"I was just about to ask you to do that - and keep him silent and away from silver, he's the local shaman. And perhaps you should keep us in your midst, just in case of spying goblin eyes."
21
Jul 9 13
You banish your goblin disguise. You gesture at Anna (DM rolls 1d20+2: 4!) but the lead villager doesn't pay any attention. Others rush to help her. "Goblin magic! Hold your weapons ready!" insists the leader. Another villager sidles up to him and says quietly, "This matches the elf's story, Furze. Maybe they really fought the goblins. They're wounded, they need help." The villagers look uncertain.
"Furze, get your head out of your ass and help us get Anna and this ballista back to your village! That might be in the line of your braveness!"
6
"Furze, your neglect of you fellow villagers will no doubt be brought to the attention of Lady Lynette." To the villagers "Please untie Huntress Tulip at once. We have much to accomplish upon our return to Henstow, and need all hands unbound."
12
"Furze, I commend you for your vigilance in protecting your village. We offer no resistance, and ask only that you tend our wounded."
4
Jul 8 13
You feed the blood to Louis. He opens his eyes. Hugh loads and points the ballista. Warriors from the human village come into view, escorting Tulip. How was her Charisma check? (DM rolls 1d20: 3!) Pretty bad! Her hands are bound and she's under guard. "I knew it! The elf led us into an ambush!" shouts the lead villager. The others draw arrows and swords.
Since the blood is "lost" to Louis, redirect their attention to Anna: "good you're here to help! we had trouble with some goblins!"
4
Like option one, but revert from my disguised self back to natural form.
22
Clearly, these villagers are insane, and/or are very very stupid. Still annoyed that they refused to offer us breakfast yesterday, and were generally very rude, I fire the ballista at them.
5
Jul 2 13
The second Moon Girl escapes. You fill a vial of Moon Girl Blood. You can only heal 1 HP. Louis and Anna are unconscious, you have 2 HP left, and Hugh is at 4/12. (DM rolls 1d20: 11!) As you're considering, you hear loud rustling from the south: a large group approaching.
Since Louis is the better trained fighter, I'm prepared to give the blood to him; however, I wait til I see the group. Meanwhile Hough should reload the ballista.
20
Reload the ballista and give Louis the blood now.
13
Give blood to Louis, all sneak away from ballista and hide. They might be friendly, or might notice the ballista but not us.
3
Drink the blood myself.
1
Jul 1 13
Hugh swivels the ballista and pulls the lever. (DM rolls 1d20: 11!) The giant arrow thunks into a tree. You (DM rolls 1d4+1: 5!) (DM rolls 1d8: 2!) have better luck. In a shower of silver sparks, a Moon Girl falls to your missile. The other one flees. Nothing is visible of her but a silver glow to the east.
Send a magic missile after her and collect the body of the dead Moon Girl. Her blood should at least be enough to revive our unconscious comrades, and letting her bleed out on our own corpse can't harm...
10
#1 plus reload the ballista and be more careful for other dangers.
9
Jun 28 13
You and Hugh start pushing the ballista through the forest. It's slow going in your battered state, but you're making progress. Monster check: (DM rolls 1d6: 6!) Unlucky roll! (DM rolls 1d20: 17!) You (DM rolls 1d20: 9!) don't notice the (DM rolls 1d4: 2!) 2 silvery Moon Girls until they're a few yards away.
Hugh, shoot one with the ballista! I'll magic missile the other one!
6
That's not so bad, since its daytime, they'll act like deer and aren't so aggressive. They're more 'wolfish' at night. But their blood can heal us and we need that blood! Hugh shoot one with the ballista! I'll magic missile the other one! Blood blood blood! We need their blood!
16
Attempt to seduce the moon girls. Maybe they're into chicks....
5
Ballista and Magic Missile THE SAME ONE to ensure a kill. We don't need the blood of two Moon Girls.
7
Hey, we don't know anything about Moon Girls being less aggressive in the daytime. That's player knowledge, not character knowledge.
3
Jun 27 13
(DM rolls 1d20+2: 3!) The goblin growls. "Human no trust. I leave head, I take god man. This promise Goizabal." He holds his sword hand above yours ceremoniously. His hilt is a clawed hand that's digging into his flesh with bloody nails. A few drops of blood fall on your hand. Then the goblin joins his minions and ushers them inside the door.
Let's wait for him at the boulders, where we can at least hide our dead respective unconscious comrades from any hostile action. I take a nap, so by the time the goblin comes back I might have at least one spell ready again.
2
Gather our wounded and return to the village. Leave the ballista if we have to.
5
Same as 2 above, but disable the ballista if we need to leave it.
15
goblins coming to the village? I trust this Goizabal, I think, but that's even more reason to get the ballots to town. Same as 1, but wait for our friends to just back to the village.
3
Jun 26 13
(DM rolls 1d20+2: 16!) The goblin approaches closer. Quietly, he says, "Elfs trick. Give me god man now and go away, and tonight I drink king's blood and we give you food and we kill elves."
It's a trap! Use the pearl to recall sleep and cast it on him NOW!
4
Pearl was used already to cast sleep on the Shaman
Curses. Put the hand on the shamans neck and tell it quietly to keep him unconscious, then pull him off the ballista.
5
No. Once you drink chief's blood, bring head to the village. Then you get god man...
10
You are strong. We will give you the god man, and wait for you in the village.
1
Jun 25 13
The goblin leader sends the goblins running to their lair. They wait at the door and watch. He approaches you, red-bladed scimitar in hand. "Leave god man, take me! He slow you, I help push the..." he gestures at the ballista.
No! Goblin's steal food from Human-town. You give food back and stop bothering humans, then we give you god-man. You make good deal, save god-man, then maybe you be new chief. Why goblin's take Elf-King silver to bother humans anyway? That bad deal for Goblin, Elf-King tricked you.
17
"Okay, you push. But we keep the god-man until we reach the human village. Then you take him back."
1
You drop weapon, you push, then we talk.
3
Jun 24 13
(DM rolls 1d20+6: 17!) With the shaman dangling upside down in front of the ballista arrow, your threat is pretty believable. How much do the goblins (DM rolls 1d20: 14!) and their leader (DM rolls 20d: 20!) like the shaman? The little goblins mutter angrily and reach for their arrows, but the leader waves them back. In halting Orcish, he says, "No kill god man! We go?" He points towards the goblin lair.
Yell that they can go, and track across with the ballista as they pass until they're inside the hill.
20
[Did you just roll 20 d1 and get 20? SWEET]
1
Jun 21 13
You drape the bodies over the ballista. With that weight on it, the two of you will need some good strength checks to get it moving fast: (DM rolls 1d20: 19!) (DM rolls 1d20+2: 4!) You get it about halfway when the goblin patrol, four little and one big goblin, stroll out of the woods about sixty feet away from you. They're surprised to see you. You and Hugh go first.
Announce that we are holding their shaman hostage and pledge to release him when we get to safety. If they follow or attack, we will be forced to kill him.
11
Have Tulip start hitting them (especially the big goblin) with arrows. The rest of us keep pushing the ballista for the jumble of boulders.
4
Thinking that, being goblins, they won't really care if we have their shaman as a hostage or not. Instead I unleash magic missile at one of the small goblins. Perhaps a show of deadly force will drive them back.
4
Magic missile one of the little goblins, and have Tulip start bow fire on the big one.
2
[Concerning #2 and #4: Tulip is on her way to the village...]
3
Jun 19 13
Monster check: (DM rolls 1d6: 6!) (DM rolls 1d20: 12!) After an hour, you and Hugh hear goblin voices approaching the clearing from the south. The ballista and the firewood are in front of the hacked door in the hill, and Anna, Louis and the goblin shaman are lying unconscious nearby. A hundred feet to the east is another door in the hill. A hundred feet to the west is a jumble of boulders.
Quickly kill the Shaman and help Hugh pull Anna and Louis behind the boulders.
2
[I assume the ballista has to be pushed?] I lay Anna, Louis, Dewey's corpse and the Shaman on the ballista and we roll it over to the boulders, where we pull all but the Shaman off it.
16
Kill shaman, pull Anna and Louis to some other cover besides the boulders (which are clearly a secret goblin entrance which these goblins will use and discover us)
3
Tie unconcious shaman to the loaded ballista and point it to the edge of the clearing where we hear the goblin voices. If they enter the clearing, shoot it at them, killing the shaman and intimidating the hell out of the goblins.
5
Jun 18 13
Everyone takes 75 SP, and you give yours to Hugh for Dewey's family. (DM rolls 1d6: 1!) It's afternoon. You, Tulip and Hugh are up but injured. You have a ballista, two unconscious people, and a corpse. The village is an hour's walk if you were unencumbered.
I send Tulip to the village for some help, while Hugh and I guard the ballista and the bodies.
10
Fire the goblin shaman into the sky then disable the ballista. Carry the wounded back to town
1
Ask tulip to use her nature skill to find some healing herbs to patch up the unconscious and wake them, then everyone walk back to town with corpse and ballista.
8
Spike (Disable) the ballista, return to town with the shaman in tow.
3
I didn't see a description of how the ballista moves. Do you pull it, or does it move on it's own?
3
Bandage up, burn the ballista, use the unburned sticks and strips of goblin-clothes to make 3 v-shaped travois to drag the three bodies back to town.
1
Jun 17 13
Louis is still out and Anna is (DM rolls 1d2: 1!) alive and unconscious. You find a bloody Dewey under more goblins. (DM rolls 1d2: 2!) Dewey is dead! Worst episode of Duck Tales ever! As Tulip trusses the shaman, Hugh says a few words of farewell. Hugh has leveled up: he's a level 2 fighter now. You gather 450 silver coins. Hugh says, "We've fought and died for you. How will treasure be split?"
Evenly among the party. I offer my share as thanks for Dewey's sacrifice.
10
[question to the dm: what level is Tulip?] A little higher than you, like 4 or 5.
1
Evenly among the party, including Dewey, and give his share to cover funeral arrangements.
7
"For me? We serve the Princess, remember? Let's deduct from the silver for Dewey's arrangements and a sum for his family. We can split the remainder.
4
DM question: how much would a raise dead be or maybe the elves would do it gratis? The nearest great temples are days away in Arthana or Canticle. The elves tend to prefer reincarnation.
Well the right thing to do would be to find a way to raise our fallen friend. The village we just came from might have a cleric or witch that could cast Gentle Repose for us.
7
Jun 14 13
(DM rolls 1d4+1: 2!) (DM rolls 1d20+2: 15!) Your spell batters the goblin king, and your enchanted words cow him. He lurches towards the entrance, changes his mind when he sees Tulip and Hugh advancing, and retreats into the darkness. His four minions flee after him, ignoring you because you look like a goblin. The ballista and silver coins are left behind. Anna and Louis are lying among the goblin bodies.
Quickly wave tulip over to help you. Turn the ballista around and fire at the goblin king.
6
Check Anna & Louis' bodies and try to stabilize them if possible. Louis was unconcious from before, so its not a surprise he's still out. Search the area for Dewey, take the silver and anything else of value, head to town to rest. Could the town use the ballista?
6
Same as no 2, but tie the sleeping goblin shaman to the ballista and fire him off into the sky!
4
Number 2, but the shaman will make an EXCELLENT prisoner. He'll know more about this alliance with the Elf King.
15
Same as 2, but Make sure to tie up the Shaman, search his body and remove anything he can use for magic or to free himself, and gag him before he wakes up.
3
Jun 13 13
(DM rolls 1d4+1: 3!) (DM rolls 1d20+2: 8!) You zing the king. In accented Orcish, he shouts, "I smash head!" (DM rolls 1d20+2: 10!) You block his swing with your arm. More foul liquid spills from the mace and burns you. You're down to 2 HP. Allies at the cave entrance: (DM rolls 1d20: 20!) Tulip and Hugh both slice down goblins. (DM rolls 1d20: 8!) The remaining four back away, towards you and the king.
Zap him with another Magic Missile and shout "You can escape with your life if you're quick!" and point toward the dungeon exit.
8
DM Question: As a Wizard with a 18 INT should we have a bonus 1 and 2 level spell slot [...]? I think the bonus cantrips instead of the bonus spells.
4
What about Anna and Dewey's attacks for the last couple of rounds? Anna and Dewey are down.
Fire a magic missile at the King. "Surrender now or die!"
1
Fire a magic missile at the King, and try to intimidate. "Surrender now or I will blast you so hard your ancient ancestors will cry out in PAIN"
2
Direct his attention to our approaching allies and declare "You'll die alone!". Magic missile him if possible.
2
Pearl of Recall Sleep and use it on the king.
3
Jun 12 13
The shaman drops. The pot clangs. Silver coins spray onto the floor. The king jumps down and swings his mace at you. (DM rolls 1d20+2: 13!) It clanks off your mithril armor. Vile-smelling water pours from the mace's bull mouth and trickles through your armor. Your chest burns (1 damage). You have 3 hp left. (DM rolls 1d20: 7!) (DM rolls 1d20: 3!) At the cave mouth, Tulip and (DM rolls 1d3: 2!) Hugh are fighting back to back amid goblin bodies.
Laugh and shout at the Goblin Chief in Orcish, "HaHa! See how the human and elven troops slaughter your troops! The elven King has played you for a fool!" Blast the Chief with Magic Missle.
13
Grab a handful of coins and throw them in the Kings face, then push him in front of the ballista and fire it!
7
Straight up flee, we have 3 HP. Magic Missile the king if it wouldn't slow us down.
8
Jun 11 13
You grunt and point to something in front of the ballista arrow. (DM rolls 1d20+2: 9!) The goblin king (DM rolls 1d20+2: 20!) grabs you by the throat, shouts something in Goblin while pointing to the battle, and then tosses you a few feet down the tunnel. Behind the ballista, you see a goblin shaman run up, holding a cauldron full of silver coins. He throws a handful of coins, and a giraffe-striped snake appears.
Is Goblin close enough to Orcish that I can figure out what he ordered? *rolls 20* "Fight or make illusions!"
4
What spells or abilities do we have left?
1
We actually do have sleep, we recalled it on Jun4 and never used it. I say we get behind the Shaman so nobody can watch us cast Sleep on the goblins the boys are fighting.
7
Distract the shaman, sucker punch him and take back our silver.
4
Recall Sleep and use it on the Shaman and the King.
10
Jun 10 13
You use Disguise Self to mimic a huge goblin and banish Invisibility as you push through the swarm of goblins. (DM rolls 1d20+2: 14!) They let you by. As you approach, the goblin king yells at you in Goblin and points back the way you came, brandishing his mace at you. If you get closer, you'll risk a swat from the mace. (DM rolls 1d20+2: 13!) (DM rolls 1d20+2: 22!) (DM rolls 1d20+4: 19!) You hear screams and clashing weapons behind you.
Redirect the Goblin Kings attention on something on the other side of the ballista and hurry to fire him off!
20
Jun 7 13
As you're hammering, (DM rolls 1d20: 14!) the door bursts open, pushing everyone aside. Goblins spill out. The ones in the front swing axes: (DM rolls 1d20: 12!) (DM rolls 1d20: 5!) (DM rolls 1d20: 2!) Anna and Hugh jump away, and your enchanted chain mail protects you. Behind the goblins you see a ballista armed with a huge flaming arrow. Atop the ballista is a crowned goblin with a grotesquely muscled arm swinging a bull-headed mace.
I disguise myself as a (huge) goblin and go to fire the goblin king into the sky.
14
Cast Sleep on the goblins outside and just inside the door. Hugh and Anna grab sleeping goblins as shields and advance to block the doorway. Tulip fires at the King then he and I scuttle to the side out of LOS of the ballista.
6
sleep was already cast and hasn't yet been recalled
Run away!
3
[Should I say "You're fired" or sing "Rocketman" when firing the ballista?]
Jun 6 13
(DM rolls 1d6: 3!) You hammer spikes under the door and begin gathering brush (DM rolls 1d20+4: 9!) (nothing exotic). From the other side, the goblins (DM rolls 1d20: 15!) splinter the bottom of the door and push the spikes out. Hugh and Anna (DM rolls 1d20: 9!) hold the door closed in case the goblins try to leave. Tulip has a pyre nearly built. You can start a medium fire now or a big one if you can hold the goblins inside for a little longer.
Help Hugh and Anna so Tulip can build a BIG fire.
6
No 1, and respike the door on the side with the doorhandle, or the top, instead of the bottom.
16
They surely have more than one door. Time to scamper.
3
Jun 5 13
(DM rolls 1d20: 16!) You slaughter the goblins and back out of the room, Tulip with an arrow on the string and Hugh carrying Louis. As you're leaving, you see flickering light on the wall of the goblin passage. You duck under the wires in the entrance passage and make it to the dungeon door. Creaking sounds follow you down the passage. You leave the dungeon and slam the door. (DM rolls 1d6: 6!)
Spike the door shut. Gather brush. Goal: Light a fire inside the passage and close the door to smoke out the goblins or find a secret entrance. Bonus if we use poison sumac or similar plant (gather with gloves on!).
6
Same as No. 1 but also burn the hand.
2
Find a safe spot to make camp, prepare spells, and heal. It looks like we should be able to level up if we rest, correct? Oops, no, I didn't update the new XP goal.
1
Find a safe spot to make camp, prepare spells, heal, and contemplate over the hand - perhaps it could teach us a new spell?
6
1+4
10
Jun 4 13
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 19!) The hand makes an "OK" gesture and then points towards the unexplored passageway. Hugh (DM rolls 1d20: 13!) starts bandaging Louis while Tulip stands over the three sleeping goblins. Around the corner of the goblin door, you hear approaching creaking, like cart wheels turning, and excited goblin laughter.
Have tulip kill and loot the sleeping goblins quickly. Then head down the unexplored passage.
7
OK, I help Hugh get Louis through that door, while Tulip is rearguard aiming at the goblin door.
5
Dispatch the sleeping goblins, head back to the entrance, leave Louis with the guardswoman, recall Sleep, and prepare to re-enter the complex with Hugh, Dewie, and Tulip.
9
Tie up the goblins so I can interrogate them later.
1
out of spells, wounded, and a nearly dead companion? Exploring deeper is a bad idea, time to rest and level up
Jun 3 13
You rescue the unconscious Louis. Hugh drops the portcullis and closes the door, trapping the skeletons. With the skeleton door behind you, there is a passage right (the way you came). Ahead of you is an open doorway with goblins skulking behind it, and next to it, a dark passage turning right. Tulip has her bow trained on the goblin doorway. The severed hand snaps its fingers wildly.
Put the severed hand in my mouth and bite down to keep it from snapping its fingers.
1
Explain to the severed hand that you are its new master, and the goblins are its enemy.
10
Recall Sleep, cast at the goblins, retreat to the village.
9
I Tie the hand under my foot, so that I walk on the hand, and we go back right with Tulip as rearguard.
3
Have Tulip take out the goblin, and perform a heal check on Louis. Ignore the right hand passage as it is trapped.
1
May 31 13
You cast Sleep. The three distant goblins fall. You draw your dagger as you become visible. Louis (DM rolls 1d20+1: 19!) kills a skeleton. Two attack Louis (DM rolls 1d20: 19!) (DM rolls 1d20: 7!) (DM rolls 1d6: 3!) and he drops in a bloody heap. One more skeleton stands up. The three of them turn to you! In Tulip's room, a goblin darts out from behind a corner but (DM rolls 1d20+4: 22!) (DM rolls 1d8+4: 11!) Tulip drops it. Hugh (DM rolls 1d20+1: 21!) wrestles the portcullis open. "Hurry!" he grunts.
Dive under the portcullis sending a fireball in the direction of the skeletons
2
Dive under portcullis without pointlessly wasting a Fireball.
3
Drag Louis under the portcullis and retreat. Hopefully the Skeletons will dispatch the 3 sleeping goblins.
28
May 30 13
When you tug at the ring, the hand curls into a tight fist. Louis releases the portcullis and (DM rolls 1d20: 15!) smites one of the 3 skeletons. (DM rolls 1d20: 15!) (DM rolls 1d20: 10!) One rakes Louis, (DM rolls 1d6: 3!) injuring him. One more stands up. Beyond the portcullis, Tulip and Hugh (DM rolls 1d20+4: 17!) (DM rolls 1d20: 19!) stomp the mini-goblins. Two normal-sized goblins enter and (DM rolls 1d20: 13!) (DM rolls 1d20: 5!) shoot arrows wide of Tulip. Behind, a giant ropy-muscled goblin whirls a scimitar.
Cast sleep on the three goblins and take the silver dagger to the hand's ring finger trying to sever the finger from the rest of the hand.
16
Hold the hand aloft and command the skeletons to attack the goblins.
3
Let the others fight, but go around retrieving pelvises and smashing them to stop the flow of skeletons rising (which lets us keep Invisibility).
4
May 29 13
It's a fresh woman's hand. (DM rolls 1d20+4: 21!) It wears a diamond ring that radiates death magic. Tulip fires (DM rolls 1d20+4: 18!) at a skeleton and scatters its bones. Louis and Hugh (DM rolls 1d20+1: 14!) (DM rolls 1d20+1: 8!) raise the portcullis about a foot. Three skeletons assemble and approach Louis, their only visible target. In the other room, a wave of tiny goblins run in, wielding little swords and torches, and run towards Tulip and Hugh.
put on the ring and command the skeletons to stop.
11
Cast Sleep on the goblins, and alert Louis about the approaching skeletons.
3
Hold the hand up to my invisible mouth and use my Enchantress ability to redirect everyone's attention to the hand, as I command the skeletons and goblins to cease at once.
5
Cram the bag under the portcullis, so that the others can fight, take the ring off the hand and stow it. Prepare to let the goblins fall asleep, but wait til they attack Tulip or Hugh.
7
May 28 13
(DM rolls 1d20: 15!) Rooting around in the bag, you uncover a human hand. You pick up the bag. A portcullis drops in the open doorway, cutting you and Louis off from Tulip and Hugh. (DM rolls 1d6: 5!) You see a tiny three-inch-tall goblin scuttle into Tulip's room. (DM rolls 1d20+1: 12!) Hugh grunts and squashes it with his boot. Then your attention is distracted: in your room, bones are rising from the floor to become skeletons.
do we have a way to dispel illusions? You might.
Are we still Invisible? Yes.
Pass the silver necklace to Louis, and instruct him to use it to strike any goblin enchantments, starting with the bones and portcullis. Examine the hand.
1
Same as No. 3, but use Enchantress Obi-wan ability on Louis in case he's not seeing through the illusions.
1
As #3, except instead of giving him the necklace (we have no indication that silver banishes illusions), have him use his sword, assuming it's made out of steel.
7
Eat an apple and enjoy the show.
1
Let Tulip take aim throug the portcullis, while Louis and Hugh try to raise the portcullis with a strength check. Check the hand for magical abilities and prepare to fire a magic missile.
9
Put the hand, bag, and any other contents back on the throne. Order Louis to run around stomping the bones before they stand up. Tell Tulip and Hugh to raise the portcullis.
3
May 23 13
(DM rolls 1d20: 7!) (DM rolls 1d6: 4!) The chair is fastened to the ground by metal bolts. It's large and thronelike and faces the open door. The bag on its seat seems to be filled with rocks and dirt. Echoing from beyond Tulip and the soldiers, you hear high-pitched goblin shouts.
Grab the bag and order a retreat.
3
Grab the bag and set an ambush.
3
examine the bolts and set an ambush.
1
Get everyone behind the throne, tie something ropey to the bag and hold the other end from behind the throne. When enemies appear, yank the bag!
11
No 2 above, and look closely at the rocks/dirt in case it's an illusion (disbelieve). Reassure Louis, Hugh, and Tulip that we can face another group of goblins, I still have Sleep prepared.
15
Numbers 4 and 5
2
Hm... smells trappy. Find something in my bag (or the others' bags) that looks like it weighs the same as the bag on the throne, and do the Indiana Jones switcheroo.
2
May 22 13
(DM rolls 1d20: 20!) The goblin runs right into your dagger. Because this was a crit, you manage to disguise from the universe the fact that this was an attack, and you stay invisible. The goblin slides off the dagger, confusion in its eyes as it dies by an invisible blade. Tulip says, "If there are more nearby, they must have heard us."
Have Tulip and the guards cover the doors, and examine the chair.
17
May 21 13
(DM rolls 1d20: 12!) The chair is fixed to the floor. Tulip (DM rolls 1d20+4: 17!) (DM rolls 1d8+4: 6!) drops a goblin. Hugh (DM rolls 1d20+1: 17!) slashes the swinging, screaming pendulum; it vanishes in a glitter of dust. Louis runs into the room and (DM rolls 1d20+1: 5!) swings at the last goblin, who is running towards the chair. You're between the goblin and the chair, invisible.
I let the goblin run into my dagger.
10
I step aside and trip the goblin.
8
I eat an apple.
2
I appear suddenly out of nowhere, regally standing before the stone throne, and blast the cowardly goblin into a pulpy mass with the fearsome power of MAGIC MISSLE. (time to join the fight, don't want to chance yet another miss)
6
I duck down and let the goblin trip over me
6
I put on my robe and wizard hat...
1
May 20 13
Tulip shoots (DM rolls 1d20+4: 9!) while the soldiers charge (DM rolls 1d20+1: 8!) (DM rolls 1d20+1: 2!). One goblin shoots (DM rolls 1d20: 5!). The other throws something which becomes a shrieking pendulum swinging from the open doorway. It swings at Hugh. (DM rolls 1d20: 7!) Everything misses. You and the goblins have backed into a room littered with bones. There's a stone chair on a dais with a plump sack on the seat. There's a closed door in the back of the room.
Kill the goblins!
2
Push the stone chair against the closed door to block the goblin's retreat, and possible reinforcements (and stay invisible).
10
If the door opens inward (hinges on this side), quietly get on the side where the door will open to cover you and cast Sleep on these two goblins. If it doesn't open in, screen yourself with the chair instead.
8
Since I'm invisible, I don't want to attack while fighting.. but maybe I can try and get behind them, make loud noises, try to distract them, and give my team a bonus to attack.
4
Open the sack!
1
May 17 13
As you pull out the arrow, you mutter a word and vanish. You crouch and run forward into the dark. (DM rolls 1d20: 11!) You can hear goblins around you. Tulip (DM rolls 1d20+4: 7!) fires an arrow and misses. Hugh and Louis duck and advance with sword and torch, revealing two goblins at the end of the cavern. The goblins shoot: (DM rolls 1d20: 1!) (DM rolls 1d20: 12!) one of their bowstrings breaks. The goblins back away through a door to the left.
Watch out for more traps and open the left door, making sure no-one is in the doorway (arrow target) when we do.
6
Try to get behind the goblins who went through the door.
8
Sorry, unclear on the description. Is the doorway the goblins are backing away through still open, one retreating with a bow and the other preparing a melee weapon? Yes.
Stay invisible, have tulip shoot the goblin with the bow while High and Louis charge forward.
11
Close the door to prevent the other goblins escape, as your friends attack it.
3
May 16 13
Anna and Dewey stay behind. The four of you advance into a small unworked cavern big enough for you to stand upright. As you advance, (DM rolls 1d20+4: 21!) Tulip stops you and points to some wires across the cavern at neck height. (DM rolls 1d6: 5!) As soon as she points, arrows fly from the darkness ahead. (DM rolls 1d20: 4!) (DM rolls 1d20: 17!) One misses Tulip and the other strikes you, sinking through your mithril armor for (DM rolls 1d6: 6!) 6 damage.
Drop to the ground and shoot the wires with magic missile.
2
Cast Invisibility, and sneak forward under the wire.
8
Shout colorful curses at the attacker in Orcish, seek cover, and sent the guards forward under the wire.
5
Throw torch toward arrow origin. Tumble beneath the wire and cast magic missle our attacker
5
Cast Invisibility, then throw a lit torch over the wire to light up the direction the arrows came from, and then proceed to sneak under the wire.
3
Web!
1
May 15 13
(DM rolls 1d6: 4!) Search: (DM rolls 1d20: 8!) No apparent traps, and you hear nothing. You cautiously open the left door and peer into darkness. The passage is about 4 feet high, and wide enough for two. Who's going in (of you, Tulip, Anna, Hugh, Dewey, and Louis), what's your marching order, and do you bring lights?
Anna was brave enough to follow us; let her guard the door with a soldier of her choice. For the marching order: Tulip with her keen elven senses first, then me, magic missile at the ready, and the other two soldiers with torches in the back.
15
Tulip up front, then the soldiers, Anna by my side holding the torch.
1
May 14 13
The guardsman you first met, Anna, apologetically shares her porridge with you and joins your party. On the way, Tulip goes hunting: (DM rolls 1d20+4: 17!) She comes back with a deer, which she dresses and shares with the group. Leftovers should last a few days. (DM rolls 1d6: 2!) (DM rolls 1d6: 3!) The lair is an hour away, in forested hills. There are two neat little wooden doors into the base of one of the hills, and no guards in sight.
Search the immediate area. Looking around for any traps and then listening carefully to both doors. Looks like the left door is the one...
15
Cautiously advance, into the complex, following the goblin's recommended path of "left door, left door, right, right, left, left." Stopping periodically to listen and watch for traps.
13
question to dm: could we get a list of our skills and skill modifiers on our character sheet? Actually I'm just doing straight attribute rolls (+4 Int, +2 Cha).
Right door!
1
May 14 13
CHA: (DM rolls 1d20+2: 18!) You are very persuasive. You learn the location of the goblin lair. The goblins all agree that their tribe hasn't conquered the whole cave and you'll never survive its unknown dangers if you deviate from "left door, left door, right, right, left, left." You're getting hungry. The villagers are sharing a tiny breakfast and not giving any to you.
Final question to the goblins: "Who or what is Baphomet?"
4
Pointedly thank the villagers for their hospitality while we risk our lives to help them, and set out towards the goblin lair with Tulip (injuries bandaged), our guardsmen, and any village guards who volunteer to accompany us.
3
Number two, and let's try to find a meal on the way.
16
Cook the goblins. They're no use to us any more.
2
May 13 13
(DM rolls 1d6: 1!) There are no more night attacks. Tulip returns in the morning with (DM rolls 1d20: 1!) an injury. "Ambushed," she says. "The goblins are using their silver to make their illusions real. My arrows turned into snakes. I never saw the goblins with so much silver magic before. I didn't find their lair."
We need to find their lair. Talk to each of the goblins individually and have them describe the location to Tulip. And we tell them that anyone who describes a different location from the rest will lose his tongue for lying.
8
Let Tulip interrogate the goblins (no need to know...) and the soldiers patrol the roads. I cook some bait - perhaps they snore in their lair :-D
7
Interrogate the goblins to find their lair. No, Tulip doesn't get to vent her rage via interrogation. Soldiers patrol the roads, and I make some sleepy-time pies (or whatever pastry goblins like to eat).
5
Oh well, we tried. Continue on our journey to Arthanas.
1
Knowledge check: do we (or Tulip) know anything about goblin silver magic, particularly whether it destroys silver?
4
May 9 13
"The Elf King paid the Goblin King a great chest of silver, I saw it opened! The goblin king danced and smote his carrying-slaves with Baphomet, and the shaman threw coins in the air and they became bats which bit us. Spare my life and I will sneak into the goblin caves and steal the silver for you!"
"Oh, I have a far more lucrative task for you: I know of a mighty personality; if you tell him about the treachery of the Elf King, he sure lets you keep the silver and helps you to get more silver out of him!" (He doesn't have to know that it's a green dragon they'll be messing with...)
5
(Let's not waste a favor from the green dragon just yet!) We need to know more. What is Tulip's take on the situation?
13
Have the goblins held prisoner in the local jail (we might need them later), rendevous with our soldiers Hugh, Duey, and Lou. Prepare strike team against the goblins once Tulip returns with info on their local camp.
6
(That's the silver we gave him for Tulip!)
1
(That's only part of the silver we gave for Tulip; what was the rest used for?)
1
(Hey, why not provide the green dragon with some slaves?)
2
May 9 13
(DM rolls 1d20+4: 14!) You sense an illusion aura. You're not sure if it's one of those illusions that can do damage, and you'd rather not find out firsthand. Anna wakes one of the goblins and interrogates it: "Why did you start tormenting our village?" After growling and spitting, the goblin says that "the noble Elf King made a truce with us and paid us tribute if we would war with humans instead of elves."
"How much did he pay?" (Damn, this Elf King is getting on my last nerve. He makes war against his fellow elves. He sends goblins to attack his human neighbors. And he was willing to rent an assassin to the Princess's usurper. I'm glad I allied us with the Turlassens.)
15
I wonder how many tributes of goblins would be required to convince the Dragon into attacking his Elven King neighbor.
5
Mental note: let's interrogate Tulip about the Elf King - spanish inquisition style!
1
May 8 13
You cast Sleep. As goblins slide onto the ground, their steeds turn into normal horses stampeding right at you. (DM rolls 1d20: 14!) You and (DM rolls 1d20: 15!) Anna manage to grab two of the horses, and the other escapes into the darkness. Anna ties up the three goblins (one is sucking its thumb in its sleep). "Too bad we can't eat 'em," she says.
Yes, most prefer not too as it will make planting next year difficult. But if you get desperate enough, you can indeed eat the horses. Oh, you meant the goblins! No, you can't eat those!! Smile at Anna and let her know you were kidding. Prepare to interrogate the prisoners.
5
int check or knowledge arcana to identify the goblin reality warping power that affected the horses
11
When did the raids begin? Has no-one gone to Dennod for aid? Please also tell me about Lady Lynnette before we sleep for the night.
5
Why not eat the goblins?
1
Both 2 and 3.
6
May 6 13
The village, Henslow, is here. The guardswoman, Anna, shows you around. All its food is under guard at the bonfire. There are weapons, but the militia is south with the Duke and the local noble, Lady Lynnette. As you get to the stables, they burst open, and bird-headed horses gallop out at you, clacking rapier beaks and whinnying. Goblins ride them.
Loose the aura of Sleep to confound these goblins (and hopefully get one or two as prisoners).
19
Magic Missiel at the horses - maybe they collide and do more harm to each other...
3
Nice Map!
3
"To arms! To arms!" Call for assistance from our men and don't hurt the horses. Draw down the enchanment of sleep against our foes...
3
May 6 13
You introduce yourself and send Tulip and your soldiers on patrol. "'Bout time somebody come help us!" says a farmer. "The goblins have been eating the grains right out of the fields and stealing the sheep. They've raided the village for food the last few nights. We'll all be starved by harvest time." Another adds, "Blessings on your princess, whoever she is. Is she sending food?"
[Question to the DM: can we have a rough overview over the village?] Maybe I'll draw something!
3
Survey the village for anything that may be of use in hunting down the goblins (spare mounts, shops selling alchemical/magical supplies, etc) Do we recognize the name of the village (or Int check to know our location?) Look for the mayor or local lord.
4
[Question to the DM: How close is this village to Redrill castle?] Maybe 60 miles along the river.
2
Gather information so we have more of an idea of what we're dealing with. Goblins don't attack randomly; there's a reason. If we can focus our endevours, we have more likelihood of success.
3
2 and 4. Gather as much information as possible!
2 and 4 plus: "Esmarine is Princess of Redrill, and my sworn liege lady. I am sure that when she hears of this, her heart will be moved as is mine. But is there none else to help you? To what lord or lady are you vassals?"
24
May 2 13
You follow the crowd. Pale green goblins, along with a clumsy two-legged zebra and a skull-faced ogre, are struggling with villagers over sacks and boxes. You fire a magic missile (DM rolls 1d4+1: 2!) and injure a goblin, who drops a clay jar. The monsters scatter into the darkness, some clutching bundles. Two dead goblins are left behind. Voices from the crowd shout "My pickles!" and "My seed grain!"
Missing pickles and stolen seed grain!? This looks like a job for... Baroness Mearls!!!! Duh-duh-duuuuuh! Send Tulip to track the fleeing goblins and find their lair. Meanwhile, talk to the villagers and find out how long this has been happening, whats been stolen, and where we are.
1
Same as above, but make sure we are explicitly providing this aid in our official capacity as the Baroness of Crowther Grange in the name of Princess Esmarine.
4
All of the above, and don't forget to let the soldiers patrol the roads.
25
Let the filthy peasants run around in the dark chasing goblins. I require a meal, a bath, and a room in that order.
4
May 1 13
You hear screams and cackles from the other side of the village. Humans struggle with spindly figures around the bonfire. "I knew it! You were a distraction!" shouts the burly man. He and the crowd run towards the fire.
Magic Missile one of the figures while ordering your fellows to attack. Show the villagers that we aren't associated with the attackers.
16
DM: Are goblins in this world humanoid things that sleep, or horrible fey things? They are horrible fey things that sleep.
2
Cast sleep, trying to hit as many spindly figures as possible.
4
May 1 13
CHA check: (DM rolls 1d20+2: 22!) Crit! You not only get the woman's attention, you deeply impress her. She bows. "Pardon, y'ladyship," she says, gently touching you with the flat of her sword. "There's goblin 'lusions about and steel banishes 'em." Armed villagers run up. A burly man shouts at you, "Get out of here, bogie, you've stolen enough!" The crowd growls. The guardswoman takes your arm protectively.
Good people, I am no illusion, see your kin-woman has already touched me with her cold iron. Explain what troubles this village while my men at arms rest...
13
Tell me about the threat to your town and perhaps I can help...
1
[Did I actually use Charm? Or just my Enchantress ability to direct attention?] I was assuming it was the Enchantress ability.
1
"Good man, this is the first time I came to this village. Can you explain your troubles to me?" Use charisma to keep the attention on me and signal Tulip to sneak to the house - just in case...
3
Shout angrily, "Foolish lout! What kind of man hides in the tavern drinking ales while expecting women and children to defend the village!?! You are that kind of fool!!!" Point at the burly man. "One step forward and I'll have your head!" Signal Tulip. (Intimidate)
3
May 1 13
The boy runs off into the village, shouting. You see a commotion by the bonfire. The woman draws her sword. "Come forward and let me touch you with this sword, forester!" she yells to you.
Hold up your hands, approach her slowly and ask "What do you mean by Ã���Ã�¯Ã�¿Ã�½Ã��Ã�¯Ã��Ã�¿Ã��Ã�½Ã���Ã��Ã�¯Ã���Ã��Ã�¿Ã���Ã��Ã�½Ã���Ã�¯Ã�¿Ã�½Ã���Ã��Ã�Â...
12
"My goodness! That is not how we greet weary travellers back home in Redrill! I am the Baroness Mearls, and I demand that you explain yourself immediately! Glare haughtily at the woman. Guardsmen, at arms!"
6
Apr 30 13
(DM rolls 1d6: 1!) You finish your rations for dinner and make it safely to the Redrill River soon after nightfall. (DM rolls 1d6: 6!) You happen to come out of the forest a few hundred yards from a human village. There's a bonfire in the town square. A tall woman and a child are standing guard, holding torches and peering towards the forest, but they haven't noticed you.
"Tulip, go reconnoiter. We will wait here, just inside the treeline. If you're not back in ten minutes, we will assume something is wrong."
5
Are we familiar with any religious holidays that may be celebrated tonight? The Fire Festival was two weeks ago.
5
Use Invisibility and investigate while Tulip and the soldiers wait at the treeline.
6
Confidently stride forward towards the town, hailing the woman and child guards (oh my something is amiss...) with a friendly wave and cheerful hello!
6
[Question to the DM: how long does invisibility hold?] Let's say an hour.
1
Apr 29 13
You check the Charmed soldier - sure, his name is Hugh - and find that the enchantment aura around him is fading. Your men gather your few remaining rations, search quickly, and then leave. You have enough food for today, and the journey to the elven king will take you two days or more. A detour to the Redrill River would put you in human lands by nightfall.
We should head to human lands and at least rendezvous with Prismaticus and Mandra. They've probably got good info on the Duke by now, and we can send them back to the Princess to share our news, too. She needs to know about our alliance.
22
We could send our men back to rendezvous with Prismaticus and Mandra while we teleport to the Princess.
3
[Question to the DM: what would take more time - hunting for new rations or a detour to humans?] Hunting would be quicker, assuming you have good fortune.
2
[Question: How far away is Arthana, where we're supposed to meet up with Prismaticus and Mandra? And how many days has it been since we parted?] 1) Probably 4 or so day's travel 2) Not sure
1
Apr 29 13
"Since I am proof against poison, I agree." The dragon flies off, and you begin cooking. While the men are gathering herbs, you infuse the rations with Sleep. The dragon returns with a dire boar to add to the pot. Cooking check: (DM rolls 1d20+2: 4!) It smells wretched. The dragon eats a few bites. Save: (DM rolls 1d20+5: 13!) It yawns. It says, "Enough. I tire. Begone." It dives into the swampy river and vanishes.
Whew, close one! Relieved, turn to the soldier that had been under the dragons compulsion (Huey, Dewey, or Louie?) and tell him, "Note good sir, I did not betray the dragon during our negotiation of secrets. That should have released you from it charm." Search area and leave quickly
10
This is an omen. Instead of going deeper into these dangerous woods to speak with another mighty creature who could squash us (the Elf King), let us leave the forest and rejoin Prismaticus and Mandra in the city.
3
Can I secretly check wether the soldier is free? Let's hurry to be at least a few hours away before the dragon awakes and then find a hidden place to rest. Tulip should cover our tracks for the first few miles...
7
Apr 26 13
(The story continues from http://blogofholding.com/mearls/mearls.php?m=lev2) "Our trading is finished. There is the matter of my tribute, and then you can go." The dragon yawns, displaying sword-long teeth. "Give me one of your men, or some other treasure or morsel of equal value."
Cough meaningfully and look offended. "Since I am your guest here, perhaps you should present my tribute first."
4
Give him the man he already turned into his spy - we can't trust him anymore.
8
Offer to cook him a fancy meal, use all of our travelling rations to make a dragon-size feast, mix Sleep spell into the food.
20
But you have already taken one of my men from me... it is clear that he is your servant now and not mine. Free him, and we can discuss tribute fairly.
11
"Our business is concluded." Ready Magic Missile.
2

Join this game (get email when it's your turn)

Back to Blogofholding.com